close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

question for the sausage makers

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by groundhawg, Apr 4, 2006.

1. groundhawg

groundhawg

ive been making sausages the last couple days and have been fighting my sausage stuffer. i have the kind that looks like a kidney bean shaped water pump. a large amount of the sausage will push past the plunger and not go into the casing. i then have to clean the meat off the plunger and put it back into the stuffer. major pita. what stuffers do you use or is there an easier way to use the one i have thanks in advance.

2. noway

noway

what's the condition of you meat? semi-soft/soft/hardpack?

You might need to freeze your stuff to get it more firmer and/or add water. You have to play around with it.

Also what size nozzle and casing are you using? I have about 7 different nozzle between my dedicated sausage pusher and grinder. My plunger allows some meats mixture past it but it's not to bad. I add a few sprinkles of water when my meats are in the mixing bowl or mixer. It helps alot ;)

3. tavo

tavo

4. groundhawg

groundhawg

thanks for the replies, my first attempt was with a poultry sausage and it was pretty soft [twice ground] but i was using sheep casings 13-14mm stuffing tube. when i did my second batch of venison/beef i used hog casings 21-22mm and did indeed add water to make it softer and it did help. this might be a good time to add different flavors to the sausage via flavored broths instead of plain water...hmmmm
    im considering buying/building another type stuffer or attaching a semi-rigid plastic scraper/squeege to the face of the plunger to lessen the amount of sausage that squeezes past it.
    has anyone tried the vertical stuffers that resemble an apple cider press?

5. noway

noway

casing under 30mm are all a *****. :frown:

The vertical press are great but out of my budget. You can check out LEM products they have a few nice affordable press and sausages stuff. Also check with any local italian delis that rolls their own fresh pork sausages, they have leads on used and new items plus can tell you where to get good seasoning and mixes. The last one I whent to gave me about 4lbs of lamb intesting casings which I would guess is similar to the sheep you have. I have to check the size but I know it's around 2Xmm or maybe less.

6. groundhawg

groundhawg

Noway, the sheep casings are much more delicate than the hog casings and are much much tougher to stuff. i think this is probably more size related. have you tried them yet? i just have to figure out an easier way to stuff them because as it is right now, i can eat them faster than i can make them.
    i fried up some of the poultry sausage in sheep casing today and they quite tender and good. :)