close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about memory

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by newshooter.45, Feb 1, 2007.

1. newshooter.45

newshooter.45

I have an older dell xps gen 3 computer. I would like to upgrade it from two to four gigs. The manual spec. are as follows:

Type: 400- and 533-MHz DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM

Uh... whats that mean?

Would either of the models below work?

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC Fully Buffered DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Server Memory - Retail

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

3. lens

lens

In most cases, branded computers need proprietary memory, not the generic stuff we see advertised every week.

4. srhoades

srhoades

I'm curios what type of application(s) you are running that need more than 2 gigs of ram.

5. Cassius

Cassius

I have never seen a computer not take generic ram and only take branded... Doesn't mean it isn't possible but I have never seen it

Either of the two rams you mentioned should work. The important part is the DDR2. "Non-buffered" just means to get non-ecc ram (a special type of ram)

6. lens

lens

I have!

I did tech supt at a college (1500 PCs) that ran Dell, HP, Compaq branded machines. Put the "wrong flavor" memory in the machine and it didn't work. Each one required a proprietary memory module (we used Kingston brand) specific for that product line.

Since we were adding RAM, this "might" have made a difference . . . as someone here earlier pointed out that he found that if you replaced ALL RAM with generic, he claimed it to work. Going to try that on a new Compaq Presario I bought (still in the box) soon . . . of course I won't want to throw out 1GB of RAM just so I can replace it with generic, but the effort should be educational.

BTW: I'm not implying that you have to buy the memory from the PC mfr, just that it needed to be certified to work with certain brand/model computer.

I'm willing to be proven wrong here by experimenting as noted above!

7. srhoades

srhoades

Actually non-ecc is the norm. ECC is harder to find and more expensive and in general used in server boards. The Kingston RAM he aludes to is ECC and therefore will not work.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I don't doubt anything with PC manufacturers, but I've never ran into it either. They all want to use some asshat proprietary hardware to make you call them with a problem. This is why I've built my own for the last 10yrs.

Although I have to work on an HP today, should be entertaining.. :) It should be easy though, the way she described it on the phone, I think the video card is toast. I just hope its a card and not onboard, or if it is onboard, installing a card will fix it.

IGF

9. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

newshooter.45

Are you sure your computer can accept 4GB of ram?

The only reason you would need 4GB of ram is if you are doing some heavy graphics editing or running a huge database.
    If this is for a game then look at your graphics card or better yet if it's an old machine then you may want a faster MB, processor, ram and the new pcie standard in graphics cards.

Go to kingston and see what they have for your brand machine.
    They have this handy dany little gadget that you put in the make of your machine and it will take you to a section on thier page with the recommened type of memory that you can use and even the max ammount your particular machine can use.
    www.kingston.com

After you do that go to www.pricewatch.com and find a company that is selling that same type of memory or close to it.