close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question: Apple vs other brand laptops

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JCM298, Apr 7, 2006.

1. JCM298

JCM298

My grand-daughter will be entering college in September and we, the family, are buying her a laptop. Which would be better for a college student, Apple or another brand?

I know nothing about the Apple operating system. (I can barely get around in this Dell.) My son-in-law, her uncle, not her father, says that Apple is the way to go. He is familar with both Apple and Windows and says that Apple is better.

Since it's a surprise, it's difficult to ask her what she prefers.

What do you computer people recommend?

Thanks for your time.

John

2. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

What does she use now? Most school computers she uses will be running Windows and starting college is not the time to learn a new operating system. Also keep in mind that there is a "brand tax" built into Apples, that is, they're far more expensive than any PC laptop you buy. I'd suggest a decent Dell, that should get her through college. The Inspiron 710m would be a good bet, it's very thin and light, but sacrifices some screen size to do it (12" screen, but trust me, I lug a large laptop around everyday for work, her shoulders and back will thank you). You could also get her a docking station with a larger LCD monitor that she could use at home/dorm. Prices range from $900 and up, depending on configuration.

3. MOBEEBO

MOBEEBO

I have used Macs since they came out. I love them. I am therefore a litttle biased. However, if she has experience on the PC keep with what she knows. In the end she will be much happier.

You can also ask a sly question about them and see how she feels? That might give you a hint.

:)

4. Punkkin

Punkkin

A Dell might make a little more sense, but she'll love the Mac and have less spyware/adware/virus problems.

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

DON'T GET AN APPLE UNLESS SHE IS MAJORING IN ART or some similar field which uses macs.

The school will require her to run Windows specific software on her system (especially engineering classes).

edited to add:
    http://www.engr.msstate.edu/prospective_students/computer_initiative/college_specifications/

6. woettinger

woettinger King Nothing

The new macs based on the intel chip can be dual booted 'tween mac and pc. I say go for the mac.

7. GreenBeret1631

GreenBeret1631

The new Mac's with the Intel chip will run windows and windows applications, as I understand by using a freeware program that is available on the 'net.

The Mac OS "Tigar" (v10.4.6) IMHO is a lot easier and has less problems then Windoze machines and applications, especially in the virus department, etc.

I admit I'm biased, I have been a Mac user since '86. ;)

8. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

A casual college use has no need for a dual boot machine. Plus you have to purchase a copy of Windows. Get her what she's already familiar with.

9. woettinger

woettinger King Nothing

Or get her one that is not the target of millions of virii, nor will crash randomly or just simply needs very little tech support.

If one knows Windows, then one can simply use a mac. It is a very shallow learning curve, mu 12 year old did it.

Get a mac with Mac Office and she will be fine.

10. JMag

JMag

Since Apple, as of a day or two ago, has now blessed us with the ability to run WinXP on the Mac or run OS X (you can choose on startup) I would say Apple all the way.

Apple's hardware remains lightyears ahead of the Windoze boxes, IMO (Apple software has always been more intuitive). Apple will soar to new heights because of this new ability. Some PC makers will go away. Such is life...

11. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Doesn't anybody read what David_G17 posted? Is this laptop for her? Yes? Yes? Well, then why not ask the college she is going to what they recommend?

Hasn't anyone heard of needs analysis? What is it with this fanboy attitude? Laptop is not a piece of jewelery. It is a tool. Buy the right tool for the job. It is not something you wear around your neck to impress geeky friends.

12. GreenBeret1631

GreenBeret1631

Yeah, I read it! So what! the statement from the school was most likley written in the '90s. :freak:

13. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

The rest of the info lists 2Ghz processors and Centrinos, hardly the 90s. Windows is just as stable and safe as a Mac as long as it's kept updated and common sense internet rules are followed, and for half the price!

14. GreenBeret1631

GreenBeret1631

Ok, so maybe 2004! Their still wrong!

Oh, and you get what you pay for!

Make mine a Mac! Boycott Microsoft & Bill Gates!! :laughabove:

15. gunsite

gunsite CLM

i switch to a mac and never look back...

16. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Their still wrong? I won't even do it, it's too easy. Let's move on to the main point - the sheer absurdity of the statement. Do you mean their choice of math software is wrong? (I presume you are going to present your credentials as an expert in that area). Or do you mean their IT department that tested the compatibility of their software with various platforms is wrong? Please educate us on the results of your testing. Please give us specifics, test cases, etc.

It's easy to be irresponsible with someone else's money.

17. GreenBeret1631

GreenBeret1631

I see no mention of Math software in the post we are talking about. It only refers to the Mac's hardware. So WTF are you talking about!

As for my expertise, thats my business! I have nothing to prove to you!

You sound like you might be an academician type of person, do you work for that establisment?

Try to not take life so seriously!

18. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

First of all, stop yelling and cursing. Second, I was clearly referring to this fragment of David_G17's post:The Windows-based math and programming software used in the College does not seem to work well with these emulators.
    You questioned the university IT folks' competence by saying they were wrong. Since you did not specify exactly in what respect they were wrong, I was hoping you could be more precise. If you were questioning their choice of math software (read above), I assumed you had the expertise to make such a judgement.
    Funny, it really doesn't take a huge effort to click on the "Profile" button.
    JCM298 asked for an advice on spending a considerable amount of money on a laptop for his daughter. I don't see how I can not take that seriously.

19. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

the statement may have been from a while back, but since I JUST graduated, I can tell you IT IS WHAT THEY TELL STUDENTS.

FWIW, You aren't going to find PIC16 programming software as well as emulators for a Mac (most certainly none that will save to the class's required format).

Let's not even get started on finding Visual Studio .NET.

On top of that, the school can buy licensed software, and if you can't run it, you'd have to spend hundreds of dollars to buy your own Mac version (assuming it exists), and the lab assistants and professors will be unable to offer any help. It'll take many hours longer just trying to do it "the Mac way" and you won't have enough time to study for tests.

Face it, the professors assume everyone is using Windows.

I tried using Linux, and even in computer science, I ran into way too many walls.

20. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

Get her a Dell, and clean it (or have someone clean it) out for her whenever you see her.

Teaching a computer illiterate how to successfully utilize a Mac for school is a pain in the ***.

If she has better than average computer knowledge, then I could see a Mac working for her.

Also, a $700 dell is going to hurt a lot less when it gets beer spilled on it than a $1500 Mac.