close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about shocks for my jeep

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FCastle88, Mar 10, 2010.

1. FCastle88

FCastle88

My POS Jeep Cherokee needs new shocks to pass inspection this month, I just need it to pass and keep going for another 6 months or so. I'm looking at either Monroe Sensa-Tracs for $45 or the basic Monroe or Gabriel's for $20-$25. Am I going to notice enough of a difference between them for it to be worth paying twice as much?

2. zeke66

zeke66

Holy cow!, PA inspects SHOCKS??!!? I've heard thet PA has some pretty stiff inspection standards.

If it's a POS and you don't plan on driving it more than another year or two, I'd get the cheapest ones that I could find.

3. Street Fighter

Street Fighter Texas A&M '07

Unless you are taking it off main roads you will most likely not feel a difference between the two, however you should notice a big change from the shot shocks you have and any new ones.

The real question is how long do you expect to keep it? If for a short time go cheap otherwise you may run into this down the road if you go cheap and keep the jeep.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  4. FCastle88

FCastle88

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure it's going to pass the emissions test either, might need a new catalytic converter. The shocks have been going for awhile now, but last week they went completely, and the front sway bar needs new bushings, so at the moment it's barely steerable. The transmission acts up sometimes, along with a few other things, so I'll be pretty surprised if it's still running in another year or two. I might have the garage replace the rear shocks though, the rear mounting bolts like to snap off and I don't have the tools to remove the broken bolts.

5. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Take a look at Rancho shocks.

I put them on my Chevy Silverado a couple of years ago and they have held up real good.

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I love not having emissions or other stupid inspections here :supergrin:

7. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

its a jeep man. keep it :D if its got the I6, its easy to fix up cheap. parts abound in junk yards and craigslist. i guarantee you cant get a better truck for the money you put into this one and hat you could sell it for.

i love my cherokee.

8. FCastle88

FCastle88

Yeah, I love the engine, it accelerates faster than a lot of modded out little sports cars lol. Only problem is I don't really have any tools and I know pretty much nothing about cars, and if the transmission goes that's going to cost almost as much as the jeep's worth, not to mention all the rattles and weird noises drive me crazy wondering what's going to need fixed next.
    What do shops usually charge to replace rear shocks? The last time I took it to a chain to get the oil changed they wanted to replace all four shocks for $550:faint:

9. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

should take about an hour labor to swap out the shocks. depends on the labor charges. thats assuming you take in the $25 shocks and dont let them charge you 100 each for them. thats where the $550 comes from. :)

jeeps always have rattles. its a jeep thing. this is a vehicle that is hard to destroy and easy to work on. id take this as a time to learn how to work on your vehicle. knowing how and having the ability will save you hundreds of dollars.

why would you assume that the transmission would be going out? maybe i forgot if its listed above? ive seen cherokees with over 300K on them and still not leak any oil and run fine. mostly depends on maintenance and how you drive them though.

10. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Jeeps tend to die from the outside in. The wheels may fall off, but the engine and transmission should still be good at a quarter million miles.

Mine got the Cherokee death shake last year and the whole front end had to be rebuilt but the engine starts on the first crank and goes 5000 between oil changes without using any oil.

11. FCastle88

FCastle88

I just checked the receipt from the chain, they only wanted $33 per shock for labor, but they wanted $100 each for $40 Sensa-Tracs:faint:. Although it looks like I would have gotten a discount for getting all 4 so would have been $450 total.
    I have another question, if they break the rear mounting bolts off would I have to pay to fix them since they almost certainly will or would that be considered their fault for breaking them?
    As for the transmission, it's mostly occasional jerky shifting, hesitating to shift, jerking really bad when putting into drive and park, etc. I was saying that if it does go it's not worth getting it rebuilt/replaced.

12. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

as far as the bolts breaking off, it will probably end up costing you more time in labor charges if they break as it will take them longer to replace them. thats just the way it works.

on the trasmission, try to have the transmission oil and filter changed before writing it off as a loss. sometimes a small metal shaving can cause al kinds off issued if it gets into the shifting process.

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I agree with this post. The other brands will probably ride about the same. Look at the piston size inside and see which is built thicker...better.

14. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

just buy a new paycheck XJ.

15. Sr. Bang Bang

Sr. Bang Bang

I love my Cherokee with the inline 6. I was talking about it with a guy who owns a car dealership in Barberton, OH. He told me "Never sell that car, those engines will run forever if kept up right. They're still made today for low duty bull dozers."

16. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

I've got a Wrangler and just put Ranchos on mine. I've replaced shocks on a few other vehicles as well. If you're not comfortable under there or have a decent set of tools, it'll be worth letting the shop do it. Unless you like spending a weekend pissed off and trying to figure it out.

www.jeepforums.com - the GT of Jeeps :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  17. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

My local Sears is doing free installation with purchase on Rancho Shocks this week.

I know it is Sears, but it is pretty hard to screw up a shock installation on older vehicles.

18. chris in va

chris in va

I've had the Monroe SensaTrac shocks on my 94 for a few years now, no issues.

However, and heed this well. Those itty bitty bolts for the back shocks WILL snap off unless you soak them in PB Blaster for a few days. Even so, GENTLY turn the bolt 1/4 turn at a time, back it off. Takes a while but you don't want to know what it's like to snap a few off and have to drill them out from the inside of the truck.:shocked:

I knew this would be an issue and had Sears do the 'free' installation with purchase. The guy worked on it for 6 hours and had to hit up the local NAPA for new bolts once the old ones snapped off and he drilled/tapped the holes. Boy was he pissed.

Transmission. It's a Japanese unit, AW4 or otherwise known as a 30-40LE...also used in the old Supras. If it's jerking a lot, back off the tranny cable in the engine bay. You'll see a black button with a cable attached. Engine off, open the throttle all the way and press the black 'D' shaped button. Release button, then throttle.

Also consider getting a new Throttle Position Sensor. They're cheap and tell the tranny how to shift according to how much gas you give it.

Beware replacing the fluid. If it's brown, leave it ALONE. Mine started slipping after a fluid change and had to install another unit. If it's still red, go ahead and change.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  19. FCastle88

FCastle88

I just bought a pair of Gabriel Pro Guards for $25 each to put on the front, might look into buying the rear ones from Sears, how are their prices compared to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts? Did they still do the installation for free or did they charge you for installing the new bolts?

20. FCastle88

FCastle88

I tried to replace the front shocks yesterday but I couldn't get the bolts to move, they're rusted in pretty good. I think I'm just going to return the shocks I bought and get a full set of sensa-tracs or ranchos put on at sears for $45 each.