Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about XP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Soujurn, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Soujurn

Soujurn Deus Diligo USA

Las Cruces, N.M.
    I have SP2 and in the process tray down by the clock is the little icon for windows security alerts. I turned off Automatic Updates and now I keep getting a little balloon popup warning me my comptuer is at risk, and I need to turn Automatic Updates back on, and to click on the balloon to learn how. It is driving me nuts.
    How do I turn off the balloon popups? I used to know how, but its been a few years.
  2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

West Columbia, South Carolina
    I posted this the other day, you can select and disable many of XP's features ... including popups.

Here is a little utility called XP AntiSpy that lets you disable some built-in update and authentication "features" in Windows XP. It allows you to disable error reports, services etc ... just select the items you want to disable and click apply, and it saves a lot of time. I’ve been using it to quickly disable services on every computer I service for several years and I have never had any problems.

You can get more info at

After downloading the file replace the ".txt" to ".exe" (this file is an executable, renamed for uploading)