Glock 17 Question about G17 frames

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Adam Thiel, Apr 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Adam Thiel

Adam Thiel

When did Glock start making the G17 frames with two cross pins instead of one? Was it when they switched to the frames with finger grooves, or before? Do you guys prefer the extra cross pin?

2. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

I believe they changed over from the 2-pin to the 3-pin in 9mm frames long after they went to the 3rd gen frames (so you should find 2 and 3 pin 3rd gen 9mm frames out there). I can only speculate that the main reason for the change is uniformity across Glock caliber model frames (streamlined production process and cost). The 3rd pin boost in frame strength is probably not really necessary on the 9mm caliber.

3. Adam Thiel

Adam Thiel

Thanks for the reply. Recently, I've been hot for a 9mm (I've never owned one), and was curious about the various changes in the 17. I prefer the old style grip w/o the finger grooves, and I thought there might be soem cross over (that is, I thought I might be able to find an old style frame with the extra pin). Thanks again.

4. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

3-pin 9mm frames came out in mid 2003.

It made fiscal sense to Gaston that it's easier to just make frames for the 9mm, 40 and .357 SIG on the same jig.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a strengthened/supported 9mm locking block.

2nd gen 9mm frames with 3 pins do not exist.

gman67

5. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

What he said. It's not necessary, but it's nice they made a durable pistol moreso.