Glock Talk banner

Question about the Border Patrol

4535 Views 82 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  steveksux
Just returned from a four-wheeling vacation to southern Arizona and ran into Border Patrol agents multiple times daily (checkpoints, roadblocks, on ATVs in the desert, etc.) and don't recall seeing anyone over thirty years old. A very polite and professional lot, and we were wondering if it's a "starter" agency for future careers in federal LE? Thanks in advance, HH
Reactions: Paul53
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

· Registered
2,098 Posts
When I was going through the process, it was made known that every new agent would start on the Southern border. Hence the requirement to learn Spanish in the academy and the need to test as able to learn a foreign language during the initial BP entrance exam.
Yep, everyone had to start on the SW Border and Spanish was required. They did not use the artificial language test when I applied, however. Out of a class of about 50, I recall we only lost a couple for language before graduation, but more were lost after getting out into the field while still on probation. The patrol used the 6.5 and 10 month probationary exams to weed out agents. The Spanish exams were subjective and relied heavily on field performance from the FTA program to garner a passing grade. My understanding is that they no longer use that system. I got the impression that the artificial language testing requirement probably weeded out more trainees than the academy or probationary testing did.

· Registered
38,650 Posts
Still the H&K and only the H&K.
Not a bad gun. If starting all over again with my department I would be looking at one of those.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nanuk

· Registered
4,954 Posts

· Registered
2,770 Posts

· Registered
4,954 Posts
Border Patrol, in an effort to piss off as many agents as possible, has direct hired for Northern border locations.

The agents hired for the Northern border (some call them Northern Border Interns) do several months of post-academy training on the Southern border. While doing this training they're paid per diem and lodging. Basically they're FNGs going to a vastly more desirable location and paid more than the FNGs they're training alongside.

There's no way that can cause problems.

· Registered
6,064 Posts
Border Patrol, in an effort to piss off as many agents as possible, has direct hired for Northern border locations.

The agents hired for the Northern border (some call them Northern Border Interns) do several months of post-academy training on the Southern border. While doing this training they're paid per diem and lodging. Basically they're FNGs going to a vastly more desirable location and paid more than the FNGs they're training alongside.

There's no way that can cause problems.
When? I’ve been watching the listings and all I’ve seen were the Southern Border. That’s the biggest reason I haven’t applied because I don’t speak Spanish.

· Registered
4,954 Posts
They still are required to learn Spanish. I don't know if the program is still around.

· Registered
6,730 Posts
Not a bad gun. If starting all over again with my department I would be looking at one of those.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I carried and Hk P2000 on duty, but I purchased it originally for off duty carry. What got me carrying it full time was bike patrol duty. However, I went back to my Beretta 96D after that duty just because I wanted to carry the Hk off duty again and I didn't like an on/off duty gun.

I think the P2000 is one of my favorite guns because of apparent quality, it was relatively soft shooting, it was very reliable and it had a great double action trigger pull. However, I did get rid of it at retirement so I could go to only 9mm and .380 pistols. One of the main reasons was ammo cost since my agency wasn't footing the bill anymore and the other was because I traded it in so I could get the Hk VP9 - a pistol I thought I would like better.

A sidenote, I was given a couple higher capacity magazines from a BP armorer.

EDIT: If you ever actually did get one for duty AND you wanted a Blackhawk Serpa holster, I would give you mine that collects dust in my closet.

· Registered
2,770 Posts
I speak two foreign languages but I never needed to speak Spanish. Since they teach you I might apply! Do you know about how long it takes from graduation at the academy until you can work at the headquarters in DC?
Years. It may take a lot, it may take a few. They just screwed everyone on their retirement, instead of "High three" it is now "last three".

Why would you "want" to be at HQ? Mostly ass kissers.

· Registered
6,064 Posts
Years. It may take a lot, it may take a few. They just screwed everyone on their retirement, instead of "High three" it is now "last three".

Why would you "want" to be at HQ? Mostly *** kissers.
It’s not so much wanting to be at HQ as it is having family in DC which means free rent. Do the BPA’s assigned to HQ wear uniforms or street clothes?

41 - 60 of 83 Posts