close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about G19 recoil spring

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 125K9, Jan 22, 2010.

1. 125K9

125K9

I certainly don't mean to start a debate over stock vs. after market recoil rods/springs, but those of you that have changed to steel recoil rods did you go with a captured spring or non-captured? Thank you all very much.

2. gator2thdoc

gator2thdoc

I went with Wolff non captured rods and they are great...no problems at all.

3. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Once it's installed in the gun, the slide is what really keeps the spring from coming off the end of the rod anyway, so when installed, the two types work exactly the same - or are supposed to.

I had one exception. A captured setup I bought had a screw head that wasn't big enough to keep the ID of the spring from sliding over it and coming right off (when it was out of the gun), so it came with a small plastic washer under the screw head that had a larger OD, and kept the spring on there. The problem was that the ID of the plastic washer was barely big enough to slide over the rod when the gun cycled, and it interfered with reliable operation because it was draging on the rod. I took the screw and washer off and started using the rod as an uncaptured unit, and the problem went away.

The only real advantage of the uncaptured setup is that it's a little quicker to change to springs of different weight at the range without having to take a screw out to do it, (or alternatively, without having to own several different rods that already have springs on them). The downside is that is a lot harder to install an uncaptured unit on the gun, or remove it, without the spring flying out of your hand until you get the hang of it.

When buying, consider that if you get an uncaptured unit, then uncaptured is all it can ever be, since it has no threaded hole in the end. If you buy the captured type, all you have to do is take the screw out, and now it is an uncaptured unit with a threaded hole in the end that just isn't being used - which is what I'm doing now with mine.

4. 125K9

125K9

Thanks guys. I'm specifically thinking of Wolff non-captured vs. a LWD captured unit. Has anyone ever had any trouble with the LWD setup? The end cap of the captured unit is my primary concern.

5. stroker

stroker

i use the captured sytle & have never had any problem with it . I guess it's what a certain person wants . Both are very good in my opinion. Buttt you know whats thats worth:whistling:

6. bradleybear

bradleybear

I used the captured. Just for the insurance of not having the spring go "zingggg" and disappear.