close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about wireless routers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by john58, Jan 17, 2010.

1. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

I have a wireless router a Netgear wgr614 I have at home so I can use my laptop in the house. I use bellsouth DSL & have their fastest package. The speed is ok, but I'm wondering if changing to a faster router is worth it. The speed for this unit is up to 54mbps. The signal is fairly strong in most of the house, I don't live in a large house.
    So I'm looking for some input on whether it would be worth it.

2. migm

migm

Only if you do transfers between computers/servers a lot on the network wirelessly and you're noticing the performance is insufficient for you.

The usable bandwidth of g is somewhere like 20 mbit/s and I doubt your internet is faster than this..

3. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

No this is just for home surfing.

4. PipesandGOP

PipesandGOP

Doubt it. First of all I'd guess your service isn't higher than 10 meg. If you want an idea of how much you're actually losing through wireless hook your laptop up directly to your router via ethernet and run one of the tests here. Then run it wirelessly and run one of those same tests. That'll give you an idea of the loss you're looking at.

5. migm

migm

This is a good idea of objectively quantifying it, but be sure to run several tests since network conditions vary. My bet is that there is no real difference

6. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

How many computers on the WiFi access point? How fast is your DSL supposed to be? What speed do you get when plugged in to an Ethernet port on the router?

Odds are very good your WiFi is much faster than your Internet connection and a faster router would do no good at all. Like someone else said, if you do large transfers of data from computer to computer by WiFi it might be worth it.

7. PipesandGOP

PipesandGOP

How so? Sure if he's running G and went to N it would make a difference (as far as computer to computer transfers) but just going and buying another G router with the same standards won't. He buys a N router, then he gets to buy a new N card for his laptop if he wants to see any benifits.

And if it's like he originally asked, where he's really just worried about his internet seeming "slow" a new router won't do jack to be honest unless range is your issue and only you would know how far away you're taking your laptop from the router. I can say though that with a plane jane linksys G wireless router I'm upstairs (router is downstairs in a closet with door closed- not optimal conditions) and I'm still getting 54Mbps from the router and when running a speed test am running 5meg which is what I order from the phone company- basically lossless.

8. Cody Jarrett

Cody Jarrett

Good advice.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm of the opinion that if you're having a problem, its probably not the router. As was said, most routers are faster than your average Cable/DSL connection. I had my Laptop and my nephews PC' running wireless off my router for a while. My Nephews are always YouTubing, playing Flash games, etc.. and I never had a problem.

10. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

I did a little research and what you all have said is accurate. My dsl speed is not as fast as my router. I am/was getting a slower speed from my provider. I thought maybe the problem was data transfer from the router to my laptop. But it is the network. Thanks for your help I knew I could count on you guys.

11. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

And that's what I assumed he meant by going to a faster router. I don't think you can still find an 802.11 B router but why would you buy it anyway?