close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about what category to shoot?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TatonkaJack, Dec 12, 2006.

1. TatonkaJack

TatonkaJack

I am a new member to GSSF and am planning on attending my first GSSF shoot in Orlando in Feb. 2007. My question is this....I don't know whether to compete as an Amateur Civilian or Amateur Guardian (I'm a Paramedic). I've read through the Rules and the only difference I can see is in the prize allocations. It seems that as a Civilian there are more opportunities to receive a prize. Is that really the only thing that seperates the two catagories?

2. Houngan

Houngan

Yes, they are effectively the same class, it's just that one is restricted to LEOs and others.

H.

3. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Civ has more awards but its easier to win in Guardian.

4. TatonkaJack

TatonkaJack

Why is it easier to win Guardian? Any tips?

5. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

The same score will usually place you higher in the ranking in Guard than it would in Civ as Civ tends to have better shooters.

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

AmGuard almost always has a higher (worse) score than the winner of AmCiv. if you think you have a chance of winning shoot AmGuard, if your best chance of winning is by getting your named pulled from a hat shoot AmCiv.

7. weakeyes

weakeyes

Jack, you might already know this, but if not, Go to the Glock sport shooting foundation web site. You can compare scores at different matches and classes. Amguard will be your best shot most times.
    Bill B

8. Houngan

Houngan

No special reason, it's just that with a restriction on who can enter, you don't get the same number of entrants.

H.

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

10. kyjack45

kyjack45

Paid law enforcement and active duty military have to choose Amateur Guardian. Retired law enforcement and retired military much choose Amateur Guardian or Amateur Civilian at the first GSSF match after retiring, and then stick with that choice. Unpaid law-enforcement and reserve military could go either way (you probably should ask the GSSF staff). If you have a choice, I think you're supposed to stick with that choice until your status changes (upgrade to paid law-enforcement, called to active duty ==> Guardian; quit LE - not retired or leave the Reserves - not retired ==> Civilian).
    If you do have the option, I would suggest Guardian because there are fewer people competing for the Glock and the $100 for 2nd place, and you will also be helping the matches have enough shooters to make Amateur Guardian worthwhile.

11. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

You may shoot amciv or guardian and you make that choice When you register.

12. DrKyle

DrKyle

Shoot at least 2 divisions Am Gard & Am Comp. If you have or can borrow a sub comp. shoot in that one as well. 3 times the chances to win! Besides, its fun and quick to shoot. I drive about 3 hours to get to the shoot in San Antonio and there is no way I would shoot just one division! Best of Luck and go for accuracy first then speed.