Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for whatever reason I'm think that if I have this done to my G32 Gen 4 it will help with muzzle flip & maybe take a little recoil off....has anybody done this already with success or am I just wasting my money ?
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
The Snowflakes have invaded GT
4,318 Posts
It has been my experience, ports are most effective on really hard recoiling guns i.e. magnums (rifles and handguns).
Very-little-effect to no-felt-improvement on lesser calibers.

Spend your money on practice ammo.

I have a ported S&W 640 from the Performance Center. It is a super nice revolver except the ports do not really tame the recoil and I get particles in the face, and it is a 357mag!. :sigh:

The other problem with ports is, people to the sides suffer from the blast.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
So for whatever reason I'm think that if I have this done to my G32 Gen 4 it will help with muzzle flip & maybe take a little recoil off....has anybody done this already with success or am I just wasting my money ?
Thanks for any suggestions.
I've got a G27 with an extended dual ported 357 Sig Storm Lake barrel.
And a Sig P237 with an extended triple ported 357 Sig Bar-Sto Barrel.

Ports act as a lever and IMHO work better on the end of an extended barrel.
It's been my experience that all port designs are not equal either.

I'm very happy with the extended ported Storm Lake.
In my hands the felt recoil is reduced as well as muzzle flip.
It feels more like a 9mm +P.

It's not apples to apples; but the triple slits in the Bar Sto
don't seem as effective as the large dual ports on the Storm Lake.
Albeit a different gun, the P239/Bar-Sto didn't reduce felt recoil at all.
Although muzzle flip was reduced.

Personally I wouldn't punch holes in the slide for ports.
Recommend you just drop in an extended dual ported Storm Lake.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have you ever thought that there may be a reason for Glock not offering C models with the Gen 4 pistols?...The dust cover of the Gen 4 pistols are not as thick as the gen 3 pistols. And you may be sure that the dust cover of the C models takes pretty much punching with gases and flames released from the ports...

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Not a concern. The dust cover doesn't take anything from ports. The reason for not continuing C models was miniscule sales. Most don't shoot at a level to benefit from porting anyway.
Have you ever thought that there may be a reason for Glock not offering C models with the Gen 4 pistols?...The dust cover of the Gen 4 pistols are not as thick as the gen 3 pistols. And you may be sure that the dust cover of the C models takes pretty much punching with gases and flames released from the ports...

·
Retired Member
9,198 Posts
Not a concern. The dust cover doesn't take anything from ports. The reason for not continuing C models was miniscule sales. Most don't shoot at a level to benefit from porting anyway.

Maybe you or someone else can 'splain this to me...

Premise:

With a ported or compensated gun, some of the expanding gasses momentarily trapped behind the seal formed by the bullet are vectored upward as a thrust-pulse. The ports act as "gas jets" to provide an opposite force to any muzzle flip, and perhaps a little felt-recoil.

Muzzle flip is somewhat compensated for by the upward thrust-pulse, or "rocket effect" from the ports.

Felt recoil might be alleviated a bit by gas pressure bled off by the ports, by stealing some muzzle energy and velocity from the round fired.

Questions:

1) With all the choices in cartridges and loadings, can't you achieve the same effect by selecting a "tamer" cartridge, with lower pressure and a lighter slug?

2) Aren't you compromising the performance of those cartridges known for their superior energy, by redirecting and bleeding off a bit of the blast pressure?

3) What's the real-world difference between a "Ported" gun and a "Compensated" gun? My LGS tells me they're different.

barth's observations make sense to me, since the "leverage effect" of the thrust-pulse at the end of a longer barrel would be greater than with a shorter barrel (or lever).

I do understand that competition (racing guns) are a whole different deal, a whole other mindset... But "porting" never made a whole lot of sense to me in a combat/carry pistol...

I was considering a compensated G31 a few years back, that my LGS shot me a sharp price on. But I figured I'd order an OEM or aftermarket non-ported barrel for it for HD/SD purposes, and with that added expense, it wasn't really such a great deal... I also would have ordered a .40 S&W barrel for it too, to shoot both calibers.

While I enjoyed the .40 S&W and .357 Sig models I'd rented, in sorting this all out, my final selection of what I was to own included 9 mm, .45 ACP, and 10 mm. But that's me.

--Ray

·
Registered
95 Posts
First, the C models may not be avaliable in USA now on then, but they are being still produced and distributed in Europe. We put an order of 450 Glock 19 Cs and Glock, Austria will be shipping the pistols next week.

Second, the dust cover really takes a considerable amount of battering in C models. You can even see the flash between the dust cover and the slide by naked eye. While I have yet too see a dust cover failure in a standard model Glock, even shot ten thousands of rounds every day, I have seen several dust cover failures in C models that are shot pretty rare compared to the standard conterparts I mentioned...

Third, please do not attempt to make any modifications to your pistol without asking it to the manufacturer or distributor...They may have known something in detail that you may not even guess...

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
That's not how a c model works. The ports don't put extra pressure on the dust cover. You are, however, correct about using care when modifying a firearm- and that the manufacturer is the best source of info.

·
Retired Member
9,198 Posts
...the dust cover really takes a considerable amount of battering in C models. You can even see the flash between the dust cover and the slide by naked eye. While I have yet too see a dust cover failure in a standard model Glock, even shot ten thousands of rounds every day, I have seen several dust cover failures in C models that are shot pretty rare compared to the standard conterparts I mentioned...

It stands to reason that some of the blast gasses and debris would encircle the barrel, and reach the dust cover. :headscratch:

I know LaserMax won't guaranty the performance of their guide rod lasers, as delivered, if used in a C-model.

Years back, in the Sights Forum here, I saw a picture of a partially melted FO sight rod in a heavily used C-model.

Will anybody with a little more patience and a little better disposition than Bill, answer my questions 1 through 3, in yesterday's post? :dunno:

--Ray

·
Registered
18,214 Posts
I agree with the post about large calibers etc. I have found porting to make a loud report when fired with lots of blast straight up and it mat scare a novice shooter. I see no help in a 40 caliber handgun at all but it is a great novelty. The .40 seems to be snappy to me and not as much of a push as a .45. The long barrel .44 and above are good candidates for porting.

·
Registered
95 Posts
GLOCK has decided to discontinue all “C”-pistolsets ( standard Gen3, od green, lockable).

Instead those models can be ordered from January 1, 2014 on.

GLOCK 17C Gen4
GLOCK 19C Gen4
GLOCK 21C Gen4

That means Glock approves using ported barrels and slides with GEN 4 dust covers...

Best.

·
Retired Member
9,198 Posts
That's not how a c model works...

If you were responding to me, I have to differ. That is to high precision, how a C-model works.

If you wish to press your assertion, then explain yourself. If that's too hard, then kindly let the matter drop.

--Ray

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Questions:

1) With all the choices in cartridges and loadings, can't you achieve the same effect by selecting a "tamer" cartridge, with lower pressure and a lighter slug?

>>> Well sure you can. But whats the point. If you want to shoot 165gn .40 you can go to a 135, 155 or 180gn load. But the bottom line is you will still have a snappy .40. The heavy bullets might help you with the snappy nature of the round. But then it's going to push more.

2) Aren't you compromising the performance of those cartridges known for their superior energy, by redirecting and bleeding off a bit of the blast pressure?

>>> Over all it's very rare for one to see a difference in terminal performance concerning the Glock C's. There vents are really pretty small. And near useless. On extended barrels that are ported one can see a drop in fps. Take my 10mm G20. I run a Lone Wolf 5.15" barrel in it. I've never shot a round one through the OEM barrel. So I don't know how fast it is. I throw a 6" Lone Wolf barrel in it and I see on average a 50 to 60 fps increase over the 5.15" barrel. I throw in a 6" ported barrel, 3 ports on each side. And it's 10 fps maybe 20 fps faster over the 5.15" barrel. This is very load and powder dependent. With faster burning powders not being as sensitive over all to the ports as slower burning powders that profit from the longer barrel less ports.

3) What's the real-world difference between a "Ported" gun and a "Compensated" gun? My LGS tells me they're different.

>>>A ported barrel is suppose to keep muzzle rise down. Honestly I don't find it very effective at all in a semi auto pistols. Unless the pistol is a true blow back design. Ported barrels work far better in Magnum revolvers with a 5" or longer barrel. And helps with the natural rise/flip of a high bore axis.

>>>A comp on a revolver is near worthless. The last thing you need or want with a revolver is it spitting out more flame and hot gases in more directions. But work great on something like a 50 BMG. :) On a semi auto pistol they help with the over all recoil impulse. They help to tame the slide recoil with the gases. And steady the pistol in the shooters hands. You will still get some muzzle rise from the shear force of the round going off. But it does help contain the energy of the slide movement. Thus almost all comp'ed pistols get a lighter recoil spring. Or the slide wont cycle. Take a G17. They have a 17lb recoil spring in them stock. It's very common for comp'ed G17 to go to 14, 12 or even 10lb recoil springs depending on how hot a load the pistol is running. Shooting bunny farts? May only need a 10lb spring to keep it running. Shooting +P stuff the 14lb spring might very well take care of you. Most seem to do pretty good with 12lb springs.

Hope this helped you. And don't over complicate things.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm not as sophisticated as most here are I would link a video from "theKGB65" on YouTube. He demonstrates the difference in a ported/compensated barrel vs a standard G23. Check it out, you may be surprised. I was.

·
getcha suma dat
247 Posts
Questions:
Shooting bunny farts? May only need a 10lb spring to keep it running.
Lmao.. I keep laughing reading that. I breed rabbits for show so maybe it was just funny to me.

I didn't want to quote the whole thing as to take up more space in the thread, but good post.

·
Retired Member
9,198 Posts
1) Hope this helped you.

2) And don't over complicate things.

1) Great post! Good info! :thumbsup:

2) Fine... Except that you explained more of what it does, and the benefits of doing it, than how it works... :tongueout:

Conclusions:

A) Both approaches, porting and compensating, re-vector hot gasses to improve control.

B) Porting tends to describe cuts made into a revolver barrel to redirect hot gasses to improve control.

C) Compensating tends to describe thread-on, end-of-barrel devices, that redirect hot gasses to improve control.

In the case of C-Model Glock Pistols, compensating also describes a ported barrel combined with a vented slide, to redirect hot gasses to improve control.

I get it! And I had it right before... :wavey:

If others find this too complicated, there are easier topics! :supergrin:

--Ray

·
Retired Member
9,198 Posts
Lmao.. I keep laughing reading that. I breed rabbits for show so maybe it was just funny to me.

I didn't want to quote the whole thing as to take up more space in the thread, but good post.

No, it is funny! :supergrin:

And...

Yes, it is a good post! :thumbsup:

--Ray

1 - 20 of 20 Posts