GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Gentlemen,
Allow me to introduce my #1 son who is a Critical Care Nurse. Their Critical Care Unit cycles through little COVID to full up with COVID
This is his how he MUST dress when attending COVID patients.
Everyone needs to look out for themselves based on their risk and co-morbidity profiles.

He is a bad-ass. If he tells me I need to be careful.... I am careful.

2070FC52-7518-4037-A29F-A52CAE1607B0.jpeg

If you are young and healthy, probably no big deal overall.
If you are a 62 year old with a bunch of heart ( or other) problems wear a f’n mask and / or socially distance until we can get the vaccine.

·
Registered
802 Posts
AFAIK, none of the vaccines claim to be 100% effective.
But, given the logic, that if you're vaccinated, you don't need a mask, I wonder how that applies to people (like me) who have had Covid and recovered? Other than helping set an example, is there any reason for me to wear a mask?

Just to be clear, I think it's moronic that masks became a political issue...and I think until the vaccines are commonly available to all who want it, masks should be mandatory when out in public, at least in any areas with significant community spread going on.
And masks have not been proven to be even slightly effective... (Other than the placebo effect for certain naive bumpkins)

·
Registered
17,869 Posts
I am a 'proponent' only as far as where wearing a mask is required and prevents hassles. I am a bit skeptical after hearing the virus was .001 microns while the gaps between the threads of cloth masks was .005 microns. AFAIK, 5 is bigger than one so how does it keep out the flu-cooties? Makes others less uncomfortable, keeps hassles down and may have some positive effect one way or another. I'll continue until I've had enough or am told it's no longer required.

....but the virus does not float around independently. The most common means of transmission is by being attached respiratory droplets which are larger than .005. The rarest and smallest of the types is an aerosol form which can hang in the air. Most people won't be in that situation, it becomes a concern in hospitals and such during procedures such as intubations. N95 shines for these types of exposures where a surgical mask is efficient for simple respiratory droplets.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Wearing a simple mask during a pandemic isn’t political. Refusing to wear one for political reasons is.
I hate wearing the thing but I do for the small chance it might help protect the more vulnerable while inside buildings in case I’m a carrier. Scientists believe it helps the wearer around 30% and protects other around 60%. I’m pretty sure I can’t spit as far with it on. It’s also believed by scientists to reduce the severity of illness if you do get it. Good enough for me. I don’t look to some radio loudmouth or internet conspiracy theories for recommendations concerning my health. DJT is not a doctor or scientist either.
I’m betting once the vaccine has reached the most vulnerable, we’ll be able to scale back on the mask mandates. I’ll bet they’ll be gone by April. Once I get the vaccine and it has time to build some antibodies, I hope to come into contact with the virus to create any immunity the vaccine might miss. Even if I get a mild case. I ain’t getting any younger. And I’ll wear a mask if I do. Whole lot of if’s.

·
Registered
752 Posts
But, given the logic, that if you're vaccinated, you don't need a mask, I wonder how that applies to people (like me) who have had Covid and recovered? Other than helping set an example, is there any reason for me to wear a mask?
fyi...
Can I be infected with COVID-19 twice?
there is currently no evidence to suggest that people are immune after recovering from coronavirus. Even if novel coronavirus infection imparted immunity, that immunity could be short-lived and last only a few weeks or months. This would leave people vulnerable to reinfection later.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,111 Posts
I’m not sure this belongs in the political section, but masks have somewhat become political so I thought i’d put it here. I know nobody knows for sure, but how long do you think we will be wearing masks? This is an honest question, and i’m not trying to start a fight. I work 12 hour shifts, and I have to wear a mask (surgical) (we are not allowed to wear a cloth) the whole shift, only taking it off when eating or drinking. I work as a mechanic, so my job is physical. It is extremely difficult to wear the mask for 12 hours a day. After a little bit with it on I feel claustrophobic and feel like I can’t breathe. I seen an article headline (admittedly I didn’t read the article at the time) that fauci said we will have to wear masks even after a vaccine. What’s your honest opinion? Until a safe vaccine is here? 1 year after a safe vaccine? Forever?
I just watched some Governor give a press conference, flanked by a half dozen other officials, say we don't have a constitutional right not to wear a mask.

He and the rest of them were all wearing masks.

All of them except the person tasked with sign language just to his right.

What a ****ing blowhard.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

·
You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,711 Posts

Just to be clear, I think it's moronic that masks became a political issue...and I think until the vaccines are commonly available to all who want it, masks should be mandatory when out in public, at least in any areas with significant community spread going on.
None of the vaccines are 100%. True. You're not alone, and when everybody around you has been vaccinated we get into the strange area "Heard Immunity." It's hard for me to explain, but essentially when everybody has 95% immunity the virus stops spreading.

I also had Covig19 in March, but continued immunity has not been established yet. The virus seems to mutate readily making how our immune system will respond unknown.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
None of the vaccines are 100%. True. You're not alone, and when everybody around you has been vaccinated we get into the strange area "Heard Immunity." It's hard for me to explain, but essentially when everybody has 95% immunity the virus stops spreading.

I also had Covig19 in March, but continued immunity has not been established yet. The virus seems to mutate readily making how our immune system will respond unknown.
How will the vaccine created today work for a virus that has mutated?

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Your wearing of a mask protects me from you, not you from me. Even if you are vaccinated or 'cured', you can still shed virus for a very long time (as I understand it) and I hope you will continue to protect me.

I expect the masks to be around until the daily case rate is 0, nationwide, for a reasonable length of time. Months, not hours.

If you look at places like South Dakota, they were initially spared from infections and now they are a disaster, relatively. They thought they could get by with doing nothing - they were wrong.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Why are you wearing it? Pending your answer will help to sort of answer your question. If it is because your employer says so you would have ask them for example.

I live in FL we have no government mask mandate. Local stores sort or require it, hey have a sign it is required but don’t enforce it. So if you want to ignore the sign of the property holder that is up to you. How long they will sort of require it you would have to ask them. My employer requires it in common areas if you come into the office. I have been there a couple hours total the last 8 months.

I’m not sure this belongs in the political section, but masks have somewhat become political so I thought i’d put it here. I know nobody knows for sure, but how long do you think we will be wearing masks? This is an honest question, and i’m not trying to start a fight. I work 12 hour shifts, and I have to wear a mask (surgical) (we are not allowed to wear a cloth) the whole shift, only taking it off when eating or drinking. I work as a mechanic, so my job is physical. It is extremely difficult to wear the mask for 12 hours a day. After a little bit with it on I feel claustrophobic and feel like I can’t breathe. I seen an article headline (admittedly I didn’t read the article at the time) that fauci said we will have to wear masks even after a vaccine. What’s your honest opinion? Until a safe vaccine is here? 1 year after a safe vaccine? Forever?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Why are you wearing it? Pending your answer will help to sort of answer your question. If it is because your employer says so you would have ask them for example.

I live in FL we have no government mask mandate. Local stores sort or require it, hey have a sign it is required but don’t enforce it. So if you want to ignore the sign of the property holder that is up to you. How long they will sort of require it you would have to ask them. My employer requires it in common areas if you come into the office. I have been there a couple hours total the last 8 months.
Where I live is pretty much the same as you describe. I think my employer will require it until there is no mandates, as the state I live in isn’t the only state there in. I’m just seeking opinions as to when the mandates end.

·
Registered
21,058 Posts
Masks will be required inside of stores, on and off depending on the local infection rate, at least into mid summer 2021. It will be interesting to see whether fans will be allowed back for the 2021 baseball season and when schools will open permanently.

I feel sorry for all the people around here working in grocery stores, fast food carry out places, etc. who have been forced to wear masks and still got COVID, closing down the businesses temporarily for cleaning. Doesn’t mean the masks are or are not effective- who knows where they got it and transmitted it to their co-workers. Many restaurants in my area have closed permanently. Things will probably get worse before they get better.

·
Crusty Member
10,737 Posts
Your wearing of a mask protects me from you, not you from me. Even if you are vaccinated or 'cured', you can still shed virus for a very long time (as I understand it) and I hope you will continue to protect me.
I totally understand that, but we were pretty strict/careful and I didn't leave quarantine until I finally tested negative, and that was about 7 months ago. I managed to spread it to nobody that I know of (none of my immediate family got it). I joke with people, I'm the least dangerous to be around at this point, because we know I'm not carrying it / asymptomatic. I've had it. I'm long over it. And either I'm immune [for some unknown length of time] or we're all ****ed, because if having it doesn't provide some length of immunity, vaccination is unlikely to be effective.

I expect the masks to be around until the daily case rate is 0, nationwide, for a reasonable length of time. Months, not hours.

If you look at places like South Dakota, they were initially spared from infections and now they are a disaster, relatively. They thought they could get by with doing nothing - they were wrong.
They're just behind the rest of the country by months. A virus like this eventually spreads everywhere...just hitting the higher traffic areas first.

·
Crusty Member
10,737 Posts

FL has various counties that have enacted mask mandates [by executive order], but the Governor has done his own executive order forbidding enforcement of mask mandates. :(

So, in my home county, masks are required by order of the mayor, but there's no enforcement.

Private property owners can enforce whatever they want though...and at Disney today, there were signs all over saying you will wear an approved face covering that covers your mouth and nose, or be asked to leave. On each recent visit to a Disney park, I've heard one cast member tell someone to fix their mask [being worn under the nose].

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Thank goodness I don't have to wear one all day at a job. That would be terrible I think.
I figure we see a lot of masks being worn through late spring. Hopefully a good vaccine or three will be available and this thing takes a nosedive as summer arrives.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts