close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question for the GT parents

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by saluki9, Feb 8, 2010.

1. saluki9

saluki9

Last week my wife and I were blessed with a healthy baby girl.

My wife has a medical condition which requires her to get a decent amount of sleep every night in order to stay healthy. Guess who gets to stay up with the little one? I also have to run a business at the same time.

After one week of this I have to ask... How do you not go insane? I feel like I'm at the end of hell week and they just told me it's going on for another 7 weeks :faint:

2. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

I've got no advice to give -- but I'll take a sec and say CONGRATS!

3. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

Give it a few weeks. It gets better. A year from now you will forget all about it.

4. BigDaddyK

BigDaddyK

Nap whenever you can. My wife and I pretty much rotated. She'd be awake while I slept vice versa.

I'd say give it a few more months to a year and it gets better. God that was the worst part. My boy is 18mos now and he's been sleeping through the night for awhile now. THANK GOD. Good luck and congrats!

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

With running a business is your schedule flexible? If so catch a nap whenever you can. If not when you get home go to bed and let your wife deal with it until she needs to go to bed then it is your turn.

If it gets to bad and you are not able to function productively take a day off from work and get some rest so you can get back to being productive. To many times success is measured in effort vs productivity /results and long term sleep deprivation is dangerous. If you loose the ability to function and your baby needs you that can be bad.

I knew a couple that hand twins and where so exhausted they passed out while bottles where being boiled / sterilized. They came close to burning down their apartment.

6. area727

area727 G23

Congrats on the baby.

I have no solid advice as my wife tended to our new borns during the night, as I was the only one working.

However, when it comes to your kids, you will fight through it. Where theres a will, theres a way.

7. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Learn to ignore crying.

Your daughter isn't necessarily crying because there's something wrong with her, it's just how she expresses herself at this age. If she's fed, burped, has a clean diaper, and is warm/comfy, then she just wants some attention. It's really not that big a deal.

That being said, I'm the father of four kids. Ages currently are 10.5, 6, 4, and 2.5. Been there, done that. Fortunately for me, my wife's agency had a decent sick leave program, and she was able to take care of things overnights for the most part.

So, the moral of the story is - make sure she's fed, clothed, warm, etc. After that's done, if she's still crying...ignore it. It's not THAT hard. :cool:

8. deadday

deadday

Wow....we were spoiled....Ry-guy slept through night almost from the start....he'd wake up around 4a for a bottle, then be lights out again until 8 for the first 6 weeks or so...then after that, he went down at 8p and was up at 6a....

9. clint_white

clint_white

congrats - yeah its tuff but when thebaby sleeps try too also.....been there done that....thats gonna be the hard part...and really isnt a more sound advice

10. wprebeck

Yep, that IS some spoilage. Any other kids, or is that your only one?

I highly recommend multiple children. For no other reason than to know there's someone else out there suffering as much as I am. Do you folks with 1-2 kids know how much siblings REALLY fight? I swear, I need to wear a black & white striped uniform while at home....

It's sad when you go to work to get some peace & quiet - and "work" is a large county jail.

11. skorper

skorper harborrat

That's why we have them when we're young. It takes a lot of physical stamina to make it through it.

12. deadday

deadday

He's actually the grand child...looooooooooong story there....but none of my own...

We've been looking into adoption, but there with the current policies of most adoption agencies, I an not a good candidate...:steamed:

13. RichJ

RichJ

Short answer- get used to it! Every parent has to go through the same thing. It is indeed hell. I am still going through this with getting a two year old and eight month old to sleep at the same time. My wife and I have damn near gone to the mat over who's turn it is to deal with 3 am crying babys.

The good news is your first year will go by so fast that it will hardly seem like a year when you celebrate your childs birthday. Your child will be walking and you will have an empty feeling not having your little baby to craddle any more.

Crying babys is Gods way of making sure we get to hold our babys as much as possible when they are infants so we don't regret not having that time when they get older. I'd give anything if I could get my two year old to sit still long enough so I could hold him for a full ten minutes at a time. It may seem like hell right now, but you will look back and wish you could do it all over again, trust me on that.

14. wprebeck

And isn't that just stupid?

My wife's good friend and her husband recently had to drop their chances at having a child. They couldn't have any of their own, so they tried to adopt. Couldn't do it domestically, so they went to Russia. Went twice, were on the cusp of bringing two children home, and the birth mother decided to throw a wrench into the process.

They've spent so much time and money, they literally can't afford to do it again. And they, like many childless couples, would've been great parents. The nonsense that adoption agencies make people go through, while crackheads have 9-10 kids, and it takes an act of God to get those kids removed.

When I'm "Benevolent Dictator for Life" (TM, All Rights Reserved), that'll change. Do dope? No kids. Having kids for the welfare money? Oh wait....I'll stop welfare within seconds of becoming BDFL.

Adoption for good parents? Easy as can be. Remember the kids from the druggies? Well, they gotta go somewhere, and I can't think of anyplace better than a loving home.

So, who's up for putting me in charge?

15. FPS

FPS

Actually, you do go insane. The good news is that you get used to it. You will get better at getting the baby to go back to sleep. You will premake bottles and keep them at the ready. You will tire the baby out as much as possible durning the day and not let it sleep too much in the evening so it doesn't wake up when you finally fall asleep.

The funny part is that this is the easy part of beign a parent! Just wait until the kid can open drawers and cabinets.

The baby is just breaking you in. Have fun.

16. wprebeck

And doors. And anything else. I put up a set of new blinds in the girls' room yesterday. Left three essential parts laying on the coffee table, with the demon two year old running around. Haven't found the parts yet, and had to rig the blinds to stay put.

:upeyes:

He does crap like that all the time. He's also been the worst with putting stuff in his mouth. Everything goes in there, including way too much food at one time. He'll shove half a banana in there with two bites; I've made sure to review how to deal with choking infants/toddlers. :shocked:

17. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

My kids are grown and gone. I have actually reached the age I have fond memories of their early days.
    A couple of things that really helped us. First, those crank-up swing chairs. They have their own sturdy stand. The swing has restraints so the kids don't come out. Wind that thing up, put the kid in there and they go catatonic while it gently swings back and forth. That thing was a God send.
    Secondly, and I know they tell you not to do this, but it's the only way that we ever got any sleep. We put the child in bed with us. It pretty much stopped all the crying. We were clever enough to not roll on the child or otherwise damage them. They slept with us well past their first birthdays. After that they were good on their own.

18. steve1988

steve1988

You guys are horrifying me. I'm going to call my girlfriend and make sure she has taken her pills now...

19. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

These are the times that try mens souls....:supergrin:

I congratulate you on you're blessings.
    Hang in there. You will treasure these memories.
    Look into her little face. You will see yourself.

Vitamine D helps with the energy.

EDIT:
    Sometimes the only sleep I got was holding mine while feeding them in the lounge chair and falling asleep with them.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  20. RioKid

RioKid

You're getting a lot of good advice. Man up and handle it, you will be okay and proud of yourself later. As a business man you should understand the cost of doing business.:rofl:

BTW congratulations on baby girl. :supergrin: