Question about Remington Primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by chemcmndr, Feb 28, 2010.

1. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

I am just starting to reload 9mm. I was able to pick up some Remington 5 1/2 primers thinking because they said "small pistol" on the box that they should work for 9mm. After reading a bit more, I'm hearing that Remington 5 1/2 are actually small pistol magnum primers. Could these still be used for 9mm loads? What about something like .357 Sig, since I will want to start reloading that in the future? Thanks for helping the new guy!

2. Biggest Dawg

Biggest Dawg

Hi,

I would not use them in a 9mm or .357 Sig. They are definitely magnum primers, meaning they have a hotter flame and longer duration. Intended for larger charges of hard to ignite powders. The only ctg I have used SP Mag primers in is the .357 mag.
    In Remington primers you need the #1 1/2.

BD

3. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

my opinion is: you can't be too safe.

4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Your load design will dictate what you do when substituting magnum primers for standard primers.

If your loads fall into the mouse flatulence to mid-range loads you'll need to make no modifications. If on the other hand you are loading max, or near max loads drop back down to mid- range and work your load back up from there.

Simply look for pressure signs as you're working your load back up. If you aren't comfortable with basing your load development by pressure signs you probably shouldn't be loading near max anyway.

Experienced loaders substitute magnum for standard all the time depending on primer availability. It's interesting to note that Winchester hasn't made magnum pistol primers for years... their primers are interchangeable for both applications.

Take normal load development precautions and you'll be fine.

Jack

5. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Back off a few tenths and press on. Who knows, things like lower ED/SD and better accuracy have resulted.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Jack is correct. There is no voodoo about using mag primers, you just can't substitute them w/o rethinking your load. Which usually means backing off the powder charge a bit, like 3%, & working it back up. A chronograph helps a lot here, but can still be done safely w/o.

7. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

I don't plan on using the max loads. I'm just in it to save money. My plan was to use HP38 powder, which, from the book Modern Reloading, 2nd ed. by Richard Lee, recommends starting with 4.7 grains and maxing at 5.1 grains with a 115gr. Jacketed bullet.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Go to the manufactures site to check everything you read in that Lee manual for reloading data. But in this instance Hodgon list 4.6-5.1 gr for a speer gold dot. I would start at 4.6 and see how that cycles the slide. Work it up to the point it cycles the slide properly but is not near a max load.

9. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

All I use are magnum primers. My plinking / competition loads are all at the small end of the load range. I can safely load up to almost the max level for my powder( True Blue), BUT I cannot reach that max charge without pressure signs.

Because HP38 is faster than True Blue it might not be effected as much by using a magnum primer. The powder might be fully burning before the primer has expended all of its charge. This means that some of the primers pressure will be used to push the bullet out of the case. This also means that if you load close to max charge you are more likely to have explosive results.

As others have noted, start at the lower end of the load data and find what charge works for you. I would be surprised if you even needed to reach the halfway point before you found something that works well for you.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

HP38 and Win231 are the same powders. The Lyman 49 does not list a load for 115gr FMJ, but does list a 115gr JHP as 3.5-4.9 w/ HP38.

YMMV, I'd double check your load data though.

IGF