Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Tony

Was wondering about something. Are you given a specific plane to fly that is dedicated to your crew specifically or is it a random luck of the draw and you never know which plane you may be flying on any given day. I realize the model would be the same but could it be a different tail number?

If it could be a different plane, do you notice any different flight characteristics between the planes or do they all ”feel” pretty much the same?

thanks

·
Sneet
16,050 Posts
We have 2 G4’s, 5 G550’s, and a G5. There are little differences between the G4’s and the 5’s and 550’s. But they fly pretty much the same. The G4’s landing speeds are faster than the 5/550’s, but thats because of the smaller wing. I fly whatever tail number I’m assigned. It’s nice to fly to similar types. Some of our guys, fly the 737 and the G5‘s. There are some differences, but in the end, it’s an airplane and they all do the same thing.

·
Why so serious?
65,793 Posts
There are some differences, but in the end, it’s an airplane and they all do the same thing.
Attract chicks?

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack the thread. There were 170 B-52D models built. I've probably flown most of them at one time or another. We flew whatever plane the 'luck of the draw' provided for any given mission, either stateside or overseas.

The biggest difference we found was the quanity of the maintenance required on any particular plane. We sort of got to know the tail numbers of some of the 'standouts'. Some were known to be extremely good planes. Some were 'hanger queens', that we didn't really like to fly.

We had a form to write up all the things that broke or didn't work correctly after each mission. Some planes we would only have a half dozen or less write-ups after a mission. Others, you would get writers cramp writing up all the stuff that needed fixing.

Of course the B-52 had a lot of complicated systems on board. The pilots would write up pilot stuff. The Nav team wrote up the many systems they used. The EW had his systems. And of course there was the tail gunner. So it could involve a lot of broke stuff.

·
AAAMAD
31,908 Posts
We have 2 G4’s, 5 G550’s, and a G5. There are little differences between the G4’s and the 5’s and 550’s. But they fly pretty much the same. The G4’s landing speeds are faster than the 5/550’s, but thats because of the smaller wing. I fly whatever tail number I’m assigned. It’s nice to fly to similar types. Some of our guys, fly the 737 and the G5‘s. There are some differences, but in the end, it’s an airplane and they all do the same thing.

come over to the dark side and say that 😂

·
Registered
21,170 Posts
Attract chicks?

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk
And I thought is was they all end up on the ground...... one way or another.

Reactions: FullClip

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Charter rates start at around $6,000 per hour, and climb higher based on upgrades, amenities, and additional options.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Charter rates start at around $6,000 per hour, and climb higher based on upgrades, amenities, and additional options.
Cheap skates.
We typically put 3 B-52's on a target. Each mission cost about @20 million, according to one source I saw. I had 317 missions in SEA. And then there were stateside training missions.

Edit:
That cost may sound high. But there was also the cost of tanker support, fuel, bombs, maintenance for both types of aircraft, etc.

·
JAFO
14,050 Posts

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Cheap skates.
We typically put 3 B-52's on a target. Each mission cost about @20 million, according to one source I saw. I had 317 missions in SEA. And then there were stateside training missions.

Edit:
That cost may sound high. But there was also the cost of tanker support, fuel, bombs, maintenance for both types of aircraft, etc.
No, meant dinky charter jet not BMF B 52! :)

·
NRA Life Member
29,187 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts