Question about VAMC elegability

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by MADISON, Dec 7, 2005.

1. MADISON

MADISON Millennium Member

After being told I am a Veteran...
    I have never had to go to our Veteran's Hospital[VAMC]for treatment. There are restrictions on who can be treated. I'm on MEDICARE, parts A & B.
    What would I have to do to register/see if I could receive medical benefits?

2. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Simply write a letter to your local Veterans Affairs Regional office, Include your name, service number, dates of service, and request to be seen by your local VAMC, new appointments are seen in 30 days.

3. actionpup

actionpup Psycho Pup!

Call the VAMC and ask for an application. They will mail it to you; fill it out and the mail it back. You will receive a notice of your first appointment by mail.

4. Mogasatator

Mogasatator

I think you can walk in at anytime with your dd Form 214 and register. There are priorities though. 100 percent disabled and so on. If you have insurance or NOT, the VA can give you care...Good luck

5. BadLight

BadLight Was that a tree

If you are a veteran they will care for you. Just walk in I think you'll be suprised.

Disclaimer I work at the VA... so WE treasure and respect your service. Our mission is to serve those that protect us and we're serious about that.

6. snkirsch

snkirsch Deceased

I am an 100% service-connected disabled veteran. You should have registered at your Veterans Service Office when you got out of the service. As someone who has dealt with the VAMC since 1973, I would advise you to avoid the VAMC like the plague,if possible.

7. BadLight

BadLight Was that a tree

snkirsch, 35 years ago the VAMC was probably pretty poor. It's been 35 years and we've change quite a bit. Is it "Club Med"? NOPE! But the care is as good or better than you can get anywhere. My particular VA is joined with Tuft's Med, Boston Med and Harvard Med. In short, we got the best Doc's going. Can't get better medical care at 3 times the price.

I'm sorry that you feel the way you do about VAMC. I wish there was a way I could change your mind. As a vet we owe that to you. Be well. BTW I am a disabled vet also and a bulldog when it comes to caring for people that put their butts on the line. Maybe just different places different people.

8. DaveGT

DaveGT

I am also a 100% service connected disabled veteran (Vietnam) and I have nothing but praise for the VA health care system in the area of the country where I live. Great group of folks who all go the extra mile to take care of 'their' boys.

Sorry to hear that someone is not happy, but as stated above, different folks and a different place might just be the difference.

Problems with the VA health care system start with the poor funding allowed by Congress. That's where the biggest bottleneck is. New veterans coming into the system these days face delays of up to 2 1/2 years after filing a claim, especially if they have an appeal. The House Subcommittee on Veterans Affairs is holding hearings on that right now, trying to figure out what can be done to speed up the process, especially at the review and appeal levels.

Congress needs to get off their butts and act NOW..... before the large numbers of Iraq and Afghanastan veterans begin to enter the system. Today's men and women serving in uniform do not need to be treated by the VA like Vietnam veterans were when we returned.

9. CADdrafter

CADdrafter

i've been over to the Dallas VA hospital a few times and it's pretty nice.

10. RONNIE J

RONNIE J CLM 300 Lifetime Member

I have been seen at the Huntington WV VAMC and the Lexington Ky VAMC since 1972.. Yes there has been lots and lots of changes-I am 100% SC and I do not care what section it has been Dental, Eyes, shoes , wheelchairs, lifts for the van or the medical teams--They each have sure seemed to always have my best interest at heart--not only taken good care of me but looked at what I may need down the road--I gave 25 years as a volunteer service officer for the DAV and VFW..Helped best I could--and saw a lot of vet's that things went the way they should and some did not--but over all VAMC care is ever bit as good as civilian care--mistakes -short handed --don't know if they can--new people passing on their way to make the big money--sure all the above--but in most "care for you places"--the DOLLAR is tops..

JUST A YES BOY FOR THE VA

RJ

11. JimmyMN

JimmyMN Veteran Member

I'm 100% service connected disabled, and get to VAMC only several times a year, most recently yesterday. At Minneapolis VAMC they do an outstanding job and provide top notch care. The rest of my care is done at Mayo Clinic provided by VA on a fee basis, but that's only because Mayo Clinic is 3 miles from my home and VAMC is 85 miles away, not because I don't want to go to VAMC.

I can't say enough thank yous for how this wonderful country has taken care of me some 35 years after I got back from Nam...VA has been a lifesaver for me!

12. dglockster

dglockster

I have not yet had to use the services of a VA hospital but a friend of mine who recently did, says there is now an income qualification for services. Does anyone have additional information about this requirement?

13. BadLight

BadLight Was that a tree

This is called a "MEANS" test. The laws have changed quiet a bit in the last few years. In the past the VA could not charge back to an insurance company, now they can. In the past the VA would only give care if you had no way of paying. Now the VA can charge based on you finacial situation (MEANS TEST). The care will cost you far less than a private sector hospital but it will cost you if you exceede a certain level of income. It's best you call your nearest VA and inquire.

14. ruamchitchai

ruamchitchai

I served in the Army 68-70 up on the Loatian border of Thailand in an Engineer Battalion. I spent 14 months in a base camp and never got to leave. When going home, at last, I had a brief medical exam. They checked my eyes, teeth and asked if it burned when I urinated. That was about it. They told me I had lost a lot of my vision and as soon as I got home go to the local VA and they would check me out. I did this. The fellow, who was younger than I, ask if my problem was service connected. In other words wounded. I told him no. He actually laughed at me and told me that I was not eligible for any VA benefit of any kind. I left with no intention of every going back. I got glasses and found a job with health insurance but never had to use it. Dental problems I paid for. After 30 years I found that I have diabetes. My vision got so bad that no presciption could help and the eye doctor sent me to a regular doctor who found that I was diabetic and had been for years. He ask if I was a veteran and I told him I was. He also ask if I was every exposed to Agent Orange. I told him I did not know but at our base camp they sprayed something all around the perimeter to keep the jungle down. He suggested I go to the VA and see if they would help. I was out of control with my diabetes and went to the local VA emergency room. I sat there for 7 hours and finally saw a doctor who ask lots of questions and took a blood sample. Then back to the waiting room. Two more hours passed and another doctor, this time a woman, told me they had lost all my paper work and blood work so it would have to be done again. I did this all again. Then back to the waiting room. Two more hours passed and then I got called to a small waiting room with a Vietnamese doctor who told me all paperwork and bloodwork was lost again. I would have to do it over and I did for the third time. He told me he was going to give me a shot of insulin and send me home. He left the room and I left the hospital and have never been back. I tried in vain to fill out the paperwork for Agent Orange exposure and it has taken forever to get nowhere. The VA may be good for lots of people but I have not had that experience. My wife got me on her work insurance and I use that. I was drafted if that makes any difference and have decided that as long as I can take care of myself I will do just that. There are many coming home now that will need care and I hope and pray they get it.

15. RONNIE J

RONNIE J CLM 300 Lifetime Member

You need to contact a DAV office

YOU ARE SERVICE CONNECTED

RJ

16. DogOfWar

DogOfWar

As has been said, there are income classes now, however, some things, namely a Purple Heart, will over-ride any income restrictions. Even so, you'll still save money, compared to civilian hospitals.

There are 9 different "classes", although I don't think that is actually the correct word for them. The only thing is, that they've stopped accepting new members in the last 2 or 3 classes for now. But, almost EVERY vet who spent more than just a couple years at a desk job will fall into one of the higher classes, say 5 or better. (Lower number is better.)

The absolute best way to handle this is to take your 214 to a decent sized VA hospital & ask to see a social worker. These guys work REAL hard for you. I have physical injuries, + mental issues, from war-time service, which I don't like elaborating on, but had some difficulty in getting the mental part added onto my disability. (The medical "class" wasn't a problem, since I had obviously earned a Purple Heart...it was just the pension that they were screwing up on.) I saw one of these social workers, then BINGO...2 weeks later, I started getting bigger checks.

That's what I'd suggest. My Dad, also a DAV, didn't go this route & it caused him some problems (pretty minor though really), before he finally got everything he was entitled to...monetarilly & medically.

And as far as the quality of service. True, there will always be some who had a bad experience, but those are BIG exceptions. Dad is in worse shape than me and has about 2 appointments per month, occasionaly 3. Sometimes he may have to wait a while, because of the 1,000 vehicles that are there each day, but he has NEVER had a complaint about them.

My wife has been overseas for almost 1 1/2 years, but she used the VA a few times also. No complaints from her.

Me either, & I regularly use 3 different hospitals for different types of treatment. The VA is, without a doubt, the most advanced medical service available in the nation. This, I know from personal experiences.

17. BadLight

BadLight Was that a tree

ruamchitchai, go to this site. March down to the VA abd tell the first Doctor you see that you were exposed to Agent Orange in VN. Watch them start jumping through their *******s.

http://www1.va.gov/agentorange/

18. JimmyMN

JimmyMN Veteran Member

ruamchitchai, please don't give up!

Start over by contacting your County Veterans Services Officer, every County has one. He will help you apply for benefits as a result of disease(s) related to Agent Orange exposure. He will use DAV or some other organization to represent you...they will help you get approved. It's easy, and he is an advocate for you.

Don't quit.