close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question for Glock and 1911 owners

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by firecop019, Aug 11, 2006.

1. firecop019

firecop019

I don't have ready access to a 1911 and the thought just occurred to me. How much difference in grip angle is there between the glocks grip and a 1911? The reason I ask is because I was issued a Glock 23 but previously carried an HK compact. The grip angle on the glock was so steep when I first picked it up I was staring at the ejection port. After that it pointed fine because I knew but...my problem is I don't like the glock. I want to carry something else off duty. Maybe its just me being spastic who knows but I'm worried about carrying 2 different guns and not having one point right out of the holster.

2. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I don't have grip angle issues with the Glock. I draw my Glock and Para 1911 the same and don't have any issues presenting the pistol.

Practice and you'll be alright.

3. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

What stands out to me is the 1911's width, or percieved lack of, in comparison to a Glock. I find the 1911 to be more of a natural "pointer", but have no problems switching back and forth between a 1911 and a Glock. Try to get some range time with both to make up your own mind.

4. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Like the other posters, I have no problem switching back and forth between my Glocks and 1911's. I know the grip angle difference has been mentioned often about being an issue, but it never has been for me.

5. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

It's almost identical to a 1911 with an arched mainspring housing.

6. Glockadict

Glockadict

It takes a little getting use to but like the others stated, with enough practice you get used to it. I had the opposite problem, I carry a Glock, and shoot Glocks almost all the time. My wife bought me a STI Trojan for my birthday, and I had to get used to the thinner profile, and change in grip angle. I can shoot both with no problem.

7. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

I've got a G17, G19, and G26. I switch back and forth between them and my 1911's without issue.

I much prefer the grip angle of the 1911, though.

8. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

I never had any problems, revolvers are another thing. Especially a hammerless model. I might might have it pointing at my foot before I figure out were the front site is.;)

9. Jay26

Jay26

don't worry about the angle on a 1911, be concerned about the difference in trigger pull. The 1911 practically shoots itself, but you will notice a much much more crisp trigger pull compared to the glock. I own both and it can be a real headache at the range shooting them back to back.

10. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

All my 1911's have arched mainspring housings and I agree, they point very much like my Glock's.

Regards,
    Happyguy

11. wxl

wxl

Have 6 Glocks, 3 1911s (arched MSHs) and have no problem with grip. Yes, triggers are different but so are my Beretta, S&W1076, etc

12. pipo

pipo

for carry? Consider weight. Assuming that its a 1911 government "all steel" model. :)

13. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

firecop019,

I do have a problem moving from Glock to another maker. I find the Glock more difficult to shoot well. It takes me 20 to 30 rounds to get back into "Glock Mode". I also have to adjust my grip. I try to end my range time with a Glock to put me back into the proper mind set. Glock is my SHTF gun but I enjoy other guns.

14. Kinny

Kinny

No issues here.

15. Skpotamus

Skpotamus

I don't have much of an issue switching back and forth since I quit locking my elbows when I shoot.

I know this may sound kind of silly, but if you're issued the glock as your carry gun. You should practice more with it and probably just get used to it. Odds are, if you get into a situation where you need to use your gun, you're going to be on duty with your glock on your side.

16. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I like a thin gripped flat backstrap 1911.... and find that getting the pistol lower into my hand makes it point a lot better than any glock. The recoil recovery and point aiming make the 1911 work a lot better for me as well. I find that the 2nd generation glocks without the finger grooves fit me better than the current machines...

Thru practice you can get used to most platforms, but one of the various pistol makers will just fit you better than the rest... find that maker and stick with them. Going from platform to platform is not a way to get good at any one of them. I stayed with 1911's... and have not looked back.

17. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

+1

You can trust Ron & Fred to steer you right.

18. jimbullet

jimbullet

No issue here too on the aiming position of my 1911 and that of the glock. I believe though the main issue would be the positioning of your trigger finger with the single action vis-a-vis the safe action trigger

19. firecop019

firecop019

Yeah, that safe action trigger seems to be my problem now. The glock points higher, but I can deal with that.

20. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

During our monsoon season I started carrying a G17 CCW instead of Colt M1991; high temps and humidity (sweat) caused the mag release to lightly rust on the SS Colt. What I learned is that after sitting in a holster for several hours the Colt was much faster out of the holster than the G17.

Holster practice at the range and I couldn't tell the time difference til first shot w/o a timer between the two; sure could tell the difference with long holster times tho.

I find it easier to go back and forth between the G17 and 1911s than the 1911s and G20. The adjustable Colt trigger is really sweet and has a very noticable difference. :banana:

Bob :cowboy: