close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about picking up a dead deer...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jp3975, Apr 27, 2012.

1. jp3975

jp3975

If you find a dead deer on the road or elsewhere...

Could you get in trouble for poaching or anything of that nature?

Im mostly asking because i have an acquaintance in Florida who finds animals and makes things from them.

2. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Contact the dnr, they'll give you a posession tag in the case of a deer. Little critters, I don't think anything is required unless it is a raptor.

3. rideco

rideco

I would place a call or email to the Dept. of Wildlife and see what they say. My guess is its different from state to state and why ask ppl here on GT when you can just as easily get the correct answer from the real source.

4. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad woof, woof

This is a state-by-state DNR issue. PA does not allow this as far as I know.

5. Raleigh Glocker

Raleigh Glocker

Yes, they do. You just need to call the PGC to get a road kill permit, which takes two minutes. However, there are some dumb rules about what you can do with the meat. Plus, a PGC officer will come by to pick up the rack unless you want to tag it if it is in season.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  6. RichJ

RichJ

If it's a fur-bearing animal you have to have a hunting license and the animal must be in season.

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I know growing up in Indiana you had to call the Sheriff's office for permission first and they would send someone out. Otherwise I think they could get you for poaching. I was told Indiana had (may still have) a road kill deer list that they call people to come get them.

8. Marc1956

Marc1956 CLM #66

Makes things? :faint: :wow: :shocked:

9. thejellster05

thejellster05

I saw a car hit a buck last year on the highway and after I stopped and called 911 and made sure they were ok I got the troopers to tag the carcass and I took it. Made good jerky. Took it to a buddy of mine's who's a big hunter and that's how I learned to dress a deer.

10. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

As mentioned, the rules differ from state to state.

In CO, the CPW does issue roadkill permits that allow people to pick up deer or elk to salvage the meat. One can pick up the road kill only to salvage meat. There is no cost for a road kill permit.

One should take care of the meat and then call a wildlife office. Usually, a person will be instructed to go to a wildlife office to get a permit. In some cases, an officer may go to the roadkill site. If it is a male animal, an officer will want to see the antlers to make sure it is not a trophy animal. The head may be confiscated by the CPW in that case. If you want the animal to be tested for chronic wasting disease, there is a fee of $25.00.

11. tongix

tongix

If its a fresh kill,okey . Other than that leaveit alone.

12. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Pretty sure in MA it's a call to the po-po. I saw one next to the highway during hunting season. Clearly shot. I didn't have time to stick around to see if the hunter would claim it, or I would have tossed it in the truck after calling the SP.

13. woodasptim

woodasptim

My cousin hit a deer in her little Audi TT, a couple guys in a pickup truck stopped. She thought to herself "How nice of someone to stop and check on me." Without a single word or even a glance her way, they jumped out, threw the deer in the truck, and hauled ***. :faint: :rofl:

14. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

It puts the lotion in the basket. :rofl:

15. fgutie35

fgutie35

In Texas, you have to report it to the Texas Wild Life Department, before even touching it. Check on the "Hunting and Fishing" booklet that you get with the license to know the details. you can pick up this booklet for free at any walmart or Sport store that sells fishing and hunting licenses. You really don't want to look like a poaching suspect.

16. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

:rofl::rofl:

17. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

How do you tell if it is...uh....in season? :whistling:

18. Minnow

Minnow

Texas Parks and Wildlife considers such cases as deer taken by illegal means; (vehicles are not a legal means & method to hunt in Texas using a motor vehicle) and it was taken on a public road right-of-way (highway, street, avenue, county road, farm market rd, etc.).

A person could inherit an illegal possession of a game animal charge and possibly an illegal transporting of a game animal charge, or simply a taking deer by illegal methods charge if you got caught. It's cheaper to go to Taco Bell.

Look the local warden up here and call him/her for any clarification.
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/warden/find_warden/county.phtml

Have no clue about Florida, but I'm sure you could look it up fairly easily.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  19. Timotheous46

Timotheous46

First, make sure it's really dead.
    You wouldn't be the first one to put a stunned deer in your trunk only to have it wake up and be very upset.

20. gigab1te

gigab1te

In AZ, Game & Fish Officers, and most uniformed Highway Patrol (DPS) and Sheriff's Deputies carry the salvage permits. Permits are free, but must be filled out and kept with the carcass. You just have to call the non emergency dispatch number to report the animal on the roadway and request an officer come out. If the animal is not salvaged by someone and the meat is still good when a LEO finds it, it can be sent to State run residential facilities like orphanages, prisons, mental hospital, etc.