Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I am going to buy a new TV soon. My projection TV has had it.
I have decided on 60 inch and LED. But my question is what brand vs. cost.

I want to buy the best I can without spending more than I have to. Everyone has their brands but I am not brand loyal. I have heard that Toshiba is hard to beat but really do not know. I have just basic cable from Comcast and don't plan to upgrade. The TV will be used for Sports, kids shows and the occasional channel surf. No gaming really.

Any insight would be cool! thanks

·
Boat Life ©
13,038 Posts
Had a Samsung 42" DLP-LCD crap out on my just after 3 years. Had a Samsung monitor that didn't last too long, but was under warranty and was replaced with a refurb that worked fine for about 2 years until upgraded... Having said that, I'm not a huge Samsung TV fan, anymore.

Our recent purchase was a LED 55" LG TV. Awesome picture, wireless, THIN! We've got it on a 170* mount and we love it!

I've got a Samsung 48" LCD in the attic that I can't find a spot for... I think I should just sell the damn thing...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes I hear LG does good stuff! I am not rich so this has to be a good purchase.
I gotta say, my TV now is a Toshiba, it had been thru many moves and banged around and still works like a charm but my little kids have finally started the screen to rip.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I personally think Samsung is the best brand. My next TV most likely will be another Samsung.

BUT I also have a Vizio that, for the price, has been a great TV...the picture doesn't really compare to the Samsung but it was also only a third of the cost.

I woud suggest you figure out a price you want to spend and head over to cnet.com and find the best TVs in that range and see if you can go look at them at Best Buy or someplace.

There are so many good TVs now that it is hard to go wrong if you do a little bit f research.

You will have to get the HD channels/HD cable box from Comcast otherwise it doesn't matter what TV you get.

·
Boat Life ©
13,038 Posts
I'm a samsung fan for TVs and more.

That said, LG and vizio are great value.
Correction, Vizio is a great value. I've never seen "value" priced LG's. Yeah, sales help, but kinda hard to compare Sony/Samsung/LG pricing to Vizio.

FWIW, for the money, Vizios look great! Their plasmas seem to look better than some of the other "mainstream" brands.

·
Glock 19 Rocks!
6,478 Posts
I love my 56" Samsung DLP tv! 6 years and still going good and it only cost $1,600! :supergrin:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love my 55" Samsung LED 3D ....its super thin on the wall and amazing picture (3D movies look great on it)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Had a Samsung 42" DLP-LCD crap out on my just after 3 years.
Not to nitpick, but it's a shame when certain information gets stated that's not true (somebody is going to read this and then think the two technologies are related).

There's no such thing as "DLP-LCD". DLP is a modern type of rear projection television, allowing frequently very shallow thickness. That said, my 50" Samsung also DLP model HLT-5076 took a huge dump on me - lots of black and white dots on the screen (I stopped counting after 200 dots and it eventually covered 50% of the visible pixels).

·
Boat Life ©
13,038 Posts
- lots of black and white dots on the screen (I stopped counting after 200 dots and it eventually covered 50% of the visible pixels).
That's what mine did!!! Just white ones though. Started with 3, then 7, 18, 33, 56, 106, 208...I gave it to a friend; don't know what he did with it.

Samsung, I'm sure, is a great product! Hell, I have their washer/dryer/fridge/range/otr/dishwasher. After my 2 outages, I just figured I'd go with some other brand. :)

·
AKA Fluffy316
2,208 Posts
You will have to get the HD channels/HD cable box from Comcast otherwise it doesn't matter what TV you get.
While I understand your point, you may also want to consider if you are ever going to be getting a blu-ray player.

When looking at TVs, I think it is important to watch how a TV handles Black parts of a screen. Watching something with White parts in the screen as well as Black areas should give you a good idea of how well the picture will look.

Many times, you will find that a TV does not really show Black, but rather a very dark gray. Finding a TV that gives you a depth of color that includes true black will make a huge difference.

LED really just means that instead of flourescent lighting providing the light behind the Liquid Crystal DIsplay, they are using LEDS to provide the light.

This can mean that it is backlit, local dimming or edge lit. Local dimming typically gives you a deeper Black due to the absence of light behind the LCD in the areas that you need to be dark.

There are plenty of reviews out there of the different types of lighting and I think reviewing them will help you make a more informed choice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's what mine did!!! Just white ones though. Started with 3, then 7, 18, 33, 56, 106, 208...I gave it to a friend; don't know what he did with it.
It has happened to hundreds if not thousands of people. For a while (~2 years ago) Samsung was responding to complaints and had a fix and were in some cases fixing for free or greatly reduced price. The problem was the DLP chips were faulty and all those tiny little mirrors would get stuck open or closed (white or black dots). Samsung nearly acknowledged this in support forums (with numerous people on said forums claiming they got theirs fixed), then someone got a lawyer involved and Samsung stopped helping at all.

My TV broke about 6 months ago and after spending weeks finding out all this information, I just bought a new plasma :)

·
Banned
5,038 Posts
wait til this weekend , there will be big deals leading up to super bowl

FWIW I GOT 2 46 INCH SONYS , 2 42 LG AND ONE 32 SAMSUNG . all i like

vizio brands i tried twice and both broke , wont try again ,

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
If you absolutely have to mount the TV on the wall, then by all means, buy an LED TV. However, if you want a big TV, I recommend you don't overlook DLP TVs. For the price of a 60" LED you could probably get an 82" DLP. With the Super Bowl coming up, there are some major sales going on for ALL types of TVs, so if I were you I'd buy this week, no matter which technology you decide on.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I just got a 42" plasma Samsung from an online retailer. It's not here yet, hopefully it holds up and works well. It is one of the few with analog audio outs, a plus since my stereo doesn't have a digital in. I got it for 400 bucks, this is my first modern TV. I would've preferred an LCD but wasn't paying over 500 for one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts