Question for snowmobilers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by aspartz, Jan 3, 2010.

1. aspartz

aspartz

I realize that not everyone who enjoys the activity is an asshat, most likely only a small percentage is. However, why do, it seems to me, the vast majority of snowmobilers have no sense of private property? Why is it acceptable to ride across other people's yards (not the street easment, the yard)? Can I come to your house in the summer and ride a four wheeler across your lawn?

Some claim that it does no damage, but almost every spring there are dead spots and dug up sod where someone dug up the grass.

Also, I really do not need to hear your motors 15 feet from my window at all hours of the day. Once again, can I come to your house and run my weed whip or leaf blower on your lawn in the middle of the night?

ARS

2. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

As stated..the vast majority of snow sledders are nice folks and are respectful of others property, but as in everything else, it just takes a couple a##hats to ruin it for everyone.

Got so bad in Maine with the 4-wheelers, that I got rid of mine as the state cracked down and you'd need to tow a file cabinet around to be able to have 'wriiten permission' to show when the wardens stopped you.

My sled was the quietest in the world 1/2 the time. Never made a sound as I dragged it back off the lake when the thing died while I was ice fishing!:supergrin:

As far as the snow sleds go, I live on a lake, and in the winter they zip up and down the place once in a while for a little bit...but it don't bother me too much. The shore is real rocky and thus kind of a natural barricade if they had any desire to come up on my lawn (or the mossy mud patch I call my lawn :supergrin:)

If they're getting out of hand, post the land, call the wardens and video tape the sleds making sure to get the registration numbers.

Don't try doing anything like laying a 2x4 or a 10 foot peice of re-bar across the sled track after a dusting of snow....let the proper authorities deal with the problem.
    Don't judge everyone by the action of a few. Most of the sledders are OK and will police their own using peer pressure most of the time.

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It does seem many are. The local "trail rider" group really lost me.

They had a "friend" come talk to me with couple of members. They wanted me to cut my fence so they could go across my land. When I didn't go for that I was "informed" that if I did not sign permission and any snowmobiler got injured I could be sued. But if I give permission the trail riders insurance would cover it.
    I made it clear that any snowmobilers out of road right of way are trespassers. (not that it stops them)

Around here the big thing is "Poker runs" Meet at a bar. (drink) then get a card and drive to another town (bar) and (drink) you get another card and go to a third,forth, fifth bar (downing a drink and getting a card at each) then you play your "hand"
    When I was a EMT I got to pick up a few who never made it.... They also think they can go 75mph in the ditch....

I rented snowmobiles and went up the Divide in Colorado. That was neat. (doubt I broke 40mph entire trip. )

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

It's really like anything else, once a sport gains widespread acceptance, people flock to it, including many aholes.
    When everything is covered with snow, that can sometimes include signs, fence posts etc.
    As a sledder, I see more clowns every year. They don't respect property, they don't know the area and where *not* to sled (like avalanche/chute areas) and all have the latest badass climber LT with pipes...yet can't dig themselves out.
    On the plus side, machines should get more quiet as the 4 strokers take over.

5. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

ATVs are a bigger problem where I live. Same complaint here. Just follow the laws regarding private vs public property. And, don't travel where you aren't allowed to travel. Just because it's state land does not mean you have the right to drive your ATV on it.

Last year a snowmobile came off the up through a friends yard and right across his deck! Actually, I had to laugh, but it's just not right...