Question for a Pennsylvania State Trooper

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by clancy, Nov 11, 2019.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

deleted

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Double the speed limit is downright reckless.

3. clancy

clancy

I agree 100%

Lawdog3 likes this.
  4. Ed1110

Ed1110

Was just talking to a guy today who got stopped for a 55 in a 25 a few weeks ago. He had a mandatory court appearance. He said his citation had limited info just that he had to appear before the judge to find out penalties.

He was ordered to take traffic classes and fined. Don’t remember how much but I remember thinking it was a lot. The judge also ordered him to return to court after the classes, so he could quiz him to make sure he paid attention. No lie. He even said the instructor of the course asked if anyone had his judge and he would talk to them separately to let them know what they needed to know for the judge.

5. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    This case is complicated if the driver has a NY driver's license. If NY has reciprocity, their penalty may apply? So may be wise to consult an attorney.
    I mention this because my friend with a PA license had a DUI in FL, he was subject to the greater penalty that Florida had; that penalty was applied by PA.. It was low level DUI, would have been short suspension had it occurred in PA.

https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/MDJ.aspx

Search by participant name and dob. IIRC you may have to choose a docket type if no county is selected.
    Cases start at magistrate level. You can search Common Please level (under Case Information drop-down) as case gets escalated, if that happens.
    Don't need to select county but helps narrow it sometimes. If you leave it out, it will show violations statewide.

This is from a private website:
    Excessive Speeding
    When a driver is convicted for speeding 31 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit, the driver will have to attend a Departmental Hearing. The driver will receive a written notice of the specific time and location of the required hearing. The hearing examiner will review the driving record. Upon the Department’s review of the hearing file, one or both of the following will be initiated:
    1. 15 Day License Suspension
    2. Special On-Road Driver’s Examination
    If a 15 day suspension is initiated, the driving record will show 5 points upon restoration. No points are removed if a special driver’s examination is initiated and completed. Failure to attend this Departmental Hearing will result in a 60 day license suspension.

Reckless Driving Penalties
    In Pennsylvania, reckless driving is generally a “summary offense.” The penalties for a violation include up to 90 days in jail, a $200 fine, and a six-month license suspension.

EDIT, Apologies I'm not an LEO, but have claims experience involving dockets and the PA MVC

6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

The paperwork could be later. He needs to be 100% honest on what happened. Get to every meeting, court... Be "I was stupid, never doing that again". Maybe look into aftermarket Governer. Limited to 70 mph installed on car.

7. GT2

GT2

Not a LEO but I was arrested for reckless driving at 18. Doing 84 in a 45 got me a trip to jail, so at least your son didn't have to deal with that. Owned up to being an idiot and luckily the judge cut me some slack and completely threw out the charge after attending a 4 hour driving class.

Also received a $220 speeding ticket from a Trooper when I was in college and was so broke I had to pay it in payments.

If your son has a lead foot like me, getting into this situation may save his life someday; even if his license gets suspended it could be the best thing that ever happened to him. It is odd that the Trooper didn't provide any documentation though. I guess they're just sending everything in the mail now...

8. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

If PA. is a points system state then yeah a 90 in a 45 could cause a suspension. I never heard of not getting tagged but with the way they are saving tree's nowadays who knows? I think theres no way a trooper is going to give a pass on a 90 in a 45. His insurance is going to get bumped too.

My kid got a 90 in a 70. This is what Son's do unfortunately. He'll probably have to go to a class and hopefully learn a lesson. You can call the Trooper station if you have any questions but he'll probably get his hearing notice in the mail. 90 in a 45? That could have gotten him a reckless driving charge which is pretty bad news so the trooper sounds like he did give him a break.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Google says:

Can a pennsylvania police officer mail you tickets in the mail?

Robert C. Keller
    5.0 stars 4 reviews

Criminal Defense Attorney in Philadelphia, PA
    • Posted on Nov 8, 2012
    Yes. A police office has 30 days to file the citation with the court. You will then be sent notice and an opportunity to request a hearing.

0 found this answer helpful | 2 lawyers agree
    https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-a-pennsylvania-police-officer-mail-you-tickets-991530.html

From what I have seen, Pensylvania law is often different than any other state and pretty unusual.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If the citation is coming in the mail, he'd better hope the address on his license is correct.

11. clancy

clancy

It is my mailing address here in NYS.

12. clancy

clancy

He was driving a Prius that his grandfather gave him. He must have been going downhill with a real good tailwind.

Bruce M and NJ1911 like this.
  13. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Please tell us this was not in a construction zone.

rugercat78 likes this.
  14. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Speed limit signs are for one reason, to bust your ass, and take away your money to keep up with the states spending.You can bet the ticket is coming!

15. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

You may very well be correct.
    However; At the age of 19 I was stopped doing 140 in a 55. It's a long story but it took the cop several miles to catch up to me (he was undercover in an unmarked car) and this was after me slowing down to 55 at the sight of a police vehicle entering the highway ahead.
    Anyway... I got a very thorough and emphatic verbal dressing down by the detective as other officers ran my license, etc.
    They let me go. I was stunned, truly.

Suffice it to say that I never tried going that fast on public roads again.

So it could be true.
    ... or the citation may be forthcoming in the mail, as that's an option.
    ... or, as you suspect, the young man is FOS.

@clancy sorry to hear you're going through this. I'm absolutely sure you'll handle this in the best way possible. My friend, that kid's lucky to have you as a dad.
    I pray it all turns out well and the boy learns his lesson.

clancy likes this.
  16. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

Printer ran out of paper?

17. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

The only time my radar has ever show 140 it was a jet coming in for a landing. I heard the tone and about hurt myself trying to figure out where the hell the car was.

RussP, FastEddieFL and arkdweller22 like this.
  18. igor455

igor455

As a 40 plus year police the story you were told doesn't. Hang together. That kind of speed would guarantee paper arrest towing posting bond the whole thingsomeone is being told a story and it ain't even convincing. Any one of my 4 kids would come up with a better tale
    You need to dig deeper. I would be on the horn with the barracks and fin d out who was working that night and speak with the sgt.
    Or do. Nothing and it will crash down on the son

Jringo8769 and NMG26 like this.
  19. clancy

clancy

I just got off the phone with the trooper barracks. My son did indeed get a ticket for doing 90 in a 45. The person I spoke with says he will definitely lose his license, and will have to pay some pretty hefty fines, though she does not know how much. It seems the most painful lessons are the ones best learnt.

Lawdog3, rugercat78, wprebeck and 2 others like this.
  20. glock_collector

glock_collector

Hopefully this is a wake up call for the kid, I know I was a idiot and a public hazard at his age...and I try to be "better" now....Got pulled over on my first V-max, while waiting for another popo to bring a fresh ticket book, I watched the hoodlums I rode with drive by multiple times...taking bets on what my speed was. I sure wish I had ALL the money I wasted on dumb crap back...

clancy likes this.