Question for the Mods about PMing a long list of people

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by AggiePhil, Jun 17, 2005.

1. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mods,

I'm trying to PM all members of the Lone Star Glockers. Is there a quick and easy way to do it, rather than individually doing each one?

Perhaps you can enter multiple recipient names into one PM Address field, or maybe there's some other way to do it? Thanks so much.

Phil
    Lone Star Glockers List Keeper

2. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

If you add all of the members to your buddy list, then you can PM up to 5 of them at a time by clicking here

3. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

AggiePhil, I have to ask why you are trying to contact every member of the Lone Star Glockers forum. The PM system is not designed or intended to be a mass-contact system and there aren't many instances I can think of where I would approve of it being used that way, by a member on the site. Perhaps a stickied message in that forum would be a better way to get your message out, if it is something that is appropriate for publishing on the site. Eric

4. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hey Eric. Sorry, I didn't mean to make a commotion....I'm just trying to get the word out to as many people as possible about the upcoming Texas GT Shoot we're planning. I've PMed a couple moderators about having the thread stickied, but I guess they haven't gotten around to it yet. More than anything though, I know that a lot of people wind up drifting away from GT for whatever reason, and don't check the board too often, especially the Lone Star Glockers area itself (I know there are lots of Texas here who probably rarely make it to that particular area). So being the good event planner that I am, I thought I'd take the time to individually PM each Texas GTer I could find and let them know about the event. Maybe even bring some people who have drifted away back into the GT community.

So my intentions were good (I think). But I didn't realize that'd put an undue strain on the PM system, so I'm sorry about that. I'll quit PMing people and just hope that everybody gets over to the Lone Star area to read about it. Again, I'm sorry Eric! :) ^c

The thread:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=396295

5. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Hello. There is nothing to be sorry about. I just wanted to know why you wanted to use the PM function in that manner. If it were possible for people to send mass PM's, I would undoubtedly end up having to deal with spammers abusing the function. This obviously does not apply to what you are trying to do, but I hope you can understand my concern.

I stickied the thread for you. Therereally isn't any way to do a mass PM, especially to just the regulars of a given forum. The system just isn't set up that way. The message is stickied though and you have more than a month for people to see it. I hope that helps. Word-of-mouth is a powerful tool. Why don't you post to that thread and ask everyone that is interested in the get-together to pass the word on to others? Eric

6. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks so much Eric! And you're right...we have plenty of time on this one. I'll definitely encourage people to spread this around by word of mouth (err...keyboard ;))! I might also start a single thread in GNG about it and give it a bump once a week or so, since so many people seem to hang in that area alone. ^c Thank you!!!