Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9BB5C537-67EA-45D7-A96C-83F24C2BA2FC.jpeg
Most mag springs I am aware of have little Bend at the end of the spring like a shown in the first picture. As you can see in the second picture I have clipped it off.
Does anyone know what the ramifications of that might be, particularly long-term?

The reason I ask is because I think I may have found a way to make ETS nine round Glock 43 magazines more reliable.
If you’re interested, what I’m doing, is testing Magills Glock store extra power mag springs in the ETS Magazines. They are specifically designed for +2 applications. The length of an ETS nine round mag is essentially the same length as a plus too. The interesting trick is ETS factory springs have one less coil. ( Factory Glock is 11 coils ETS is 10 coils. Glock store extra power is 11 coils.) So I have clipped the edges as shown in the bottom picture to make extra room so the ninth round isn’t jammed to tight.
8B5454F1-7413-488E-871B-F514379A9983.jpeg

·
Registered
29,119 Posts
How do you think that the short angled end, which protrudes into the space in the "hollow" center of the fully compressed spring, interferes with the round stack?

I've been told by a spring maker that sometimes they've been asked (by a customer company) to cut one full half length of a coil (on one side, front to back) from a spring, so the now "empty space" from the missing half of a coil can then be occupied by the coil above, when the spring coils are fully compressed. Not the angled tip, though.

From what I vaguely remember being told by a couple people from different companies, the added bit of "inward" angled tip of a bottom coil, in some double stack mags, helps to fully stabilize the bottom coil of the spring during compression and spring stack. If it were me, I'd leave well enough alone. Especially if it involved a magazine that was going to be dedicated to an actual protection/defensive role, and not just leisure/range application.

After all, it's not like the engineers who design springs just add things at random, nor is it probably a case of the spring maker just decided to use a wire spring that was too long at one end when the winds were done, so the "extra" bit was bent inward.

Just my thoughts. Whenever I've had a question about a spring, as a LE armorer, I've usually just called whatever gun company was involved, or the spring maker (if known, which it was in one case), and asked. Maybe customer service might know the answer, or might be willing to connect you to an available tech (who may or may not know that sort of trivia if that mag spring design has never been a "problem" for them).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
0BDFDDD0-70BC-4606-AC87-EC0AC051A423.jpeg
138173F9-9203-448F-B57B-26A826E4ECF4.jpeg
Thank you for your information! Probably good advice. I’m going to just try these out first and see. My biggest concern at this point is a drag on the bottom part of the slide. The one that I’ve done so far has about the same additional compression as the factory ETS which we know is close to too much.
Actually, the picture doesn’t fully justify it.
That piece that I clipped off actually doesn’t just go to the outside or the inside, it crosses underneath. And the spring is actually bigger on the bottom part so it goes from the outside and then crosses in.

I included some pictures also of how much extra feeling pressure there is at the end of the mag. Or at least the amount of spring illustrates that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts