close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question for a GlockSmith about how this malf can happen

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by G36 Fan, Oct 7, 2006.

1. G36 Fan

G36 Fan

The malfunctions are failures to extract, and what happens is that upon slide cycling, the rim of the fired case drops down far enough to get caught on the round in the top of the magazine. The round in the top of the magazine has a sharp edge on the end of the brass case (where the brass ends and the bullet starts) and this causes the rim of the empty case to hang up. It hangs up tight and the extractor pulls free of the case rim, hence the failure to extract.

After clearing the jam, I look at the fired case and see a nice gouge where the rim of the fired case got caught on the top round in the mag.

I thought the stripper rail on the slide was supposed to push the fresh round in the mag clear so that the empty case could pass over it.. So, how does this happen?

A little background: We were playing with my buddies brand new G36, which is nice and tight as it is brand new, and we were purposely trying to limp wrist it with WWB 230gn ball. By holding it loose, we could get this exact malf to happen. When holding the pistol with a normal grip, it does not happen.

Rem UMC 230gn ball does not do this when we purposely hold the pistol loose, and I see that the Rem UMC has a beveled edge on case rim, while the WWB rim is flat.

A little more background: My own G36 has over 10K through it, and is nice and very loose, and I can't make this malf happen by holding mine loose. We're chalking this up to the springs and parts in the new pistol being tight and not broken in yet. In fact, my buddy bought one after having fired mine after many range visits. I put this detail in here, because we are not saying gun is at fault since we were playing around and purposely trying to make it malf.

Standard 230grn Defense loads do not do this by the way, in fact they just make you have second thoughts about purposely holding the pistol very loose..

I'm just looking for an expert opinion, because I'd think that the stripper rail would push the round in the mag down far enough. We were definately messing with the timing of the action by holding the pistol loose, but like I said earlier, my thoughts are that the stripper rail should have pushed the top round out of the way of the ejecting case.

Your opinions are appreciated!

2. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Seems to me you have already answered your question...

An unstable recoil platform does not offer the mechanical support required for proper operation of the action.

I am not surprised at the results of your testing... entirely within the realm of "potential" failures that could occur.

HTH

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You have answered your own question - what can we add to that? Limpwristing is, by a long, long shot, the most common cause of Glock malfunctions.