close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question for the po-lice here.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Feb 17, 2010.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I take a main city road every day where the flow of traffic exceeds the speed limit. It's 30 mph (I did the conversion), and traffic goes 45 mph. Go below this and people will gun it and pass you, sometimes quite narrowly.
    Once every twenty days or so I drive by a speed gun and I see a wave of brake lights as everybody slows back down and continues on a lot slower for about a block or two, then continue on.

If you're a cop would you be more concerned with
    A. All cars to obey posted limits
    or
    B. The flow of traffic to move smoothly and safely, even if they're exceeding the limit.

Assuming that road conditions and visibility is ideal, and people aren't screaming by a triple digit speeds.

2. JBaird22

JBaird22

There is a statistic out there that indicates for every 10 mpg above the speed limit you travel, you are x times more likely to be injured in a collision. Roadway engineers set speed limits on roads and highways based on the limitations of the road surface, the potential for cross traffic and other factors that most lay people don't realize exist. The speed limit is there to reduce the likelihood of vehicle collisions.

My concern would be to get traffic moving safely below the speed limit. Its called a limit for a reason.

3. #1glocker19

#1glocker19 venivedivici

So by getting nearly 50 mpg, you are as good as dead.:faint:

4. gleasonb

gleasonb

Devils advocate here...

What about the Autobon? (SP?)

5. DWentz744

DWentz744 Technoviking

6. GroovyChristian

GroovyChristian

Speed limits, stop signs, and prohibition from talking on cell phones while driving all have one thing in common: They are all rules that I wish I could be exempt from while everyone else had to follow.

I know I'm selfish...

7. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Okay.... so we have a thread by the OP asking about a situation in Canada, we have people in the US replying to it.....and now we're over in Germany. :uglylol:

8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

C. I'm concerned about folks who attempt to use the actions of others to justify or excuse their own unlawful actions.

9. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I'm not a mountie, but as an ex American cop, I rather you do the limit, or at least make an attempt to get close to it.

What kills me is when people think they have every right to do 55mph on a residential road marked at 35mph. Its not about the flow of traffic or that you can handle driving at that speed, its the fact that you have higher pedestrian traffic, kids playing nearby, and cars pulling out of driveways.

Speed limits are not about the flow of traffic, its about the condition of that area. There is a section of interstate in Philadelphia that is mark 50MPH (I-76 locals will know what I'm talking about), Why is an interstate highway below the speed limit, because its an old, tight, curvy, highly congested, poorly laid out, piece of highway. Can you do 70mph on that road?? On a good day, Yes. Does the flow of traffic usually go above the speed limit??? Yes. Are their multiple accident on that stretch or highway every day that cause, injuries, death, and massive jam-ups?? Yes, because no one follows the speed limit. If everyone just slowed the heck down, there would be fewer accidents.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  10. StevieJ

StevieJ

Whether this is wrong (it's probably wrong) or not, I do remember being taught in driver's ed. that it's safer to go with the flow of traffic. Reason behind it was that one driver going the speed limit could inadvertently cause an accident by making others have to adjust.

11. ray9898

ray9898

I will play. Unlike what most people think...only 25% of the Autobahn has no speed limit, only a recommended limit. It is limited to the areas with no traffic congestion and no entry/exit points to impact the flow of traffic. The roadway is simply designed to be safer for travel at higher speeds

The areas with congestion and entry/exit points have set speed limits normally falling between 100 - 120 km/h (roughly 60 - 75 mph) and many other areas have a variable speed limit which is set by traffic engineers viewing traffic and weather conditions from a control center.

12. bayshtyshorty

bayshtyshorty

+10!!! Thanks for being honest! it just the american way man dont feel bad :cheers:

13. ray9898

ray9898

People never understand that. They think the speed limit is just a magical number pulled out of a hat. They do not realize controlling the speed is necessary to increase the reaction time for cross traffic, pedestrians and others in entering the roadway. Also, decreasing the speed of the thru traffic increases their reaction time to also avoid potential accidents.

14. DWentz744

DWentz744 Technoviking

That's not entirely accurate... In the state I live in... I know for a FACT that many speed limits (especially municipal) ARE pulled out of someone's donkey. There is NO formula, standard, or anything else... it's generally left up to some local politician to come up with it and then the local board votes on it without ANY research... sometime's it's just posted without even that!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  15. jmsfmtex

jmsfmtex

Contrary to popular belief the Autobahn has a speed limit. It is not always enforced but if you get into an accident, and you were exceeding the speed limit, it goes against you.

16. noway

noway

ill play also, since every buy mention Autobahn and never drove on it.

It has wider lanes
    smarter entrance ramps that are long so yo can safely get up to speed to meer
    it has longer exit ramps to do the exact opposite
    it's not as heavily crowds as I55 in Miami
    drivers are more respectful of others and their surrounding
    driving is truely a privillege that one does not disobey

17. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

Sounds like another GM conspiracy against Toyota, now targeted at the Prius.

18. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Most modern law enforcement agencies use Selective Traffic Enforcement rather that random enforcement.

Any cop knows where the fishing holes are where he can get a bunch of tickets in a short time. The problem with this is that except for bringing in revenue and keeping the sergeant off his back, there is very little accomplished by these strategies.

Selective traffic enforcement allocates resources based on the number of crashes or the number of complaints in a particular area. When enforcement is increased in a high crash zone, crash rates invariably drop significantly. Although enforcement in high complaint areas doesn't usually effect crashes, it does satisfy the people who pay our salaries. One thing to remember is that in most agencies, complaints about traffic violations far outweigh any other complaint.

Officers should be directed to do enforcement is specific areas rather that where ever they feel like doing it. Supervisors need to look at where citations are written rather than how many. Overcoming laziness is one of the supervisor's biggest jobs; both his and his troops.

The area you describe is obviously under posted and I would guess that crash rates are low. Therefore enforcement should be directed to other areas.

19. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

I drove on it for 5 years and I just want to add: German drivers are better than American drivers.

That's all there is to it. What works over there would never work here.

20. BlueMalibu

BlueMalibu What Limit?

The question is did road engineers study the road and set the limit to 85th percentile as specified in Federal Manual on Traffic Control Devices. Or did somebody else "know better?"

Michigan did a study and good write up on the proper setting of speed limits. They don't usually follow it, but it is good info. It shows that under posting speed limits is MORE dangerous and driving slightly faster than traffic is statistically safest.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Establishing_Realistic_Speedlimits_85625_7.pdf

Unfortunately, the number on the speed limit sign does not necessarily equal the safest speed. Face it, if we really wanted max safety all speed limits would be 25 MPH and cars would be governed to never exceed it. We would also mandate full roll cages, six point harnesses and helmets for all vehicle occupants.

The low speeds would dramatically reduce accidents and injuries - however they would also dramatically increase travel times, costs, and congestion.

We all must realize we need a reasonable compromise between speed and safety. Road engineers have been dealing with this problem for over 70 years. Currently, the method they use to set speed limits is the 85th percentile speed. The 85th percentile speed is the speed at or below which 85 percent of the motorists drive on a given road unaffected by slower traffic or poor weather. This speed indicates the speed that most motorists on the road consider safe and reasonable under ideal conditions. It is a good guideline for the appropriate speed limit for that road. Using the 85th percentile has a long history and is documented in the Federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.

Now, everyone else seems to think THEY know the best safe speed. Politicians, LEOs, Civilians, and countless others think they know which is best. But road engineers are the only ones who have science and studies to back them up.

The unfortunate reality is that in most cases politicians are setting the limits. This causes people who are driving a reasonable speed to be in violation of the limit. Some people (very few) will drive the limit anyway while others will exceed the limits. This causes larger speed differentials. It also causes people to lose faith in speed limits. The days of the double nickle taught many a driver to ignore limits. It taught me that politicians are not doing what is best for us. Speed Limits are a law that people see and disobey everyday. Wouldn't it be better to set limits based on science that people can respect and obey?

Setting fair limits will also allow LEOs to target drivers that are truly driving a dangerous speed instead of those driving a reasonable safe speed that happens to be above an arbitrary limit.