close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

question for fishers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gumdokid, Mar 22, 2010.

1. gumdokid

gumdokid the karate kid

i am looking to get a new fishing rod was looking at getting and ugly stick was just wondering if anyone else uses them. if you dont use ugly stick than any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

3. Puppy

Puppy

If you're going to be fishing for fresh water fish, pan fish in particular (bass, sunfish, bluegills, crappies, etc) you would be well served with an Abu Garcia Cardinal rig, I like their ultra-light action rods coupled with their small spining reels (open faced), lined w/a light (6lb) mono line.

You can pick up a low-end Abu Garcia combo rod/reel at just about any big-box or sporting goods store for around 30 bucks.

4. KC Slim

KC Slim

are you bass fishin? if so you might want to check out the carrot stick rods. I have had mine for close to a year, and love it. It has back bone for hook setting, and is very light weight and sensitive so you will feel more strikes.

5. finz50

finz50

Ugly Sticks are the best rod out there for the money....hands down. I have owned four of them and they're great for the price.

6. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

I've always had trouble gettin a good hook set with any Ugly Stick... They're pretty durable though!

7. I.Hate.Glocks.

I.Hate.Glocks.

Ugly Stiks are hard to beat. I have 8-10 of em from light to the big catfish pole size. They don't cost $300 like some of them fancy rods but they catch fish and never give any trouble. So why not use Ugly Stiks?

8. KusoJijii

KusoJijii alegacy of fear

Have you tried using a fluorocarbon line?

9. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

They're a good rod to start out with when you don't have "the feel" to appreciate a good rod. Indestructible & cheap.

10. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

What is the price on those....round about ? ?

Ugly sticks are great for what they are, recommend for kids, un-breakable as get out...

I use Berkely Lightening Rods, just like the feel, and they have good eye-lets......a bit salty at around 6o - 80 dollars, not highest end, but salty, for me....

Especially since I abuse them endlessly....I have broken a couple, though....ouch.

Ime out ....fishin' on the warm days to come...:cool:

11. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

I use the cabelas branded rods... They seem to do the trick. I want to get a carbon Cabelas branded rod. I need a medium 7' for my heavier bait rig.

I normally use a medium light fast action with an 8lb test. Trouble is, every time I take my wife fishing, she ends up using it and I have to use my 20lb test setup. Need to buy her a rig this year.

12. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

The problem with hookset is not with the line, it's with the rod. Ugly sticks are as limp as....well....you know what. If you're a casual occasional fisherman, you'll enjoy them, and they will catch fish. If you fish every weekend, you'll soon go searching for something better.

13. TunaFisherman

TunaFisherman Halibut Hunter

I own several, and will buy more. Great rod for the price.
    And not all Ugly Stiks are limp.. Ugly Stik is a brand.
    Match the rod to the size line and fish you are trying to catch.
    Flourocarbon line is great if you are trying to catch line shy fish...otherwise there is no need to use it.
    I own alot of expensive rods also but...
    I still like the Uglys for the price. I mostly use Uglys on heavier fish, boat rods for Sturgeon and Halibut.

What are you trying to catch?

I fish every week, weather permitting.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  14. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

I have two heavy Ugly sticks and a medium Ugly stick. I use the heavy for trolling for catfish and the medium for bass while I'm waiting for a bite on the other two. I love 'em and havent failed me yet, and have had them for about five years now.

BG

15. Puppy

Puppy

I used to heavy Ugly sticks for catfish & carp but since I don't fish for them any more I lost track of what happened to those poles, they're probably in storage somewhere, anyway yea they're just about indestructible but I never cared for their light & ultra-light actioned rods which are the only ones I use anymore.

16. KC Slim

KC Slim

I paid 150 for mine. that was last july though, so you might be able to find a better price. Good luck.

17. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I owned one ugly stick in my life and it was sort of an all-purpose rod. I believe most of the ugly sticks today have about a five year warranty. That’s better than many, but better rods have a lifetime warranty.

It really depends on what type of fishing the OP is doing: heavy cover vs. open water, single hook vs. treble, etc. If it’s fishing in different types of water with different types of lures or bait, then I’d say moderate action is a tradeoff. If you’re mostly fishing in clear and open water however, then you want light power on the spine. This combines better with a lighter line that is more invisible.

More guides are better than less. I don’t care much for steel rings. Mixed materials are a good choice. The graphite rods at big box stores (and you know who I’m talkin’ about) are cheap imitations. They are made in China, and it’s like they heat them in your kitchen oven. A lot are stiff feeling, but they’re really brittle. I also like the feel of a cork handle when it gets wet.

If you really want to have some fun without spending a bundle, get one of those mini deals. I still have my Quantum Micro and Daiwa Mini-Mite from years ago. Those are fun for all-purpose, but beware if you hook one of those carp!

P.S. If you want more responses, then post your thread in the hunting and fishing forum. I got some great advice on scented lures one time.

18. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I've always been clumsy, doing things like closing doors on the end of the rod. D'oh.

I want to get a rod with those springy rings. I think they are made of titanium.

19. akhunter3

akhunter3 Alaskan Glocker

Go with Lamiglass. A little bit more $$$, but a MUCH better rod. I won't touch an ugly stick nowadays.

Jon

20. mrbray101

mrbray101

Redbone Rods are a great value. I think you can pick one up at sports authority for less than 75 bucks and its got a lifetime warranty.

More important than the rod is the size and action. If you really want the right rod for the fish you are going for then you may want to go to a reputable tackle shop and let them help you if you don't fish much.