close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about Updating Antivir and my Firewall

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Jul 22, 2006.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I got this message when I updated Antivir roughly half an hour ago...

The Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Notifier was not able to gain access to the Internet. This is probably prevented by a Firewall. It is imperative that the Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Notifier has access to the Internet, in order to get information of the Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Personal Edition in future. Information which is provided in the PRODUCTNAME Notifier can contain important innovations regarding current viruses or indications for the security of your PC. Please release the application Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Notifier in your firewall settings, if you want to obtain these information.

If you do not want to receive these information, you can turn off the Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Notifier on every new information through the check mark "deactivate Notifier for this message".

I've never gotten it before, so the first thing I presume, is that Avira didn't update it for some reason. Checked my firewall settings/logs, nothing unusual, and it appears Antivir should have outbound access. I then check the Antivir log, and it says it was successfully updated at the time I got that message?

What gives? I've been thinking I might want to give AVG a try, not because I'm unhappy with Antivir, just because. ;), maybe this is a sign...

IGF

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I think that's part of the advertising on the free version to promote the paid version.AV-PE's *Notifier* sometimes pops-up at the start of a download, with some blurb about AntiVir's commercial version. Blocking notifier with your firewall will NOT work. Neither will changing the name of Notifier's exe.

Antivir is rea;;y stable and easy system resources.I do find both AntiVir and Avast upades to be larger than AVG's.They also act more like a program change with each update rather than a virus definition update alone.AVG updates don't normally do this unless replacing the whole program with a newer version which isn't often.

I like AntiVir for being light on the system.I tried Avast butit's huge program with an odd user interface.I am using AVG now.Updates are really fast.Pop3 email is scanned in the free version.No registration is required each year and updates are automatic.The AVG user interface is the easiest to use.I originally installed AVG on my mother's PC because it's easy to use.It doesn't conflict with some features of Zone Alarm like Avast does.When it started catching things that AntiVir and Avast missed I switched.Of course that can go the other way too sometimes.AVG has now partnered with Microsoft and bought Ewido so they are in the money and resources now.Your PC may run a bit slower with the other anti virus programs compared to AntiVir.I've been trying out a new one,Comodo,but it's so new I'm not sure I trust it.It gets a bunch of false positives it seems.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well, I downloaded AVG and have to agree with everything you said. Took about 6-7min to scan roughly 25gigs of data. Which is pretty much on par with Antivir. Avast, when I had it, would always take FOREVER to scan my PC.

I've watched you pitch Ewido for a while also, so after I ran Spybot and cleared everything, I uninstalled it and installed the Free version of Ewido. Would you believe Ewido found almost 40 more "problems". Go figure.

I'll probably just stick with these two for a while and see how it goes.

IGF