Question for the videophiles

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Halo, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Halo

Halo Millennium Member

I want to copy from laser disc onto my PC, and then author a DVD from the captured video. That much is simple. What I also want, however, is to try and eliminate some of the NTSC artefacts in the source video (crosshatching, bleeding). After reading a bit, it sounds like a line doubler is what I want.

Any suggestions on this? The line doublers I've looked at so far have component and/or VGA output. I'd need some way of capturing this (my current capture device only takes composite or S-video inputs).

2. Deathwind

Deathwind

Anything that can capture the line-doubled component output would be highly expensive (by that, I mean $2k+), and not worth it. Just use S-Video for the capture, as that's about as good as it will get. Additionally, line-doublers don't necessarily eliminate artifacts that are in the source, they eliminate interlacing artifacts on progressive displays (unless you get into higher end deinterlacers, like Faroudja chips, which are actually filtering as well as deinterlacing).

3. Halo

Halo Millennium Member

I sort of figured that would be the case. I guess S-video will just have to do, though I was sort of disappointed with the amount of "noise." It's still far better than tape, though.