Question about Ghost Power Spring for Glock 43 Mag Extension

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dhodgeh, Jun 10, 2020.

1. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

OK, me and my 43 resides in the camp where a Pearce +1 mag extension will choke on the last round in the mag using JHP.

No problem with a stock Glock OEM mag (at least through the first 200 rounds).

I have read up on the issue here in numerous post, and have decided that modding the
    extractor is not something I want to do.

I did examine how a round sits in the frame using both a stock mag, and the Pearce+1 extended mag. Both appear to cant to the left at what looks to be the same angle. However, looking from the front of the frame towards the nose of the round, you can see where the round in the stock mag rides a bit higher than the Pearce+1 mag.

So, that has me thinking that I should use an extra power spring into the mag. My question, is how much power (or stiffness)? I noticed that Ghost has both a +11% and a +15% at reasonable prices.

Which would be more appropriate for the Pearce+1 extension.

Thanks

D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  2. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Forgive me for not answering your question...
    I just wonder if 1 more round is worth the effort? Go with OEM magazines and live with the capacity?
    Like my old flight instructor told me... don't create a problem where none exists!

yep380 likes this.

3. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

That is a valid question, and at the moment, I would say probably not, especially since I'm plan on using this as my EDC, with the OEM mags.

However, since I do have a couple of the Pearce+1 kits, the 'hacker' in me wants to see this work, though without any mods to the 43 itself. So it's more of problem solving effort than anything at this point.

Regards

D

2740dmx likes this.
  4. yep380

yep380

It’s the ejector that needs to be modified, not the extractor. Just want to point that out.

If you don’t want to do the modification, and I don’t blame you for not doing it, then I would recommend staying with stock mags. You know they work.

2740dmx likes this.
  5. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

Good catch - Thanks!

D

6. yep380

yep380

So I understand you want to try extra power springs, and that may be a fix.

I’d say try ‘em and see.

You can also get a tango down +2 extension, which comes with a spring. They are reasonably priced; like $13-$15 shipped on eBay.

I do think you’ll ultimately either mod the ejector or just stay with stock mags. If you do mod the ejector, the entire TMH W/ejector is something like $12. I’d get a spare and mod that, keeping the stock one untouched.

7. capcap

capcap

I bought 3 of the Ghost 10% springs and the ends were not formed correctly. I could not get the end loops to fit on the follower.

8. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Thanks for not getting defensive regarding my question.
    Glad to know that you are keeping OEM mags for defensive carry!
    And tinkering on guns.. can't argue with that! It's fun to problem solve and get a final result that we are striving for!

yep380 likes this.
  9. GlockyQ

GlockyQ Custom Title

I’ve always used an ext. power mag (from Lenny’s Glock store) with Pearce +1 in my G43s and never experienced any feeding issues with “wide-mouth” HPs like the HST or “long nose” HPs like the Gold Dots.

I have recently switched from Pearce+1 to Ghost+1 successfully without an issue because Ghost+1 comes with a +11% ext. power mag spring in the package. If you want to get just Ghost ext. power mag springs to use them with your Pearce+1s, I would get +11% springs instead of +15% springs because +15% springs are for +2 mag extensions.

yep380 likes this.
  10. pdugas

pdugas

11. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Lennie Magills Glock store also sells extra power springs. I’ve use those in my +ones without any trouble. But I must admit, not a lot of extensive testing.