close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about Remington 870 HD

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by IMightBeWrong, Feb 14, 2010.

1. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Straw Dog

I just bought one and it's supposed to have a 7+1 capacity but it'll only load 6+1. When I try to get the last one into the magazine tube it stops with about a half an inch left needed for the shell to insert. Has anybody else had this problem and know how to remedy it?

2. 22highcaps

22highcaps

Which model is it?
    Factory or aftermarket mag extension?
    Factory or aftermarket mag follower?
    Are you using 3" shells instead of 2-3/4"?

3. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

The gun may be working as designed.

Normal 12 gauge 870 capacity (with standard 2 3/4" shells) is 4 shells in the magazine tube, plus 1 in the chamber, or "4+1."

If your 870HD has an 18" barrel, and thus has a +2 extension on the mag, then it is a "6+1."

To get a "7+1," you'd need a 21" barrel and a +3 extension.

When Remington advertises a shotgun as "holding 7 rounds," they are including the one in the chamber:

http://www.remington.com/products/f...-870/model-870-express-synthetic-7-round.aspx

-ET

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  4. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Straw Dog

It's the 18.5" barrel model all factory stuff. I could have sworn it was a 7+1, the 7th almost makes it in too.

5. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Just keep one in the pocket.
    You will be just fine with 6 :wavey:

6. mixflip

mixflip

I have seen some companies market their shotguns 2 different ways. My Mossberg 930SPX is marketed as a 7+1 but my Mossberg 590 special purpose is marketed as a 9 shot? Why not just call the SPX an 8 shot? or just call the 590 an 8+1????????

7. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

I thought they were 6+1? That's the way my friends is. 18.5 in standard 6+1.

8. carbofan21

carbofan21

9. ElevatedThreat

Incidentally, the value of a shotgun mag extension on a home defense gun, where the tube is left loaded all the time, is not so much to pack in that very last shell that it will hold, but rather to allow you to load the mag tube with 4 or 5 rounds and not totally compress the spring.

When you load the mag tube with so many shells that the spring is completely compressed into itself, two undesirable conditions can develop. First, the spring, if it as all substandard in terms of its metallurgy, can "take a set" through inelastic compression, and thus lose the power to smoothly feed rounds.

Second, the coils of the spring can actually tangle together, one inside the other, and again fail to feed.

These are not theoretical concerns. I have actually seen both modes of mag spring failure on defensive shotguns coming through the range over the years.

The number of founds fired in a home-defense type scenario is unlikely to be high, and I'd rather have 2 or 3 shots for sure from a shotgun loaded with 5 or 6 total, than a less reliable gun loaded with 7 shells.

-ET

10. ElevatedThreat

If you follow the link that I posted above, the description says the tube holds 6 rounds, with the 7th in the chamber.

The extra "slack" in the tube and mag spring, that you interpret as the 7th round "almost fitting," is there so that the spring is not over-compressed when the tube is loaded.

-ET

11. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I have the same 870 HD. It is a 6+1. If you take off the sling mount/barrel band near the front of the barrel, you will see the tube has been "kinked' to not allow the follower to go all the way to the end of the mag tube.

:cool:

12. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Exactly. I have the 18" model and it's advertised as a 7 round, which it is. 6+1=7. It wears a tac-star 6 round sidesaddle, so it's an unlucky 13 for anyone breaking in:cool: 13 rounds of 00 Buck 12ga. makes for a pretty formidable HD gun.