Question for LEO

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Mikesguns, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Mikesguns

Mikesguns

First of all I am not one but do respect y'all. Thing is I have seen some questionable calls made a few times, such as where they decide to pull over a vehicle. A few times I have seen them have a vehicle pulled over on a beltway in the left of the furthermost left hand lane. Why would a person put themselves in such a dangerous situation?

I have been pulled over a couple times and always made it a point do wait until I was in a safe place for both the officer and myself.

Just a curious question and I appreciate visiting this part of the forum and want you all to be safe.

2. GasTiresOil

GasTiresOil

We can only try to control where a car stops to a certain point. Some folks don't do the common sense thing and pull over to the right. Stopping on the left, middle, and anywhere have all happened.

Also the cars you saw may have been broken down?

3. collim1

collim1

We can only suggest a good place to pull over, not guarantee where the driver will pull over.

I generally try to wait to activate my lights until there is a nice place to pull over like a parking lot, side street, alley etc...

4. pgg00

pgg00

Like the others said. We try and plan our stops but the other driver is ultimately responsible for where they pull over

msu_grad_121 and Ajon412 like this.
  5. Ajon412

Ajon412

..... OR decide to just stop in the middle of traffic...... Gotta love those....:mad:

pgg00 and msu_grad_121 like this.
  6. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Had one if those last night. Yutz was doing 83/45 and decided to lock the brakes up and park it in the left lane of a 6 lane (3+3) high traffic surface street. I gave him orders to pull to the right via the PA, but he wasn't able to. What should an officer do in that situation?

7. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Call for a drone strike?

Ajon412 and pgg00 like this.
  8. Cirdan

Cirdan

Not a LEO, but a few years ago I got pulled over. Instead of stopping immediately, I slowed down, put on my turn signal, and found a safe place with a wide shoulder about 1/4 mile down the road. The office thanked me for keeping him safe.

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

When I light a car up, it is with the expectation that they immediately move to the right, pull over and stop. There are more considerations we take into account than just protection from passing cars.

10. Mikesguns

Mikesguns

Can you elaborate on 'more considerations' please?

BTW, gotta love the Road Glide. On my second FLTR and next will be an FLTRU.

11. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I'm not far from a naval base, so I'm sure I could get some artie if I really needed it.

Ajon412 likes this.
  12. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Not on a public forum.

I love the Glide, too. Best bike I've ridden - should've switched to Harley many years ago.