Glock Talk banner

Question about the Border Patrol

4535 Views 82 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  steveksux
Just returned from a four-wheeling vacation to southern Arizona and ran into Border Patrol agents multiple times daily (checkpoints, roadblocks, on ATVs in the desert, etc.) and don't recall seeing anyone over thirty years old. A very polite and professional lot, and we were wondering if it's a "starter" agency for future careers in federal LE? Thanks in advance, HH
Reactions: Paul53
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

· Registered
2,098 Posts
I always thought the chain above sector HQS was a bit fuzzy and hard to follow. The Chief Patrol Agent wasn’t an actual agency head like, say FBI or DEA. Under DHS, I have no idea what it is today. I can’t understand why anyone would want to work at HQS but I guess it is a necessary evil.

I still think that the Border Patrol needs to be split out of DHS and made their own agency and back under DOJ.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Yes, the “meet and greet” was a few weeks ago. I’m waiting to find out if I’m moving forward but they said it can take until mid spring and the wait is killing me.
If this wait is killing you, you might need to find a hobby as the hiring for nearly every federal agency I know of is an apply, do something, and wait a while process

· Retired Fed LEO. USMC late 1960s.
450 Posts
Rumor is that BP and OFO are going to a 9mm. A friend of mine who is a firearms instructor and armorer with CBP told me that they are running low on HKs at Harpers Ferry but has no idea on what’s next. Who knows what happened to the $26 million worth of pistols. I don’t know what happens to the guns that we (I) turned in when retiring. We couldn’t buy them.
Marine units do get a G23 due to rust issues with the firing pins of the HK.

· Registered
6,064 Posts
Unifor

Uniforms, understand that they are GS-14, you start as GS-5 it takes a while to even get to GS-12. Out of 25,000 agents about 250 are @ HQ.
I just applied today. It looks like due to my college GPA I’d start as a GS-7. My reason for asking was career progression. As with any job I am interested in I want to know what the potential for growth is. A 1% chance to make it to HQ isn’t the greatest but I’m sure it means there’s other jobs of the same grade elsewhere. The PFT looks interesting though!

· Registered
6,064 Posts
Rumor is that BP and OFO are going to a 9mm. A friend of mine who is a firearms instructor and armorer with CBP told me that they are running low on HKs at Harpers Ferry but has no idea on what’s next. Who knows what happened to the $26 million worth of pistols. I don’t know what happens to the guns that we (I) turned in when retiring. We couldn’t buy them.
Marine units do get a G23 due to rust issues with the firing pins of the HK.
Somewhere I read BP and OFO, along with HSI, were switching to the P320. I believe it was announced around the time the M-17/M-18 contract was announced.

· Registered
4,954 Posts
The only announcement I heard was ICE (HSI&ERO) had selected the Sig P320.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts