Question for the GT brain trust...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock20 10mm, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Okay so here is the problem:

I live in a 4 unit townhouse, I am upstairs and downstairs is a lady with two yappy dogs. Personally I would rather just shoot the little bastages but that's not an option. The problem is as soon as these dogs get outside they start barking... and don't stop! :wow:

I have already gone to the lady several times about it and that doesn't seem to work, my next step of course is to go to the property management and complain to them BUT I hate doing that as it creates other issues down the road. Since I am upstairs she can retaliate with noise complaints and so the issue will most likely spiral out of control.

SO, I came up with an idea before I go to the property management, if this idea isn't viable or doesn't work then I will just go file the complaint and deal with the fallout as it comes. Anyhow the idea is to get mountain lion urine and spray it around her back yard so as to scare the little yappers from even coming outside.

No dogs get hurt, she is none the wiser as to WHY her dogs won't go outside and we all get to enjoy the silence again. So what say you? Do you think the urine idea will work? And if not, do you have any other ideas?

My goal is to stop the problem without anyone being the wiser. But if it's not going to work then I will simply go file the complaint. As I wrote, I have already tried on several occasions to address the issue with the owner of the dogs and as you can tell by this post, that hasn't worked.

As always thanks for the input...

2. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Shucks.....I'll play.

I'm not proud.

I understand your problem, and your desire to try and handle it without going to the management and the possible problems that may trigger. But I honestly believe the right thing to do is go to the property management. It may cause you some problems in the near future, but if you are the one handling it all with a calm polite manner, you get much further than you think. I don't believe they would discount the fact that her complains started only after you made yours. If you remain the calm, trying everything to please person throughout the matter..................I do believe you'll come out ahead.

I believe the "trick" with management will to be the calmer, more willing to please participant throughout it all. They will certainly take their cue from your attitude.

Please understand, just my personal opinion.

Not trying to tell you what to do.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010

3. ScarFace88

ScarFace88 I swear I had something for this...

Just how do you plan to get mountain lion urine?

4. Tristan

Tristan Awwwww.........

I don't think that would stop the dogs from barking or make them afraid to go outside. :dunno:

5. pac201

pac201

first you have to get a friend to help you catch the cat, then you get the friend to hold...

well you get the general idea...

6. Altaris

Altaris

I agree. The calmer/politer person usually wins in cases like that if you have decent management. It also helps if you have other neighbors that have issues with the barking as well. If management get lots of complaints about this person from multiple people, that person loses their credibility if they try to complain about you after the fact.

Just out of curiosity though, how would a domesticated dog even know what mountain lion pee smells like, and know they should be afraid of it? :dunno:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  7. Jon_R

Jon_R

8. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I am going on the basis of predator prey instinct. The logic is that generally prey animals (in this case the small dogs) smell a large predator their behavior is changes. The theory I have is if they smell the urine of a large predator cat outside the door their primal instinct will be to tuck tail and run the other way. That's the theory anyways and why I posted the question here...

As for how I will obtain the urine... I am leaving that up to my room mate. :whistling:

I have a feeling that the only solution will be to take it to the property management. And I know that by keeping rational and calm I'll come out on top. Just trying not to make undue waves. So if this theory / idea of mine doesn't seem like it will work then I will deal with the waves as they come. :dunno:

9. swat220

swat220

Try one of these first: http://www.allpetfurniture.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=KOO1101

Then if that doesn't work I would tell your neighbor one last time that the barking is very disturbing to you, you have asked her several times to control the barking and if it happens any more then you will go to management. I would at least give her one last chance.If she doesn't play along then she deserves to be dealt with by management since she is just plain disrespecting you.

10. bluenoise

bluenoise

I agree with Carrys. However, if you warn the woman before you complain to management, she might make a preemptive complaint against you. You've already given her a chance to be neighborly. Now is time to involve management.

If you still have problems, try one of those ultrasonic devices intended to cure problem barking.

11. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Get a recording device and record her dogs barking for an hour or so. They at 3am, play the sound over your stereo speakers at full blast. Maybe she'll get the hint. Next step, call Newman from Seinfeld. He takes care of such problems.

12. 1911master

1911master

When I had problems with my neighbors dogs digging under the fence and trying to nip my heals I just took some pepper spray around the fence and that took care of the problem.

13. community

community Member

:wow: :upeyes:

14. mdhandyman

mdhandyman

Fixed it for you!!! :wavey:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  15. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Stage one.................Trap Kitty.
    [​IMG]

Sounds like a great idea.

I dont think your theory will work, They will smell the pee and pee on the area them selves to mark it.

Do you have a bb gun? Airsoft maby?

BB's will hide in the grass better............:whistling:

16. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Get about 6 of those things and hang them out your window, conspicuously.
    Make sure to downfire the speakers at the floor.

17. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I have to chime in, that particular unit is battery operated and doesnt work well. I know as I bought it and took it back.

I would consider getting a water gun and spray the little rats if you can do it without being witnessed.

You might find the needed urine at Cabela's or any other retail outfitter.

Next- contact your local authorities, they might be able to help with a legal noise complaint.

Lastly- Consider moving?

18. badr1

badr1

19. Jon_R

Jon_R

I have not used the product (no need for it) just aware the technology exists and what I found from a search.
    If that particular product is not good maybe something else using sound that only effects dog is a better fit.

I just think it is good technology as it can be 24x7 and immediate. If you punish a dog anything other then immediate you are wasting your time. They can't usually piece the sequence together and figure out what they did. :)

20. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I hear ya bro. There should be some other units out there that are not battry powered.