Question about used police trade-ins

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bdoub1eu, Feb 10, 2010.

1. bdoub1eu

bdoub1eu

There is a store around the corner that has police trade-in's for $350 and when I say they are used, they are very used from what I can tell on the outside (haven't had a chance to break them down and look on the insides but the outsides look like they've seen alot of wear and are very dirty).

Was thinking about offering them $200 (not sure if they will take it or not) but I think I can reason with them by saying that you can find LNIB gen 3 G17's for $400 - $450...

If they do agree (and I might buy 2 at that price) what are some things to look for? Barrel bulge? I'll probably have to replace the recoil spring, striker spring, etc. Anything else to look for?

2. Lothar

Lothar Noob

If anything ever does go wrong you could always send it back to Glock and have them do a once over and replace anything that needs replacing.

3. bdoub1eu

bdoub1eu

Think $200 is a decent offer?

4. The_Hunter

The_Hunter

I have a few trade ins and they all looked very used but the insides looked like they were all brand new. If you can get it for 200 awesome for you but I dont think 350 is that bad of a price.

5. failsafe

failsafe

Does the pistol have night sight's, how many mag's,Standard capacity, G17 or G22, 3rd Gen's ?
    You might check out Summit Gunbroker, just to compare his trade-in's..Seems there were some issues with the frame on some 17's that Summit sent in for repair..
    http://www.summitgunbroker.com/

6. das9mm26

das9mm26

Many police trade-ins have external wear from holsters, moving them around in a patrol car/locker/safe.....it's to be expected (within some reason, of course....drops from the Department helicopter.....:whistling:)
    Recently I purchased a G23 LEO trade-in.....several "scuff" marks on the slide from holster rub, and one minor nick on the right-side grip (Talons will cover it!).
    Field-strip it...and...VOILA!! Practically brand new INSIDE!! The 2 spare mags don't even look like they've had rounds loaded into them....much less fired!
    Same with the barrel....
    Ended up getting it, along with a 50-rnd box of Speer GD and a 50-rnd box of Federal HST....PLUS a MTM Dry-Box (think picnic cooler size....!) -- less than $400 out the door....this shop sells the stock 23 NIB for $530....
    LEO trades can be - and often are - a sweet deal....just gotta know when and where to look!! Good Luck!

7. GS19classified

GS19classified

Yesterday I just purchase a used, Police trade in, G23 Gen 2 with 2 mags and it had night sites on it for $350. The Glock had been around the block. For what ever reason it had cosmoline pack in the trigger.

I will spend some quality time with it this weekend, and she will be good to go !!!

8. Tired Retired

Tired Retired

To answer your question, if they let you have it for $200, let me know! The $350 price range seems to be the going rate for a police trade in. Its an especially good price if it has night sights and more than 2 mags. Remember, while they look rough ( and some will be worse than others) police depts generally have Glock trained armorers who routine service their dept's weapons. Like someone mentioned above, the wear and tear is from daily wear and use. That does not mean that the glock isn't worth the money... $200 is an extreme low ball in my opinion....

9. McCleary.11

McCleary.11 Skeet Skeet!

$200 seems like a low ball to me. The lowest I would offer would be $275 and I would hope to actually get it at $325. Try to get some ammo or get it for X price "out the door" (seller pays the tax). Good luck!

10. mad618

mad618

I payed $359 for my gen2 g23 police trade-in with 3 mags. It has some
    holster wear but shoots and functions just fine. I would check for barrel bulges like you said and also check the frame for cracks. Also since it is a police trade in it may have the 8lb connector in it, mine did. Not a big deal it's cheap and easy to replace, just something to consider.

11. cdunn

cdunn

while your talking about police trades,I just got one for a trade, and is there anything that should be replaced?I ordered a vickers mag. release,10-8 beaded sights,4.5 ghost connector, new recoil set-up, and springs,followers and one base plate that was missing from one of the l.e. mags.I shot 200rds. last week I like alot just not the things that I'm replacing.
    by the way I'd pay 350.00 for another.and be happy about it.

12. hi480volts

hi480volts

Who in Charlotte sells trade ins? My dad has been looking for one.

13. 97guns

97guns

yes an offer of $200 would be a slap in the face

14. GS19classified

GS19classified

Try here . . .
    Arrington Police Distributors
    800 Clanton Road,
    Charlotte, NC 28217-1364
    (704) 521-2999‎

15. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

I wish I would of known when my local PD was switching. They switched from Glock 19's to Sig P226's a few years ago. But a few years ago I was also too young to buy a handgun so oh well.

16. biggin215

biggin215

If I could get ANY glock for $200 i would poop my pants and buy about 6 of them

17. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

I got a Gen 2 Glock 22 for $150...:cool:

it had one of those trigger locks installed in the trigger guard and they couldn't sell the thing... A new recoil spring and $2 worth of Brownell's bedding compound later, I got a nice carry gun...:supergrin:

18. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I like my S&W 5903TSW a lot!

19. snipe1

snipe1 Perfection

What??? :dunno:

20. raising_arizona

raising_arizona

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010