Question for the retired guys/ladies here.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by byf43, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Reminds me of the movie About Schmidt where Jack Nicholson goes into work after retirement to possibly give advice and sees all his files, his life's work dumped outside.

It was listed as a comedy but was a bummer of a movie about retirement too.

2. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Yup, they're telling me to leave. As I stated earlier in the thread, the parent company has closed every print shop in the companies they've 'gobbled up'.

The severance package isn't as good as my company has previously offered, but, it's still darned good! (Until 01/01/19, they gave 2 weeks pay for every year of service, plus a 'signing bonus'. The package is still good, but, not 'that' good!)
    Besides the severance, I'm getting a lump sum for my vacation I earned for this year (6 weeks) and for what I've earned for next year (6 weeks).
    Any sick leave that I have in my 'bank', they're paying out 1:1.
    Plus, I get my full retirement which is a decent percentage of my yearly salary.
    (80% of nothing is still nothing, as some have said.) :)

I'm loyal because it's what I've done for 45+ years.
    My actual loyalty is NOT to 'the corporation', but, to the men and women, there.
    I've become good friends with a LOT of people there.
    I've been on a first-name basis with a LOT of the execs, and have become friends with several of them. (I'm REALLY gonna miss my VP that was just transferred to "Special Projects", which is another way to say, "You're leaving soon, too." He's got 2 years, then retiring.)

Before I can do anything........... my wife has placed the latest copy of, "The Honey-Do List" at my place, at the kitchen table. :)

Until I started this thread, I've only discussed this with a few people, close to me.

A good friend told one of his bowling buddies about me retiring.
    Found out this guy is a printer, and bought a house not-too-far from me.
    In the basement of this house, is a complete print shop. (Bought the house and the business!)

My friend talked to him about my skill-set, and he did offer me a part-time job, running some of the old Letterpress equipment that he doesn't know how to run.
    (Heidelberg "Windmill" press, numbering/perforation/die-cutting/etc.)

Don't know if I'm going to "jump" right back into it.

I do know that I'm looking forward to NOT getting up at 0400 and driving into Washington, DC 5 days/week!!!!

GVIFlyer likes this.

3. railfancwb

railfancwb

After I retired I answered questions from my successor when asked. The questions were never extensive or intensive. More about obscure points. The questions had largely ended by the first anniversary of my retirement. I had been the chief financial officer, so the questions essentially related to the twelve month accounting/tax cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

byf43 likes this.
  4. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Wife and I both retired from the same company on the same day after 26 years each. I'm getting ready to turn 60 and she's getting ready to turn 56. The company has gone to a new major shareholder who is a known corporate raider. We took our lump sum retirement payouts with our 401k's and left May 1,2019. Company has taken several benefits of retirement already and we weren't going to stay around and lose our lump sum retirement money because the rumors were that it's next. It sucks having to pay your own insurance, but we're glad we left. Insurance was another benefit the company took away earlier for retiree's. It's great to be able to do what you want when you want. Life's too short to be miserable working where you aren't appreciated. After we left several others have left also before they lose their lump sum retirement payouts. Wife was a lead and she couldn't get some individuals to work. Supervision said they were told to leave some workers alone because of their ethnicity due to lawsuit fears. So some people got to sit literally for days on end, straight time and overtime and not hit a lick literally. That was another reason for our retirement, my wife was fed up with the double standards of making people work. My advice is retire and just don't sit. Plenty of stuff to do and see out there.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    byf43 likes this.
  5. cornbread66

cornbread66

In 12 days I will be retired for one year. 19 months prior to "the day" I often wondered what I would do. As the day grew closer, that concern dropped to zero. July 31, 2018 was a Tuesday. By Friday, I do not think I could have found my way to my old office without a guide. I spent 24 years in federal law enforcement. Best job in the government, in my opinion. New chapter. No contact with co-workers in any way. No concern over "old cases not solved", not one fu#k given. Retire NOW. Everyday is a gift (it always was!), but no calls at 0300 from crack whores, no "Hurry up and head to Gallup" calls after the grill just got going. 45 years? Stick a fork in it bro, you're done!!!

byf43 likes this.
  6. donp

donp

In my earlier post I mentioned that you never know when you time is up.
    I have first hand experience, we were cleaning up after a competition shoot, targets stands etc. while doing this chore and with no warning I went down. Woke up the next day in the hospital with no clue why I was there.
    I happened to have an EMT with me when I went down. I was blue and no pulse. They worked on me for 30 min before ambulance arrived. I was really lucky and there is nothing wrong with me although I got a pacemaker defibrillator before being released. Like I said you never know when your time is up. Enjoy life while you have it

byf43 and quasii like this.
  7. Guss

Guss

Looks like the handwriting (or print) is on the wall. Once a company starts pushing people out, it's not going to get better. Those left behind have to work harder to to the work of those who have departed.

Unfortunately for me, I always seemed to be a year or two too young for the early-out offers at my company. I ended up leaving early anyway just to avoid a heart attack from the extra hours. No regrets.

byf43 likes this.
  8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

If the incentives are there and you can meet your financial needs, take the parachute and jump!

Not for one minute! I retired 15 years ago and haven't thought once about going back to work. I had a good career, banked a little money and now I'm retired.
    Already done!

byf43 likes this.
  9. Travelinman

Travelinman Banned

A fine post. You are so correct. Time is our most precious commodity.

Retire as soon as you comfortably can and enjoy the world. It is a big, wide wonderful place!

tracicali and byf43 like this.
  10. Dragline

Dragline

The best thing about becoming an old guy is you can now have a total I Don’t GAF attitude.

gamboolman and byf43 like this.
  11. fg17

fg17

I’ve worked in the printing industry for 30+ years, mostly in the bindery (finishing) end for a medium size commercial printing company, actually a marketing/technology/printing company. I’ve been a working lead and basically manage the whole plant at night, we are a 24/7 operation with several plants.

I work hard, am good at what I do and take my job very seriously. Don’t know if I would have made it this long if I didn’t get into the lead position and off certain certain equipment and on to another about 13 years ago, so I’m grateful for that. But to be honest it stopped being interesting a LONG time ago. I admire your passion to the job, but to be honest when I retire I don’t mind if I never see another cutter, folder, stitcher, perfect binder, web, sheetfed, or digital press again. Good luck in whatever you decide.

byf43 likes this.
  12. norton

norton

I was just talking to a friend/former work mate about his retirement today.
    I worked for a P&C insurance company for 40 years when I retired.
    After watching many people retire from my company I learned one universal truth.
    No matter how good you are or think you are at your job, no matter how indispensable you believe you are.
    You can and will be replaced almost immediately.
    This goes for every one from the janitor to the President of the company.
    In a couple of months people will begin to forget about you.
    In a year there will be people hired who don't even know who you are.
    Let it go. Once you retire you are part of the past.
    Enjoy your retirement.

tracicali, Travelinman and byf43 like this.
  13. selogic

selogic

I've been retired two years this month . 40 years in the electric utility business . I still miss the job at times , but not the *******s that made my decision to retire much easier . Find something to keep you busy but not TOO busy . You'll be just fine . The company won't miss a beat either .

byf43 likes this.
  14. pugman

pugman

Repeated for truth...if I could leave tomorrow I would probably be "busier" than working my 70 hours a week.

Get a hobby...go neck deep. This is my dad's big problem...by the time he raised four kids, worked in a hot machine shop leaving covered in oil and dirt every day he didn't have the passion for cars like he did as a young man (and he had some seriously sweet rides).

I recently won a bet. When I said in passing I could "name a hundred things I would rather do than work" a friend at our 4th of July party said I couldn't.

Easiest $50 I ever made besides what my pimp lets me keep.

byf43 likes this.
  15. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Thanks for the comments, everyone.
    I've read every one of them, and do appreciate ALL of the comments.

Please. Keep 'em comin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Travelinman and cyberghostx13 like this.
  16. bill123

bill123

I knew how to work, but did not not how to leisure. First couple years were easy. Plenty of projects and a trip or two.
    I took an early buyout before I was really ready. The work atmosphere had been in decline for years and I decided I would not die there. It jusy keeps getting worse as reported by those still there. I decided I worked entirely too hard and cared too much during the time was there. No one cares about what you did and how you did it except those that directly interfaced with you. All the work numbers are faked now and the management thinks they are doing better than ever. Customers hate them with a passion, but the wheel still spins.
    Get out when and if you can
    Your worklife is like a novel. After you leave the workplace quickly devolves into the movie version. A year later it is akin to a remake of the movie and two years later it will be unrecognizeable. If you don't leave now, you will live through the movie version and see everything you worked to accomplish be diminished or rejected. Then, you will be tossed out.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    byf43, cyberghostx13 and tracicali like this.
  17. bohica793

bohica793

Who is John Galt?

18. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I worked in wholesale fine paper distribution, 23 years with the same company. In 2005 I was offered an early retirement package that I couldn’t pass up. I took it and never looked back. At the time I wasn’t old enough or financially ready to actually retire so I did contract work for about seven years before I officially retired.

byf43 likes this.
  19. bobnfl

bobnfl

Retired in april 07 at the age of 54 and never looked back. I stay busy fishing, shooting, doing yard work and traveling. The wife and I have to write everything down on the calender so we can keep track of it. Go enjoy your life, no one is too important at work that they can't do with out you.

byf43 likes this.
  20. Barry581

Barry581

I retired in December 2017. I did a 22 year career in the USAF, then worked in sales/management in powersports for about 11 years. I was starting to show some serious burn out, left the daily sales grind and took a job as a chef in a new local restaurant. Worked there for almost 7 years, gradually cutting my hours back to the point I was only doing about 15 per week. Between my military pension and VA disability, plus my wife still works, we live pretty comfortably.

I stay pretty busy with different hobbies, number one is field training with my Labrador Retriever, Brooks. Shooting, yard work, working around the house all fills my time. At times I find myself busier than I ever thought I would.

Life is pretty short, and I'm just happy I'm in a position to do what I want to be doing at this point in life.

byf43 likes this.