GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I’m not sure this belongs in the political section, but masks have somewhat become political so I thought i’d put it here. I know nobody knows for sure, but how long do you think we will be wearing masks? This is an honest question, and i’m not trying to start a fight. I work 12 hour shifts, and I have to wear a mask (surgical) (we are not allowed to wear a cloth) the whole shift, only taking it off when eating or drinking. I work as a mechanic, so my job is physical. It is extremely difficult to wear the mask for 12 hours a day. After a little bit with it on I feel claustrophobic and feel like I can’t breathe. I seen an article headline (admittedly I didn’t read the article at the time) that fauci said we will have to wear masks even after a vaccine. What’s your honest opinion? Until a safe vaccine is here? 1 year after a safe vaccine? Forever?
According To OSHA Standards, workers who are required to wear a face mask OTHER THEN A SURGICAL MASK should be fit tested, medically screened for approval.
OSHA does not approve of any surgical masks, they will fail the fit test every time.
OSHA has even started to bend their enforcement regulations.
Maybe see if you can wear a face shield while in your working area ?

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Without 100% mask wearing, mask don't do much good. But when everybody wears them, and practices Social Distancing; they are very effective.

People ignore Tokyo. One of the largest cities on earth. One of the lowest death and infection rates. Everybody wears a mask and practices Social distancing. They also restrict immigration.

·
Banned
31,207 Posts
A mask may help if you immediately walk through someone’s sneeze or cough cloud of respiratory droplets. Perfect? No, not even close, but some level of protection for the vulnerable.

But think about it, even wearing a mask, to be protected you would need to immediately go home and shower and change clothes, which no doubt contain the same respiratory droplets the mask was trying to protect you from.
What about that “cloud” getting in your eyes? Ever rub your eyes? I’m been saying this from day one, real effective infection control is nearly impossible for the average citizen. It is very difficult for hospitals to pull off and there are frequent slips.

·
Banned
31,207 Posts
Without 100% mask wearing, mask don't do much good. But when everybody wears them, and practices Social Distancing; they are very effective.

People ignore Tokyo. One of the largest cities on earth. One of the lowest death and infection rates. Everybody wears a mask and practices Social distancing. They also restrict immigration.
You do know that is what the leftists say about gun control, right?

·
Banned
31,207 Posts
....but the virus does not float around independently. The most common means of transmission is by being attached respiratory droplets which are larger than .005. The rarest and smallest of the types is an aerosol form which can hang in the air. Most people won't be in that situation, it becomes a concern in hospitals and such during procedures such as intubations. N95 shines for these types of exposures where a surgical mask is efficient for simple respiratory droplets.
Um, you may want to check your facts. I seem to remember cdc coming to the conclusion that the virus is airborne. That means it can hang in the air for minutes and is attached to smaller droplets closer to its own size. I am not sure if it can be attached to water vapor, but I suspect it damn well can.

·
Registered
17,856 Posts
Um, you may want to check your facts. I seem to remember cdc coming to the conclusion that the virus is airborne. That means it can hang in the air for minutes and is attached to smaller droplets closer to its own size. I am not sure if it can be attached to water vapor, but I suspect it damn well can.
Everything I have read says that can only happen in rare circumstances with special circumstances.

Here is the latest update I can find.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/scientific-brief-sars-cov-2.html

Scientific Brief: SARS-CoV-2 and Potential Airborne Transmission
Updated Oct. 5, 2020

The epidemiology of SARS-CoV-2 indicates that most infections are spread through close contact, not airborne transmission
Diseases that are spread efficiently through airborne transmission tend to have high attack rates because they can quickly reach and infect many people in a short period of time. We know that a significant proportion of SARS-CoV-2 infections (estimated 40-45%) occur without symptoms and that infection can be spread by people showing no symptoms. Thus, were SARS-CoV-2 spread primarily through airborne transmission like measles, experts would expect to have observed considerably more rapid global spread of infection in early 2020 and higher percentages of prior infection measured by serosurveys. Available data indicate that SARS-CoV-2 has spread more like most other common respiratory viruses, primarily through respiratory droplet transmission within a short range (e.g., less than six feet). There is no evidence of efficient spread (i.e., routine, rapid spread) to people far away or who enter a space hours after an infectious person was there.

Airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2 can occur under special circumstances
Pathogens that are mainly transmitted through close contact (i.e., contact transmission and droplet transmission) can sometimes also be spread via airborne transmission under special circumstances. There are several well-documented examples in which SARS-CoV-2 appears to have been transmitted over long distances or times. These transmission events appear uncommon and have typically involved the presence of an infectious person producing respiratory droplets for an extended time (>30 minutes to multiple hours) in an enclosed space. Enough virus was present in the space to cause infections in people who were more than 6 feet away or who passed through that space soon after the infectious person had left. Circumstances under which airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2 appears to have occurred include:

• Enclosed spaces within which an infectious person either exposed susceptible people at the same time or to which susceptible people were exposed shortly after the infectious person had left the space.
  • Prolonged exposure to respiratory particles, often generated with expiratory exertion (e.g., shouting, singing, exercising) that increased the concentration of suspended respiratory droplets in the air space.
  • Inadequate ventilation or air handling that allowed a build-up of suspended small respiratory droplets and particles.

·
Banned
31,207 Posts
Everything I have read says that can only happen in rare circumstances with special circumstances.

Updated Oct. 5, 2020

The epidemiology of SARS-CoV-2 indicates that most infections are spread through close contact, not airborne transmission
Diseases that are spread efficiently through airborne transmission tend to have high attack rates because they can quickly reach and infect many people in a short period of time. We know that a significant proportion of SARS-CoV-2 infections (estimated 40-45%) occur without symptoms and that infection can be spread by people showing no symptoms. Thus, were SARS-CoV-2 spread primarily through airborne transmission like measles, experts would expect to have observed considerably more rapid global spread of infection in early 2020 and higher percentages of prior infection measured by serosurveys. Available data indicate that SARS-CoV-2 has spread more like most other common respiratory viruses, primarily through respiratory droplet transmission within a short range (e.g., less than six feet). There is no evidence of efficient spread (i.e., routine, rapid spread) to people far away or who enter a space hours after an infectious person was there.

Pathogens that are mainly transmitted through close contact (i.e., contact transmission and droplet transmission) can sometimes also be spread via airborne transmission under special circumstances. There are several well-documented examples in which SARS-CoV-2 appears to have been transmitted over long distances or times. These transmission events appear uncommon and have typically involved the presence of an infectious person producing respiratory droplets for an extended time (>30 minutes to multiple hours) in an enclosed space. Enough virus was present in the space to cause infections in people who were more than 6 feet away or who passed through that space soon after the infectious person had left. Circumstances under which airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2 appears to have occurred include:

• Enclosed spaces within which an infectious person either exposed susceptible people at the same time or to which susceptible people were exposed shortly after the infectious person had left the space.
  • Prolonged exposure to respiratory particles, often generated with expiratory exertion (e.g., shouting, singing, exercising) that increased the concentration of suspended respiratory droplets in the air space.
  • Inadequate ventilation or air handling that allowed a build-up of suspended small respiratory droplets and particles.
Well aren’t you the worker bee. I’m far too lazy to post the dozen or so, medical journals and vast edit articles echoing the same, that it is airborne and airborne stays that way anywhere from 30 minutes to hours. Now, since the particles are smaller, they host fewer viruses, but since we are all presunto be infected, then literally everyone is spewing out airborne viruses. And since few wear eye protection, man will contract it.
Look, eat right, exercise, wash your hands frequently, don’t touch your face, don’t touch your mask after you put it on, EVER, sanitize everything you bring into the house with hydrogen peroxide mist, and you will likely still get it, it’s a matter of time.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
He doesn't wear one at a baseball game. Why should you?

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
How will the vaccine created today work for a virus that has mutated?
We'll be chasing the virus just like we chase the flu. Some years we have a really effective flu vaccine, some years we don't. We have between 12,000 and 60,000 flu deaths per year and I suspect some of the variation depends on the efficacy of the vaccine for the mutation of the year.

But first, we need an effective vaccine for the strain that is in front of us and we need to knock down the daily cases. We'll have to see how the initial vaccines work out. I'm hopeful...

·
Scottish Member
11,428 Posts
Me either. And if you want to wear one, this is America, you should have the freedom to wear one. I guess i’m more asking when will the mask mandates and work places stop requiring masks.
Can’t I just identify as wearing a mask?

·
NRA Life Member
5,632 Posts
What about that “cloud” getting in your eyes? Ever rub your eyes? I’m been saying this from day one, real effective infection control is nearly impossible for the average citizen. It is very difficult for hospitals to pull off and there are frequent slips.
Tim, you make good points and you have background that gives your thoughts more merit than many.

With that said, how do you rate the current safety of eating out through curbside pickup and fast food drive through?

·
emeritus
3,480 Posts

I'm on board with that. Let's start with restricting immigration and go from there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
We have always had patients that were in "isolation". Trying to keep them isolated is very difficult unless it is some kind of STRICT isolation. Think virus lab. Hazmat suits etc. I have always thought that it was impossible to ensure complete insulation from whatever the pt had. Not talking about COVID but other things it always seemed that no matter how careful we were the patient across the hall or a door or two would "get" the same thing. I comply because it's my job, but I have always wondered how much good it really did. I joke at work that I have probably had everything we isolate people from in my nose for years. Colonized in my nose and me now, immune to most of it. Of course, before COVID we weren't required to wear N95 masks usually. Now, of course, we are.
The isolation they do in a COVID unit is much stricter and a lot better than 'standard' isolation but Nurses and Doctors still come down with it.
That said, where do I stand on this?
I think it's better than doing nothing. Everything Nursetim has said. It may or may not keep you from getting it, but IT JUST MIGHT. Not getting "it" just might keep you from DYING like some of the patients we have had that did.

In my opinion, we can't say COVID killed them. What killed them was the terrible Pneumonia and the ARDS that developed BECAUSE they had COVID. We are taking care of a lot of patients that are post COVID. Most are doing ok but taking a long time to recover. A few were torn all to pieces. A couple of those had NO REAL COMORBIDITES! I don't know if it is some kind of combination of genes that seems to make some of them get ARDS or not. ARDS has been killing people for years. Long before COVID. It is BAD NEWS BEARS.

One big downside to me is I can't see the pretty nurses faces anymore, and they can't tell how good looking I am.
Hell some of them I HAVE NEVER SEEN THEIR FACES. Don't know if they are pretty or not. I just try to imagine they are.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Updated Oct. 5, 2020

Good detail info,
I've heard the virus is small enough as the air we breathe.
And a particulate mask is insufficient, as we can breathe through our masks.
My own opinion is , we are not really protected as the virus can be on your clothes, hair, shoes, especially our hands as we touch things.
In the construction industries dealing with asbestos, silica, nuclear, epoxies , lead abatements ( removal ) we didn't just wear a mask , we fully suited up. Tyvek , booties, gloves, full face, sometimes half face respirator masks, and filters much more effective then particulate filters, unless you were dealing with a straight up particulate like silica.

The science behind the virus being a particulate is flawed.
The virus itself will cling to a water droplet from a cough or sneeze.
But once a water droplet hits your clothing or facial mask, the whole composition of the virus changes, it's no longer a particulate.
Like a snow flake melting on your shoulders during a snow fall. It's a particle until it melts, then what is it ??

We would suit up, everything new , suit, gloves etc.
Upon leaving the contaminated area we would enter a decontamination area. Proper training was essential or you couldn't do the work.
During the decon process before you went home , you stripped the protection off and it was discarded with proper training for the disposal of contaminated work clothing.
I've personally caught the Corona Rhino virus ( common cold ) a couple of times already.
Statistics show over 200,000 people die annually from influenza, respiratory, colds annually.
In 2017, 2018 our annual death rate in the USA is almost 3 million people

·
Registered
238 Posts
We have always had patients that were in "isolation". Trying to keep them isolated is very difficult unless it is some kind of STRICT isolation. Think virus lab. Hazmat suits etc. I have always thought that it was impossible to ensure complete insulation from whatever the pt had. Not talking about COVID but other things it always seemed that no matter how careful we were the patient across the hall or a door or two would "get" the same thing. I comply because it's my job, but I have always wondered how much good it really did. I joke at work that I have probably had everything we isolate people from in my nose for years. Colonized in my nose and me now, immune to most of it. Of course, before COVID we weren't required to wear N95 masks usually. Now, of course, we are.
The isolation they do in a COVID unit is much stricter and a lot better than 'standard' isolation but Nurses and Doctors still come down with it.
That said, where do I stand on this?
I think it's better than doing nothing. Everything Nursetim has said. It may or may not keep you from getting it, but IT JUST MIGHT. Not getting "it" just might keep you from DYING like some of the patients we have had that did.

In my opinion, we can't say COVID killed them. What killed them was the terrible Pneumonia and the ARDS that developed BECAUSE they had COVID. We are taking care of a lot of patients that are post COVID. Most are doing ok but taking a long time to recover. A few were torn all to pieces. A couple of those had NO REAL COMORBIDITES! I don't know if it is some kind of combination of genes that seems to make some of them get ARDS or not. ARDS has been killing people for years. Long before COVID. It is BAD NEWS BEARS.

One big downside to me is I can't see the pretty nurses faces anymore, and they can't tell how good looking I am.
Hell some of them I HAVE NEVER SEEN THEIR FACES. Don't know if they are pretty or not. I just try to imagine they are.
I use that all the time, lmao, the worst thing about the mask mandate, is I can't see your pretty face. , lol

41 - 60 of 83 Posts