Question for other photographers out there

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by xtreme99, Nov 2, 2010.

1. xtreme99

xtreme99 What's a Glock?

I shot a wedding this weekend. I decided to try something different, and I collected everyone's email address during the wedding. I usually sell prints directly off my own website, but the hassle of having them printed and shipped isn't worth it anymore. So for this wedding, I think I'm going to go a different route.

What I need: A website that allows me to host my pictures on their website, give me a URL for that gallery that I can email to all of the guests, with the option for them to buy the print and have it printed and shipped directly from the website, and all I do is collect a percentage of the sale. I'm not so much worried about how much money I make off of this, as I am ease of use for both me and the customers buying prints. My website was simple when it came to ordering prints, and I want to keep it that way.

Anyone have any websites they use for something like that. I've been searching Google like crazy, and most of the similar sites are way too complicated. I need it simplified, but anything anyone has experience with is a huge help.

Thanks!

2. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

No experience, but I think smugmug allows you to put up a gallery that others can order prints from. Costs money of course. There may be another place as well, but I can't recall the website...

3. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I usually create a DVD of both movies and images I shoot, I find suitable music for the images on the DVD. I also provide a CD with raw images. Seems to be a smash hit with people that have received them. They all really loved it as it allowed them to pick and choose as well as watch a tasteful video on their TV.

But I don't do it enough for it to be a big deal either. More for friends and their friends.

4. xtreme99

xtreme99 What's a Glock?

I do the same. Client gets all processed images, plus all raw images straight from the camera, on two separate disks. The thing is, while I was at the wedding, just about everyone in the family asked if there was a place online that they could order prints of the wedding. I usually use my own website and software to do this, but I decided that it's too much work, and want to have a third party handle that part.

686Owner, checking out smugmug right now, thanks for that info!

5. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I've done this for events and wedding, especially when many folks are from out of state.

My main hosting site is DotPhoto.com. Good site, great prints, slow to pay you your percent.

I have used photoreflect.com in the past. They changed there site enough that I hated a few years ago. A newbie might like it though.

Expect a VERY SMALL back end from reorders prints online.

Orders are very small to nothing. Even when I tried to raise my minimum purchase price, it didn't help. 99% of orders are your lowest price, so price it accordingly.

I have had a page that got two hundred views, (with only 100 guests, that's great!) some lasting two minutes or longer with zero sales.

Screen captures suck, but even with a strong watermark, everyone and their nephew does it.

Processional private survey's have lead to the truth. Most people would rather have an inferior product for free than pay for a nice one.

Thank god the clients always pays my normal fee or I'd be very unhappy.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  6. emopunker2004

emopunker2004

flickr.com might. u'd have to open a pro account i think because of ur volume of pictures

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I had great results with ExposureManager.com.

8. snwbrdr435

snwbrdr435

9. schild

schild

I have a SmugMug (www.smugmug.com) professional account for photo hosting/website.
    I've always been happy with the quality of prints that I've ordered.

10. Gription

Gription

The last wedding I went to the photographer used http://imageevent.com/. We could look at all of the photos and order any we wanted.

11. xtreme99

xtreme99 What's a Glock?

Wow great responses guys! I'm going to check out everything mentioned here, but the two that grab my attention are smugmug.com and imageevent.com

JimBianchi, I agree, there isn't much return on printed products, which is also why I'm looking at third party sites like this. It just isn't worth it for me to do it myself. Like you said though, I have already been paid for my services, I'm just trying to offer something up to the family as well as the bride and groom.

12. Lohtse

Lohtse

I've been using Smugmug for a couple of years now. Very easy to set up, highly customizable, and you can sell prints off of your website immediately.

13. rppnj

rppnj

Smugmug...no contest! The absolute best! Continuous improvement...just when you think it can't get any better, they make it better!

14. saluki9

saluki9

15. xtreme99

xtreme99 What's a Glock?

16. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

My wife uses Miller labs or something like that. She has liked it better than others she has tried but i'm not sure which ones they are.