close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about having one in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by LarryD1130, Feb 6, 2010.

1. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

I carry my g23 with me everywhere I can take it. I have it in an MTAC holster at about 3:30. I usually carry it un-cocked with 13 in the magazine. I am more comfortable with carrying it now and I was considering carrying it with one in the chamber because I figure if I need to use it I won't have time to cock it back. Now, when I carry it with one in the chamber should I carry it with 12+1 or 13+1?? I can already see people telling me 13+1 because you will have more ammo but 13 rounds is already a lot. Which way should I carry it and is there anything else I should know before I carry with one in the chamber?

How do yinz carry yours?

2. ctaggart

ctaggart

Take it from another yinzer, carry with 13+1. I carry a G23 every day in a Mtac minotaur with a spare G22 mag.

3. GoonGlock21

GoonGlock21

I carry my G21 13+1 I have no problems with it, as long as you have a good habit of keeping your finger off the trigger(resting on the trigger gaurdis a good habit) til you are ready to shoot you will be fine. it all comes down to you being confadinte with your gun, and your saftey practices.

4. RioKid

RioKid

I carry a G23 13+1. Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot and you won't have a problem.

Carrying a Glock with one in the chamber takes some getting used to, especially for a newbie. Just do what you are comfortable with. However, if you ever need it in a sd situation you may not have time to rack the slide and, keep in mind it takes two hands to do that. Your off side hand may not be available for any number of reasons.

5. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

In the overall scheme of things, carrying with one in the chamber or not really doesn't matter. Chamber empty gives some advantages and disadvantages, chamber loaded gives some different advantages and disadvantages. Rarely will either matter to the self defense gun use issue. A searach will show a number of threads discussing the issue. As for the magazine, as long as you have at least 1/4" of compression space left the round count also isn't much of an issue.

6. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I carry My G23 in a Mtac with one in the chamber
    Gun only comes out of the holster to SHOOT-I don't fiddle,fondle,or any other dangerous antics with my carry gun-BUSINESS ONLY for Mr G23
    I feel perfectly safe AS IT IS
    :wavey:

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I don't see any real difference in carrying it 12+1 or 13+1... I think its important that now that you're comfortable carrying the gun, that you carry it the way it was designed to be carried(ie, round chambered). Whether you chamber a round and drop the mag and top it off, is completely irrelevant to me.

Only things you should know, are the same things you should know before carrying it unchambered... Finger off the trigger, carry in a holster that properly covers the trigger, etc..

IGF

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Maybe I misunderstood, but I didn't take this as a "Should I carry chambered" thread... Thank God...

He seems to be asking after he chambers a round, should he drop the mag and top it off.

9. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

Wow, how time flies...I see it's already that time of the month again!

:popcorn:

10. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

Nope, take off your rose color glasses and come back to reality!

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Why Don't you take off your rose colored glasses, and quote his whole post...

Reading is fundamental.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  12. simmy952

simmy952

Carry my G27 w/ one in the pipe. Ready when needed. It's been said before and I will say it again, keep your booger hook of the bang switch till ready. When I unholster my weapon my trigger finger goes up the side on the frame. Do not pull with finger on the trigger. Practice with unloaded gun to get comfortable with it.

13. PDXShooter1981

PDXShooter1981 Computer Geek..

13+1 here, but it's really up to you. In a multi-shooter situation you are going to need more than 13 or 14, and in a single shooter situation, if 13 doesn't get the job done, i'm not too sure how much more effective the 14th is really going to be...

14. Oramac

Oramac

i carry a G26 in an MTAC at about 3:30. you will have zero problems carrying one in the chamber.

way i do it: fill the mag and insert into gun, rack the slide, eject the mag and put one in it, reinsert mag, gun into holster.

15. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

Thanks. I think I'll take the extra effort to add the other round. To all the people who said the stuff about keeping your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot. Thanks but I know that and every other safety rule.

16. aimatdeer

aimatdeer Large Member

just like a revolver. you pull the trigger it goes bang. you leave the trigger alone and it does not go bang. nobody is afraid of a wheelgun.:whistling:

17. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Never heard anyone come out of a firefight and say "Damn, you know, I really had too much ammo on me. I could have left a lot of it behind." My opinion is that if you ever have to USE it, there is no such thing as too much ammo. There's a thread around here somewhere about a guy soaking up something like 19 rounds of .40 from a cop's handgun before dropping. He wasn't on drugs or drinking or anything, just determined.

Yeah, I'd top-up.

18. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

This
    :wavey:
    13+1 and often 15+1

19. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

Hey don't get your panties in a wad, I only quoted what I felt was appropriate...kinda like your wishful interpretation of his post above mine.

Besides everyone knows they shouldn't carry a Glock with one in the pipe, it's too dangerous, there are no external safeties on a Glock to depend upon.

20. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

DANGER DANGER:couch::toilet: