close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question Concerning Log Cabins

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by USMCsilver, Mar 2, 2010.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

All things happen for a reason.

We found a house tonight. Log cabin, 1600 sq. ft., 4.99 acres, huge shop w/ water/electricty, 2 streams, and a possible pond site.

Anyway, it's a log cabin. Age is b/t 13-20 years according to realtor. It was listed last week. New red metal roof.

We're VERY interested. Granted, living arangements would be less than traditional, but it's something I'm willing to live with. The land is sweet, the shop is awesome, etc...

So -- I'm here to find out some folks' experiance w/ log cabins. Ups/downs? Ins/outs?

Thanks y'all! :wavey:

2. Kozel

Kozel

Walls can stop most bullets.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

But what about the windows? :dunno:

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

OK, I bot one 3 years ago, here's what I've learned the hard way:

1. I cannot believe how much heat this sucker holds in teh winter and how it stays cool in the summer. I'm beginning to doubt anything but spray-in insulation for a normal house. 8-10" of solid wood is much more energy efficient than a wall with fiberglass. It SOAKS the heat in the day during winter and repels some heat in the summer. Me likey!

2. Stay on that maintenance! My wife pressured me BIG TIME to get it painted last year. Where are all them crying smilies. I JUST found a good log cabin guy about 200 miles away. So, in 2-3 years when the paint is beat-on b/c we're in full sun (facing south), I'll have it blasted, borated and re-stained, as it should be.

3. Logs leak. (Oooh, he leakin!) Well, not always, but poor chinking, V-shaped butt-joints and the like will let water seep in. Watch out for it and be prepared to fix it.

4. Bugs love you! Hence the borate and voracious militant stance against carpenter ants and mason (bumble) bees. Both will wipe out your home.

5. Depsite 2-4, it's the best! There's something about a real wood home. Mmmmm.

5. poppabrutus

poppabrutus

We lived in a cabin for about 5 years. Only moved due to relocating to another state. It was a good experience. The only negatives were minor - it tended to be dark inside due to the dark wood, the construction was a bit crude, our well had some issues, etc. But it was cozy in the winter with snow on the ground and a fire in the fire place.

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Thanks Dennis.

I really love the lot, the home's decent. I mean, awesome looking, but odd...

Tiny master bedroom. Smaller 2nd bedroom. Master is 13'x9'. 2nd is 11.5x10.

However, the loft is huge, and would be our master. We'd convert the master to a huge closet/storage type area as it holds the master bath. As far as the loft goes, it's 19x15.

There's a "sunroom" running half the back of the cabin that's 23x9.5. That would be our "office/sewing room"

Again, the shop is huge! It's a metal building, walk in door, and garage door.

Anyway, we're talking...thinking if this is what we really want. I'm about ready for a contract. I'm just after some log cabin info right now!!!

7. Kozel

Kozel

That is what sandbags are for!

8. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

oooog. Logs. They've been my constant companion these past 3 years...

[​IMG]

Took it from planning to building to living. Love it.

If I were looking at buying one, especially one that was 15-20 years old, I'd be very careful about inspections. Look for any damage caused by neglected maintenance, bug problems, etc. The new roof is cool, but I'd check for any damage caused by whatever prompted the new roof to be put on.

Then there'll be upkeep. I'll be treating/staining (at least parts) for the next 3 summers. After that I'll be able to wait a few years in between treatments. Don't skimp.

Still, wouldn't change it for the world...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  9. F350

F350

Find out the company that made the kit, or was it local logs, and what style (profile) logs were used; there is far more to log houses than just being logs. There are many different ways of locking the runs of logs together, some of the better companies use a sort of tongue and groove which keeps the logs aligned and locks out drafts, are the logs "chinked" or flush fitting, if flush fitting what type (if any) material was used between the logs?.

Also the way the logs are treated at the company, were they aged/kiln dried and to what moisture content, what type of tree was used, pine and what type of pine, cedar, oak red or white, the type of log has much to do with durability of the house. When was the last time the exterior was treated with water proofing/preservative and how many times has it been treated since it was built, if treatment of the logs has not been maintained there has been damage done to the structural integrity of the logs (warping & cracking, insect invasion etc) look for cracking, buckling and warping, look close not just a general over view, is each course of logs sitting squarely onto of those below?

I love log houses, always wanted one and even nearly built one, to the point of designing
    one and having a couple major companies quote a price but the land deal fell through. I am in Iraq and do not have access to my old log house material but I can probably give my recollections on major manufactures if you can find out who did the kit.

If it was a kit from a major manufacturer research the company like you are getting ready to build, find out how the logs are treated and how the profile log used is put together. Some companies use full wall height screws that need to be tightened as the logs shrink etc; find out all you can about the construction of the house.

mhambi-
    Love the house, it shares several design features of the one I designed, you luck dog. At my age I will likely never get the chance to live in my dream house.

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

mhambi -- the inside of the ceilings looked great. Could not see damage.

On what appears to be an addition off the back, the "sunroom", there's a sheetrock ceiling w/ what appears to be OLD water damage. It was slight. It rained all day today, and I didn't notice a drop of water anywhere so I'm sure the new roof has since fixed whatever problem there was.

The kitchen needs new countertops/appliances, the bedrooms new carpet, the bathrooms new...uhh, scrapping of the wallpaper and paint. Since I work at Lowes, this is somewhat of a non-issue.

My wife's on the fence. I'm kinda beside her. Not going to talk her into a decision like this.

11. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

can be worth more than even comparable brick veneer houses.

However, find out who the manufacturer of the logs/house is and do some quality checking. There are some log systems that are superior to others.

I seem to be crapping on your parade lately, but I promise I am only giving you objective advice.

Rod

12. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

F350, I have no idea about any of that. Thanks for all the great info. :) Something to check into, for sure.

13. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

14. PatinAz

PatinAz

Sure sounds a lot nicer than the cookie cutter, chicken wire/styrofoam/stucco homes of the southwest.

:beer:

15. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

16. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Sounds good Silver.

Log home living is different, but not *that* different than a normal house. The property/shop also weigh in on the plus side. If the price is right...

Big decision! Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

17. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

18. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Those are BEFORE the new roof. Also, some cabinets have been redone in the kitchen; i.e. fridge moved more to the right. :)

19. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Very cool!

Again, best of luck with your decision. No pressure. :rofl:

20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

6. Forgot this one - at least around here this is only one homeowner's insurance company that will insure them. At a premium, of course. :upeyes: