Question about the barrel of a used G26 I bought

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jnewguyin, Apr 7, 2010.

1. jnewguyin

jnewguyin

I wrote this in someone else's thread but I think I wrote it in a wrong thread and worried about thread jacking. So I started a thread

I bought a used G26 last week and haven't shot it yet but I have cleaned it. I found out it was made april 2001. I didn't know how to inspect it properly, all i could tell was it was very clean, had original box but no papers with it. inside the slide was kinda dirty, not as bad as when I shoot about 500 rds in my G19. It still had a lot of the copper colored grease. It had the semi circle marks on the muzzle end of the barrel where the black finish has been removed. Some of the black finish has been removed around the feeding ramp.

When i take a closer look down the barrel, overall its shiny, but along each side of the hexagonal rifling, I can see two marks (grooves maybe?) that are present along the length of the barrel, these marks are on each valley of the rifling. All I can say is that it is not as shiny smooth as the rest of the inside of the barrel.

Is this something to be concerned about?

I can't really get take a picture of it with my camera. The inside of my G19, which has about 1k rounds through it, is still shiny smooth.

2. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

put your camera on macro focus and put a flashlight at the other end of the barrel.

it might be lead build up if the previous owner shot lead bullets, which is a no-no with stock barrels.

3. MonsterB

MonsterB

without pics its hard to say...have you tried cleaning it good with a brush, or some patches with solvent on them to see if it comes off? If it still shoots accurate and reliably I wouldn't worry too much, you can always get a new barrel..good luck

4. vis35

vis35

Sounds like you MIGHT have a Miami barrel. Call Smyrna and ask. The Miami barrel has extra tiny grooves as you described to aid forensics examiners in ID’ing which bullet came from which gun, they can be special ordered on LE guns.

5. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Now that's interesting, never knew that!

DH

6. jnewguyin

jnewguyin

yeah, very interesting. I called and they couldn't offer me any insight. I guess I'll try and take pics of it tonight. one guy i spoke to from glock said its very hard to wear out a 9mm barrel and if i wanted to, with the current cost of ammunition, may be around 146,000 dollars in ammunition.

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

If it shot ok I would not worry about it. This is not the first time someone has suggested that it costs alot more money in ammunition to wear out a gun than the cost of the gun.

8. jnewguyin

jnewguyin

yeah i'll find out this weekend if it shoots ok. only problem is i'm still a new shooter so if the gun isn't accurate it may be because of me. But we'll see.

9. MonsterB

MonsterB

good example....in the past 4 months I have put well over 1500$ worth of ammo through my glock, still on original everything and it looks and works as good as new.

10. modelflyer2003

modelflyer2003

It's probably broke. I'll take it off your hands for $100, because I don't want you to be stuck with a gun that is less than perfect. LOL!

11. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

This was actually my first thought when I read the original post today. Without pictures, it's impossible to tell. They are not very common.

12. jnewguyin

jnewguyin

Well, i just tried taking a picture of the marks but this is the best I could do. It loooks like the arrows are pointing at shadows but they aren't shadows. These marks are on every valley. You guys probably think im worrying too much. Sorry for using a pdf file. Im working with a mac and i don't know how to edit pictures with the programs i have on my mac.

Attached Files:

13. AustinTx

AustinTx

It sounds like it could be copper fouling. Wet the barrel (bore) with Hoppe's #9 Solvent and let is sit overnight. Run a dry patch through and if it comes out bluish or greenish, it's copper. If it is copper, just repeat the Hoppe's until it's gone.

14. durabo

durabo

cant tell from the picture... maybe different angles... not so much light?

but yea what that guy said... its obviously broken... ill take the whole thing off your hands for $150, its not safe to fire that gun!

15. jnewguyin

jnewguyin

Haha, I'm sure someone out there has fallen for that. I'll give it another good cleaning and see what comes out.

16. vis35

vis35

The picture is pretty fuzzy but it does look like copper fouling. There are a lot of solvents that are more aggressive than Hoppe’s, like Shooter’s Choice, Sweets, Butch’s Bore Shine, and Barnes CR-10, use one of those to get the copper out. Don’t get yourself too worked up over it (it’s not dangerous, your barrel has not been weakened, it is not thick and constricting like lead fouling, which can cause pressure to rise), almost every rifle out there has some copper fouling, it takes a good copper solvent to get it out and most casual shooters don’t even notice it.