question about getting a concealed carry permit in texas

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ELPALMER27, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ELPALMER27

ELPALMER27

wondering if you guys can help. i am looking in to getting a carry permit (funds pending) but im hesitant because i have a school loan in my name that i have yet to start paying on. i've been out of school for almost 2 yrs. now and i would really like to know if that will stop me from getting my permit before i spend the money.. i havent been to court or anything and do intend to start paying... just not quite yet. anyone else been in this situation or have any experience with this matter???

oh yeah sorry im new hi everyone :wavey: ive been following the forums on this site for a while on a friends account but rarely post anything you guys tend to answer all of my questions before i can ask... i did do a search on this subject but found little. may not have tried hard but i needed to introuduce myself anyways... thanks in advance for any help or opinions...

2. Jon_R

Jon_R

Welcome to the site.

I am trying to figure out what exactly you are asking. Is this the question?

"Will being behind on a student loan make me ineligible to get a Concealed Weapons Permit in Texas."

Texas is shall issue like FL. In FL finances are not a factor that can be used to turn down your application for concealed carry permit. I am almost certain it is the same in Texas hopefully someone else can comment specifically on Texas.

3. ELPALMER27

ELPALMER27

Jon_R
    Yes that is exactly what I am asking, I guess thats a better way of phraseing it. I've just never really been able to fully understand laws with the way they are phrased on government websites, without someone putting them in laymens <sp?> terms for me... :embarassed: so i may have misunderstood, but I THOUGHT I read something about federal loans being exempt as a non disqualifier, But im not to sure so any help would be great... thanks for your reply

4. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Texas makes it difficult if you're behind on Child Support for sure. I'm not sure about student loans, but I suggest you get your ducks in a row before applying.

5. norm357

norm357

You people ask some of the strangest questions.

6. txinvestigator

txinvestigator

Texas does not care if you are "behind" on anything. Being in default on student loans was once a disqualifier, but no more.

Texas does make one ineligible if one; has been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general;or has been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state.

DPS queries these agencies when you apply for a CHL and those agencies gives a yes/no response to DPS. DPS does not make the determination.

7. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

It's really good, having this guy around.

8. Street Fighter

Street Fighter Texas A&M '07

When I took my class it was still something that could hold you back if you defaulted, however it changed this past year so student loans going into default will no longer hold you up, but it will destroy your credit FYI.

You should have no problem.

9. ELPALMER27

ELPALMER27

I agree cjlandry thank you very much Txinvestigator thats what i wanted to know. so i should be in the clear the only thing i owe is the student loan and my daughter lives with her mother and I. So no child support, unless you count spending almost every dime you make on needs and a few wants for your kid child support. Sucks when it feels like you go to work and make a pay check just to turn around and spend it on someone other than yourself every week, wouldnt change it for the world though... well mabey the every dime part... lol :supergrin:

10. ELPALMER27

ELPALMER27

Thank you guys very much yall always seem to have the answers... most of the time i dont even feel the need to ask before someone has already answered my ?

11. Motown Fire

Motown Fire Everett

Texas does not perform a credit check when you apply for a CHL. I think your good to go as long as you can pass the background.

12. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

13. chief

chief

they check your criminal record, not your credit record. you didn't burn ants with a magnifying glass when you were young, did you? I'm not sure if that'll come back to haunt you or not.

14. txinvestigator

txinvestigator

Part of that "background" as has already been stated is not being finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general; and not finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state