Question for any Catfish people out there.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by crater, Jun 3, 2007.

1. crater

crater NRA Member

I'm kind of limited in what I can fish for now days, and like to use chicken liver as bait for catfish. Anybody have any suggestions on how to keep the chicken liver on the hook. I recently, but briefly, seen an episode on outdoor channel on using a bait loop, but before I could actually see what they were doing, it was off the air.

Also, any other good catfish catching ideas out there?

Thanks in advance....

2. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

I have seen people use guaze (spell check) to hold chicken liver on the hook. Shad, bluenose worms, nightcrawlers work well also.

if you fish from a boat. Pull up to an ol stump or tree in the water and just drop your line there. I would be willing to bet ol mister whiskers will be in there somewhere. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

3. noway

noway

around these parts, alot of people wrapped a small string around the liver and hook. Helps in repeated casting and from any predator fishes from eating all of youre bait.

4. Gbuilder

Gbuilder

You can use women's stocking cut up into 2 inch squares then tie them around the shank of the hook with thread. Thats probably the cheapest and most secure.

5. crater

crater NRA Member

I was actually thinking of that, only I was going to use string. The thread idea makes much more sense...Plus finding a woman to let me use her stockings also sounds good...

Thanks to all for the idea's.

6. glockawakka

glockawakka

I use a treble hook with a duo lock snap, when you want to bait up take the hook off the line, push the eye throught the liver secure with hook, reattach to snap and away I go. faster and easier than stockings or string. Buy the best duolock snaps you can find, their strong.

7. TScottW99

TScottW99 Bird Catcher

You can also put salt on the liver and let it sit for awhile. It will toughen up the meat some. I also have tried using it semi-frozen to help hold it.

If you have flatheads in your area, catch some bluegill and throw them out. If the bait dies, cut it up into pieces and use it for bait for blues and channels.

I caught this flathead last Saturday with a bluegill...

[​IMG]

Caught this striper two weeks ago fishing for cats, also on bluegill....

[​IMG]

I use either octupus circle hooks or Kahle circle hooks. The hook sets itself, all you have to do is reel.