Question About Installing a New Sound Card....HELP.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nalapombu, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all,

I have a Dell with XP and it didn't come with a sound card so I am using the On Board sound that's on the motherboard. I HATE it so today I bought a new Soundblaster live sound card to install.
    Now I know the installation is pretty easy, I have done it before but not on a machine running XP with On Board sound. What I would like to know is whether I should go into SETUP (when my machine boots up) and disable the on board sound BEFORE installing the Sound Blaster. That is the only thing I can think of right now that I am unsure about. I haven't read the manual or installation instructions that came with the Sound Blaster yet, I plan on it as soon as I log off GT.
    Are there any other issues I should be made aware of before I proceed with the installation? Anything you know that you can pass on that will help me would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the info and help.

Nala

2. AZ-Boog

AZ-Boog

You are on the right track. On startup go into BIOS (setup) and disable onboard sound. Save your changes and boot to desktop. Shutdown your system at this time and install sound card. Fire your system up after getting all the hardware installed and XP will recognize the new device and install drivers for it.

Just follow the installation instructions for WinXP that came with the sound card and you'll be fine.

3. blake711

blake711 Pro-Fesh-U-Nawl

I suggest before you shut it down and remove from teh bios to go into the device manager and remove all the items under Sound this way you wont have to worry about having any confilcts becasue of that.. Once its all removed say no To Restart and do a shutdown then enter bios and disable it there save settings when it trys to restat power off and add in the new card.. Have the drive cd handy for when it boots up.. Also make sure after installing the drive to check the creative labs site and verfiy you are on the latest version lots of times the cds in hardware boxes are out of date if the item has been on the shelf very long..

4. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Thanks guys...what a valuable resource the TECH forum is. I know it's saved me countless headaches over the years.
    Anyway, I bought the SB LIVE card at none other than WALLY-WORLD!
    Right there next to a couple of ATI Video cards. I know my jaw had to be on the floor cause I was blown away. I NEVER expected to find my sound card in Wal-Mart. Now if they would've had some RAM, I'd be in business.
    Thanks again guys.

Nala

5. Soujurn

Soujurn Deus Diligo USA

Another thing to think about. When you make changes to your computer, whether hardware or software, create a restore point.
    This is a real headache saver if something goes wrong or you just want things back the way they were before you "upgraded" your system.