close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question for those of you who compete in IDPA with Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by akapennypincher, Nov 19, 2004.

1. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

What equipment do you use, what modification to your Glock have you made, and is small caliber like 9mm to small?

19, 17, 34 O.K. for Gaming?

2. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

The first year I shot IDPA I used a G30 with night sites and a trigger job. Blade-Tech holster and mag pouch. If I were going to buy a Glock specifically for IDPA it would be a G34 due to ammo cost and its light recoil.

3. cnemikeman

cnemikeman

IDPA.....if your main goal is gaming, and it doesn't need to be dual purpose gun.......go with the 34. Holster wise, Sidearmor, Bladetech, Comp-tac, etc..... will all work. A double mag pouch and you're all set. There isn't a 'power factor' rule for major/minor like in USPSA, so 9 is fine.
    Enjoy. It's a blast. Pun intended. ;c ;c

4. akapennypincher

Thanks,.....;)

5. Joe D

Joe D Guest

The 9mm is less expensive to shoot, but the G35 is more versatile. The G35 is also softer shooting when loaded to a 130 PF.

6. Glenairguy

Glenairguy

I have also found that the G34 when downloaded to power floor has more of a tendancy to suffer limp wrist problems, especially when fired weak hand only. The G35 shoots softer when loaded at 100 fps above power floor, and isn't as prone to limp wristing.

7. akapennypincher

Why not a Glock 17 L/S, as it is Cheaper than a G-34....

8. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

The 17L and the 24 wont fit in the IDPA box. For more details on what Glock's can be used for IDPA competition refer to the attached rule book

9. Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS Typical Gun Nut Millennium Member

I used a G19 in Fobus holster with Fobus mag pouches... worked fine. I then switched to a G30 in a Sidearmor, worked great... I currently use a G34 in a Fobus and still works great...

Modifications: None. (except night sights on the G30 as it is my carry gun)

You can do very well with a bone stock Glock... I won a local match using the G34 and Fobus setup in ESP, and came in 4th place overall for the day. If I were getting it just for the gaming aspects of IDPA, that is probably what I would get.

ON a side note, please tell me where I can get a G17L cheaper than a G34? I would love to have one for a range toy! I can't find any, and when I do they are expensive!!

10. akapennypincher

From time to time GlockMeister has 17L's, at Gun Shows. think they were about 650 Clams...;)

11. TC Rider

TC Rider

G34 in a BladeTech works fine for me.

I've never had a problem limp wristing etc.

I used WW white box for a year and have now switched to the Rem Green box from Dick's. The White box hits around 133,000 on power factor, the green box I think is just under 130,000.

The G34 will also let you compete in either SSP or ESP. I currently have a set of Dawson fiber sights on mine.

12. Carlitos

Carlitos

Its really not important which Glock or holster you use for IDPA. Purists will tell you to use exactly what you carry. However, IDPA is a game w/rules & competitive scores (and I play it to win). Still, my equipment is nothing fancy:

-Stock Glock 17 w/ polished 3.5 connector & stock Glock factory installed extended mag release & slide release

-fiberoptic front blacked out from last couple of GSSF (you really do not need fiberoptic sights & they break at the worst times)

-Blade tech or Uncle mikes Kydex holster & mag pouches

The 17 is a GSSF model that cost me $396 new. My whole rig is under $500. I only use ammo loaded with 147 grain bullets. Try some compared to what you use now & then decide.

13. dukeofurl

dukeofurl

I use a Wilderness 5 stich belt and all sidearmor gear. I liked their stuff for competition so much I became a dealer.

The first match I shot with their OWB gear instead of my old Safariland/Galco setups - I took first in division.

I run a fairly stock Glock 34. I have adjustable night sights, a polish job, slightly cut trigger reset spring couretsy of the Missouri State Highway Patrol, and I swapped the trigger bar for a serrated one like from my Glcok 19.

9mm is fine - ammo is cheap, experience is expensive.

14. SureThing

SureThing

I have out shot 17, 34, and 35's with my 23. I'm doing a little better with my wife's 17. Honestly ANY are fine. I would not buy a 34,35 for it. It is not worth the extra $$ over say a 17 or a 22. But they are nice. I personally know 2-17, 2-23, 2-19, and 1-34. The 34/35 are the "gamer's" gun.

15. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

I have used a 17 and a 34 with no problems at all(limp wristing). I like the lighter trigger pull of the 34 but you could put one in the 17 and be fine.:)

16. SureThing

SureThing

I'm going to do that to my 17 BTW. My 17 is going to be my Gamer gun.

17. BizkitShooter

BizkitShooter

I use a G22 with a KKM barrel and night sights. No problems at all, runs great and accuracy is fantastic. I have contemplated a 3.5 lb connector, but haven't made the leap yet. I am getting pretty comfortable with the stock 5 lb.

The best holster is yer-basic Uncle Mikes paddle holster. At $20 it cant be beat. I have a double mag holder as well, but would really like a 3 mag holder (if they make one).

18. G19NDE

G19NDE

IDPA seems (I am VERY new to it) to be a great place to practice "Defensive Pistol". That is my primary use for it.

Therefore, I shoot my 2nd Generation G-19 with no modifications (but for the night sights). This is the same G-19 that I carry EVERY DAY.

In my observations, the shooters who do best are the ones who are intimately attached to their weapon.

I have been shooting the same G-19 for almost 10 years. I am an IDPA novice and I shoot very well because I am EXTREMELY "in tune" with my 19.

If you are shooting for sport or playing the game, feel free to experiment. I think that IDPA is best suited as a place to practice for the day I hope never comes.

19. mr glock-fl

mr glock-fl

Hi,
    I have shot the 26, 19, 17 and now the 34 which if your gaming it is the one you want. Shoot what ever makes you happy but-- there is a power factor (THE BOOK??) which is 125,000(147 gr at 851+ fps). It's a soft load so you will have to use a weaker spring- Matt from Custom Glock has been preaching this for awhile now(Yes, I have seen the light brother Matt!!)
    I am trying some at 900 fps which is more then enough with a 13 lb spring-works great like Brother Matt said. You can shoot AKA white box Winchester or UMC or WHATEVER makes you happy. You can game it or play it like a real shoot-"Just Do It" and enjoy.

Good Luck

20. murph2127

murph2127

I use a 17, I didn't like the longer 34, which makes me in the minority. I did put in the 3.5 connector and it's polished a bit. I have heinie sights on mine. If I had a dedicated game gun I might get those new adjustable sights from dawsons, but the heinies do shoot poa on my gun.

I use a blade tech holster I've had for forever. I switch between blade tech mag pouches, hoffners, and a galco leather double. Right now I like the galco best as it sticks off me a bit more. It's pretty personal.

Good luck and enjoy.

Ted