Question for the retired guys/ladies here.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by byf43, Jul 19, 2019.

1. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Thanks.

Your last sentence 'hit home'.

There was a guy that retired from my company several years ago, after working for 42 years.

The day he retired, he gathered his jacket and walked out the front door, turned left, heading towards the subway station......... took four steps, and dropped dead.
    (That is NO lie!)

I've thought about your sentence, since that day.

Also had a neighbor that was a police officer for 30 years.
    He retired on a Friday, at the end of his shift.

The following Sunday morning, he walked out his front door with a cup of coffee, sat down, took a sip of coffee, and fell over dead.
    I knew that man for 12 years.

There ain't no guarantees.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. scattershot

scattershot

After 45 years, you have earned the right to walk away. The archives are the company’s problem, not yours. I was a firefighter for 29 years, nothing was burning when I left, and I was adjusted to my new life by the time I hit the first stoplight on the way home.

Take the package, and don’t let the door hit you on the way out. It will seem strange at first, but your worries are over when you walk out of the shop for the last time.

Good luck, and a long and happy retirement to you.

3. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Retirement is a great time to change phone numbers and e-mail addresses and move away.

4. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Thank you.
    GREAT advise.

Ha!!!! Great advise. Nobody at work knows my personal e-mail address. (Don't tell them!)
    The phone number??????? Can't change that. Too easy to remember!!!! (And would have to tell the kids/grandkids the new number.)

:)

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  5. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 26 Gen 4

I've been retired since 2008, I was forced out as I couldn't do the bidding of the POS that was over me BTW She was a thief & was let go not long after me.. I got all benefits etc., She got nothing except a free jail cell.
    The only downside is not having a place to be & a time to be there, I was always early to work & was there..
    Not having a lot o extra money = Gun Money, has been a chore but the house & cars are paid off & we are making it..
    BTW I am currently 53 & haven't worked since I was 44..
    Maybe I have my stuff together.. Maybe Not??

Bad part is I am currently putting a timing belt & water pump in my Wife's 2003 FDE VW Beetle & doing this type of work out in the 100 degree heat is killing me, Taking a break now..
    NO SHADE.. The $1000+ I'm saving will come in handy later this month.. I guy's gotta eat..

cyberghostx13 and byf43 like this.
  6. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

Do you suppose your employer is losing sleep fretting over your departure? Maybe they have a list of things they need to do for you before you leave? Or perhaps they are deeply concerned about how you will move forward without them in your life?

Didn't think so.

jimcorbin, cyberghostx13 and byf43 like this.
  7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Modern phones are smart enough to remember phone numbers better than I ever could! :fred:

8. Rellik

Rellik Kwisatz Haderach in Training

Go retire - stay home - get bored - now go volunteer!
    Meals on Wheels needs drivers. I'm a site coordinator for the Monday deliveries locally.
    Hospitals usually have a volunteer program.
    Libraries used to have a teach and adult to read program.
    What stuff does your church do for other people that can't be done during the day because people are working. You're now available to do things for shut ins that didn't get done before.
    For years it was about providing for your family.
    Thinking about retirement is thinking me me me.
    Volunteering is about helping people. some will be grateful. Some will not. God will smile on your efforts if done with the right heart.

Go forth and start your new life!

Jake514 and byf43 like this.
  9. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs

[​IMG]

10. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member Millennium Member

11. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I can’t offer much about the philosophical questions you face.

I can speak about my experiences being retired. The first thing that I have to say is I can’t figure out where I had the time to have a job, as I am booked solid each day.

When I retired, I made that decision as I realized money had taken a back seat to time as being my most valuable currency. I was at a point that I knew I could make it as a retiree (financially speaking) and knew if I didn’t start spending my time differently, I would regret it.

It worked out well for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide, just don’t forget, tempus fugit.

12. Maxw

Maxw

I retired 4 years ago. I cast and shoot 3-4 times a week. On weekends my wife and I travel all around the Mid Atlantic looking at all of the history that surrounds us or spend time with grand kids. I am busier now than when I was employed and have not thought of the company since retirement. They were good to me and I worked hard for them but I have gone my own way. Leave and enjoy life.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  13. Rellik

Rellik Kwisatz Haderach in Training

I'm late to the party with this, but no man on his death-bed ever said: Damn, I shoulda spent more time at work.

14. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I don't really believe in a big, dramatic break or the traditional concept of retirement - at least not for me.

I went right into a pretty intense college program straight out of high school and right into a pretty intense work situation straight out of college. I did travel a bunch overseas during college, but that was all on the clock, as it were.

A few years into post-college work (I also worked summers as an intern during college), I started to realize this might not be the best path, so I quit working to pursue outdoor sports full-time. I went back to work in my early thirties, then cut back to about half time in my forties.

I'll probably continue to work in some form into my sixties, but it will always be balanced with non-vocational stuff.

My perspective is that life is measured in time, not money. My life is primarily about what I do and how I relate to other people, not what I buy. A certain amount of security is necessary, but there's no amount of security that can ward off all possible evils.

From a developmental standpoint, a unit of time in your twenties or thirties is worth a lot more than the same unit in your fifties or sixties. It just doesn't make sense to me to sacrifice youth to finance "retirement". But I don't look at my non-vocational stuff as "hobbies". It's all just things I do, alone and with others. And I want to arrange my resources to best facilitate that.

PennsWoods and byf43 like this.
  15. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Absolutely, man. Unless you truly are a live-to-work person, and your vocation really is your main passion. Then go for it.

But IMO, way too many people sacrifice way too much for way too little, on the vocational side.

byf43 likes this.
  16. wapiti22

wapiti22

Take the money and go. They won't offer again and next time, they will just show you the door . It's time to enjoy life and make the most of it!!!!

17. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

If you want to feel good about leaving, share all the job knowledge you can with the person who will succeed you.

byf43 and Rellik like this.
  18. glock_collector

glock_collector

Retired at 51, one chapter closes and a new one begins...I found it easier than everyone around me, to let some of the old duties go.

19. mfm9

mfm9 What?

Then his wife collected on the million dollar insurance policy, threw out the coffee maker, and ran off with the pool boy :)

Seriously, though, OP, it sounds like you worked hard, worked smart, and gave good value for the pay you received. You can retire proud of what you've done. There are fewer and fewer people every day who will accomplish what you have.

If you want to have a legacy that nobody can take away, volunteer to teach skills to some kids. You will change their lives forever, and make the world a little better place.

-Mike

jimcorbin, byf43 and Rellik like this.
  20. DAKA

DAKA

Retired from Architecture in 1989 (that's 30 THIRTY YEARS AGO), bought a townhouse on the intracoastal in Fort Lauderdale....I was divorced at the time..adopted a German Shepherd that had gotten lost during hurricane Andrew and stopped trying to meet "someone".
    Sure enough the "right" woman came along by pure chance and we have been together for almost 25 years...I have a workshop/studio 15 minutes away where I paint and do woodwork a few hours some days....
    Do I miss WORK....not a bit...I do miss the camaraderie of "some" of the guys I worked with for 30 years...
    Mrs.Daka and I have traveled ... in Europe a LOT, and been on many CRUISES...
    So, just ......forge ahead....and don't worry about it...enjoy every day... :highfive: