Question about weight machine routines

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by gilfo, Feb 3, 2013.

1. gilfo

gilfo

Little background before I ask the question.
    Me 57 just started to work out on a regular basis back in Nov.
    Had heart surgery so my chest is a little sensitive to heavy weight. Looking to build strength and develope definition in my muscles as much as can be at my age.

So question is when working on the weight machine circut are short motions better than full extented motions when doing curls, presses etc. ie pulling weight from a fully extented arm vs a half extended arm on the bicep machine.

Hope I am making myself clear.

Thanks

2. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

We are the same age and I have workout much of my life. Full extension is better. Just don't go to the point that the weight transfers too much to your tendons.

I find at our age the amount I lift is not my goal anymore. I do the reps slowly over about 3 seconds a rep. The best is to do the big muscles (thighs, chest and back) for a while and get use to working out. Then add arms, shoulders and calfs.

I assume you have been cleared to do weight lifting. A trainer would not be a bad idea to get it down. Learning how to breathe as you lift ( don't hold your breath) exercises to avoid ( most cardiac patients are told to avoid squats) and someone to check your form so you don't get injured. I am still able to add muscle ( not as fast as my 22 yr old son ;) ) and keep the fat at bay.

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Not only full range of motion, but compoynd exercises too. This means do exercises that require movement in movement in more than one joint.

Especially at our age.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013