Question....Did You Think Robin Williams was Funny??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Ftttu

Ftttu

Robin W. was a funny guy and a good actor. My favorite movie of his was Good Will Hunting, however, I never saw a movie of his just because HE was in it.

Sad if it was true about him taking himself out due to the onset of Parkinson's or some other neurological disease.

2. Macc283

Macc283

No but he was a good human and a great actor

3. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

I totally agree....enormously talented. Very quick on his feet.

I knew he was depressed but did t know the scope of his illness or what his prognosis was. I don’t blame him for taking his way out rather than go thru all that terrible stuff and knowing your family dreads walking in the door to see you each morning.

I admired his charity work and how giving of his time he was. Supposedly he was ALWAYS on board for a tour entertaining the troops. That’s a helluva lot more than his brothers out there did.

A couple nights before his death he went down to his neighbors house whom he knew well and trusted, when the guy opened the door he said Robin handed him a sock that was filled with his watches. He was a collector and lover of time pieces.

Someone close to him said he had a money problem. He a home in San Francisco and an estate in Napa Valley where he made wine. It was like 25 million when he bought it. He was getting buried under all the huge financial responsibilities he had. He told this friend that he despised the thought of doing Mrs. Doubtfire 5 just because he needed the money.

I can see how a very talented actor like he was would really hate having to go thru the motions on whatever straight to DVD movie came his way in the future.

4. dingrr

dingrr

A little bit too far out there at times but hilarious!

5. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

If you have ever been close to someone that is as depressed and mentally ill as he was, you would notice his problem right away, even thru the funny guy act. So no, I did not find him funny. I found him to be sad.

6. pugman

pugman

Williams wasn't just funny but a comic genius.

Chris Rock and Bill Burr are funny...but compared to williams they are amateurs.

7. HarlDane

HarlDane

One of the funniest, especially his improv. Also a great actor and by all accounts a great guy. He's one of the few I found funny as a 10 year old and even funnier as an adult, often in the same roll. He could get out there sometimes, but what creative genius doesn't.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  8. Z71bill

Z71bill

He had a funny first name for a man -

Other than that - not funny.

9. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

Robin Williams was very funny, and a wonderful actor.

I don't think what we saw on stage was something that could be turned on and off, or the result of some determination to keep coming up with new material. I think this because the father of a friend I grew up with was close personal friends with Jonathan Winters. Winters would stop by their home for dinner or a visit when he was in town, and the Winters we all saw yucking it up with Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show was the same Winters who visited my friend's bungalow in the suburbs. He didn't switch his stage persona on and off, rather, what we saw on stage was the same as what they saw in their living room. It was just who he was. It wasn't a character or an act.

10. RC22

RC22

Yes! Robin Williams was funny to me as well as Jonathan Winters. May they both RIP.
    *Learning more about Mr. Williams health issues at the end of his life is tragic. You never really know what people are going through unless you walk a mile in their shoes.

11. J_Rico

J_Rico

Robin Williams was a genius. Great in comedic and dramatic roles and he could be funny at the drop of a hat. Heck, he probably did a bit one time when he saw someone drop a hat and it was hilarious.

The Fisher King will make you laugh and cry. IMO one of his best performances.

Suicide is a tricky issue. Often a mistake, often tragic and yes, in some situations the actions of a coward. However, when facing a terminal, debilitating illness with zero hope, I can respect it. Why continue in misery with no gain? Too many people confuse living with being alive.

12. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Many of the funniest comedians and actors had/have those demons. Humor is a way for them to cope with their pain, I guess.

IllinoisGun likes this.
  13. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I thought Kinison was frigging hilarious!

14. unit1069

unit1069

Robin Williams never impressed me as a top flight comedian. Everyone has different tastes.

15. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

When you realize that most of his funniest material was all impromptu...damn!
    Very little of his lines in Good Morning Vietnam were scripted. None of the broadcasts were scripted.
    Most comedians I’ve seen, I can see their punch lines coming a mile away. Never with Robin. His mind operated at a higher speed than anyone else.

That’s really what makes something funny to me...it has to surprise me. When Ghalliger puts a watermelon on a table and pulls out a giant mallet, it might be entertaining but it certainly isn’t funny. You know what’s going to happen, the entertainment is in seeing it happen. When Robin opened his mouth, nobody had any idea what would happen next.

16. Z71bill

Z71bill