close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question for Lee CTP users

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Russ P, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Russ P

Russ P

This last weekend I was loading some 38 spl. for the wife and I kept having issues with the turret under and over indexing.

Long story short after futzing around with it for 1/2 an hour, I just changed the little plastic guide for the indexing rod. After that, no issues.

I only have about 3k rounds thru this brand new press. I have oiled it up, albeit, not religiously. It seems as though that little part should last longer than that.

I guess I should get some spares and oil more. What says the brain trust on GT?

Russ P

2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I can't recall how many rounds I went between changing ratchet inserts, but I always kept a healthy supply on hand. It probably is somewhat related to how fast you are pushing the indexing, but after the first time, I just kept a handful in stock.

dudel likes this.

3. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Interesting. I was having similar problems with mine loading .380. Took the turret off and replaced and the problem went away. Recently changed the turret over for .223 loading and no problems. All I can think of is that somewhere in the assembly process I had not aligned something up properly. What though I have no idea.

4. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

If you need to manually turn the turret for some reason when the index rod is installed, raise the ram a quarter way. The index ratchet won't wear out for 10s of thousands of rounds if that is followed. As to the indexing issue, if it happens all the time, adjust by turning the nut on top whatever direction necessary to counter the effect.

I've had my CTP since 2006 and I'm only on the second index ratchet. It's a simple press and when your index problem is fixed, you'll not ever need to to it again. Outside of a progressive loading 9mm, everything I load has been on the CTP.

timmay likes this.
  5. dudel

dudel

It's a fidgety bit. Keep plenty of spares. It get's damaged if
    1) you manually index the rotor and the ram's not in the right position.
    2) you have too much weight on the turret
    3) the turret doesn't turn smoothly

The plastic thingie is what causes the turret to rotate. IIRC, it's nylon, and supposed to be DRY. Lube just attracts grit and turns it into valve lapping compound.

6. Russ P

Russ P

I fiddled with the nut a couple of times during this little episode and it still kept under and over indexing. That's what led me to the plastic bit. I'll have to call Lee and order some more.

I can't swear to it, but it seems as though Lee wants you to oil that rod. I'll have to look into it.

I don't really manually index as a rule If I do, I remove the rod. If I'm just decapping I do the same.

Thanks for the replies

Russ P

7. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

No, the rod is supposed to be dry. If over or under indexing, it is either the nut adjustment is off or too much velocity on the down stroke causing mass of the turret/dies to over index.

Trying to solve this by the index ratchet won't work and will only lead to disappointment. If you call Lee, ask them the best way to adjust the nut - that is the key to solving the problem.

The best way I can explain why the ratchet doesn't work is that the plastic housing contains a square cutout on the top that the index ratchet fits in. When captured there on the downstroke (ram down), the index rod turns because the ratchet can't move freely. On the upstroke, the index rod comes out of the cutout and moves freely which is why the rod doesn't move when the ram goes up.

IndyGunFreak likes this.
  8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

Lee sent me some just for the shipping cost.
    I also got some other replaceable items.

WeeWilly likes this.
  9. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

I gave up on mine, and just removed it and manually indexed when I was still using the Lee. I actually felt like I had a better rhythm and better feel of that press without the auto index. Loaded 10s of thousands manually indexing.

ironhead7544 likes this.
  10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My understanding, based on internet gossip, is that the plastic nut the rod sits in is replaceable. And that it is better to wreck that than the rod or other parts. So, best to keep that part on hand as a spare, just in case you need it :)

Also important to move the lever up to the freely rotational spot, before manually moving the turret (thus not forcing the rod against the plastic nut).

dudel, IndyGunFreak and WeeWilly like this.
  11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yes.... The LCT is fairly bullet proof, but that part is one of it's few vulnerabilities... but it's a sacrificial lamb so that the index rod is not damaged. 3k rounds does seem short so there's an adjustment off most likely, as Don said. When I first got mine, I broke mine after a fairly short time. Once adjusted properly and you have a good rhythm, it'll last a good while. I think on my current one I have around 10k.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iPthaYPh4

papershoot likes this.
  12. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Those lil indexing nuts are surprisingly fragile and robust at the same time.
    I messed up the original quickly by not manually indexing it correctly.
    My LCT is often run with a big hornandy powdered measure with a case activating kit on it.
    A lot more weight than the Lee measure and I haven't buggered a ratchet in quite a while.

ChrisJn likes this.
  13. papershoot

papershoot

Russ, I would say you are doing well. I can't see the damage to the square ratchet, but they do go bad. Good info here. I'll try to increase the life of my square ratchets. I would recommend buying more square ratchets than you think you need. They are only $.50 from Lee as opposed to $2 from others. I love Lee's auto-drum powder measure.

https://leeprecision.com/square-ratchet.html

Russ P likes this.
  14. Russ P

Russ P

I guess I'll order half a dozen of them. It's weird because I just got done loading up some 7.62 x 39 for my Mini 30 without issue and then changed over to 38 spl. and it all went to hell on me.

Thanks for all the tips folks.

Russ P