question for dog people

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mattellis2, Feb 3, 2010.

1. mattellis2

mattellis2

i'm having an issue with a couple of my pups. I currently have 4...2 lab/mutts a springer spaniel and bloodhound. the bloodhound has always been really weird around his food...he is very protective of it, at least towards the other dogs. he will be 3 in June, and he has gotten into several fights with my male lab, who is about 8-9.

we have about 4 acres that are fenced, and they're most outside dogs, but i bring them in at night. this morning, i turned them out so they could go pee, and went to get ready for work. when i came out to leave, they were fighting over by the fence. i ran over and broke them up, and then they went at it again a couple of minutes later. i got them broken up again, grabbed the lab by the collar, and drug him back in the house. he had a cut by his eye and a cut ear, but seems OK. I couldn't find any blood on the hound.

both are un-nuetered, and i think there is a powerplay for who is alpha (excluding me). neither has ever shown any aggression at all toward me, my wife or anyone else.

would nuetering the bloodhound help? would it matter at all for the lab, given his age?

eta: bad picture of the morons.

[​IMG]

2. ShamGlock

ShamGlock

Neutering one might help. There are also other things you can do to put them in pack order so to speak. Things like feeding the male before the hound and making sure that when you walk through doors the order out is you, the lab, then the hound. Also dogs have a knack for working these things out. This may just be a temporary problem.

3. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I would put a shock collar on the one that is the more agressive (starts the fights). Give him a little nip when he acts up. Pretty soon he will get the hint. You may need to get them fixed though.......

4. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

5. A/C Guy

A/C Guy

There is no guarantee neutering is the solution. Neutering only stops them from breeding AND it greatly increases the potential for future health problems.

Check out these articles:

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

http://www.dogcancerblog.com/bladder-and-prostate-cancer-neutering-male-dogs-increases-risk-2/

http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/neutr.html

Quote:
    1. Castration of dogs increases total malignant prostate cancer by EIGHT times for some prostate cancers (prostate adenocarcinoma). So the answer is yes, castration does increase prostate cancer in dogs (which goes against what I was taught).
    2. Castration of dogs increases the most common type of bladder cancer (transitional cell carcinoma) by about FOUR TIMES.

Quote:
    The overwhelming mass of data to the contrary can no longer be ignored, and publications are out there so that no veterinarian can use the excuse of ignorance. Castration predisposes to highly malignant prostatic cancer. Nearly all dogs afflicted with this nasty tumor are neutered individuals.

Quote:
    .....early castration often results in an animal with an insufficient breadth of chest for orthopedic health. Seeing the number of giant breeds that I do, I am very aware of the tragic effects of castration on young males. The narrow chests which result are inadequate to support the weight that so many neutered animals, male or female, put on. These dogs then have to develop a 'toe-out' stance, with valgus deformity of the carpus, in an attempt to broaden their base for weight bearing. Once you've seen the harm caused by this practice in person, you quickly change that 'knee-jerk' reaction so often seen, of 'neuter everything that breathes'.

6. ScottCBA1

ScottCBA1

Def sounds like a temporary mix up in the pecking order....I bet they work it out soon.

-Scott

7. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I also advocate the "Let them work it out" approach. They eventually will.

8. douggmc

douggmc

Unless you are a breeder of purebreds ... neuter and spay your dogs people. The evidence supporting reasons to do it are rock solid. Everybody is much happier and healthier.

I'll stop short of saying I wish it were the law ... but ...

OP: I would definitely neuter your young one ... and probably the lab too. It is nothing for them ... they'll be running around like nothing happened in no time. I bet this will help significantly (if not completely).

9. mattellis2

mattellis2

i really think that, as others have said, moe is feeling his oats, and he wants to be head dog. the fights always happen when moe (the hound) starts feeling froggy and growls/stiffens up at tango (the lab). they jump on each other, and tango ends up straddling moe with lots slobbering and snapping.

i think they have only drawn blood twice, though it sounds horrible when they're fighting.

so how long should this process take? they've been fighting off and on since moe was about 18 months old. it seems to come and go...and this morning was only the 2nd time they have gotten in a fight when food was not involved.

-matt

10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css