Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings - I have finally put together the $$ for a 19X - but I've got (prolly a dumb) question first. Do the 19X's have the older/better finish on the barrels? I've seen a few posts with photos about the Gen5's incl G45 having a barrel finish that wears away quickly. One photo (here) showed a lot of barrel wear after only 250-rd on a G45. I hope, and assume, the 19X has the more tenacious (Tennifer ;) ) finish... Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No joy for those of us who mourn the loss of Tenifer. The new greatness is called DLC. Stands for Diamond Like Coating. It's on the 19X as well as the G45 as I understand it. The cosmetic finish on the newer models is not durable. The corrosion resistance & longevity of the metal treatments ? Well, the jury is still out on that, but from what I've seen it doesn't harken back to the frying pan finish over Tenifer by any stretch. New Glocks scratch easily, and wear more like bluing than anything else that comes to mind. .... Just my experience. I haven't seen or heard of any corrosion issues, so I guess that's a plus.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
No joy for those of us who mourn the loss of Tenifer. The new greatness is called DLC. Stands for Diamond Like Coating. It's on the 19X as well as the G45 as I understand it. The cosmetic finish on the newer models is not durable. The corrosion resistance & longevity of the metal treatments ? Well, the jury is still out on that, but from what I've seen it doesn't harken back to the frying pan finish over Tenifer by any stretch. New Glocks scratch easily, and wear more like bluing than anything else that comes to mind. .... Just my experience. I haven't seen or heard of any corrosion issues, so I guess that's a plus.

Good luck
Ah, the myth of the older Glock.

Gun Trigger Revolver Shotgun Air gun

·
Registered
594 Posts

Good luck
Actually, it stands for Diamond Like Carbon - which is a variation of Physical Vapor Deposition. And Glock has their own proprietary version(s) of it. And I don't believe you for a second about scratching. If you had a lemon, or used junk holsters, that would be a different story - but without context and evidence, I'm calling you out on that statement.

My EDC - and early gen 5 G19 about 1 year old, right at the 10k rounds-fired mark, and EASILY 1,000+ draws from a couple different Kydex holsters in various cleanliness conditions - the exterior slide finish still looks new.

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Air gun

Glock's nDLC IS significantly more resistant to things that matter - like holster wear - which easily kills off the previous gen 1-4 finishes with relative ease. I see the same thing across the board with every gen 5 I've seen. Barrel shows meaningless "wear" and the slide holds up FAR better to holster work than all previous gens.

To the OP: Gen 5 and 19X barrels are all nDLC finished, and will show cosmetic "wear" quickly as it's two equally "hard" surfaces interfacing with each other - but functionally, the Glock Marksman Barrel is superior to all of its predecessors.

Some of the gen 3 and 4 nitriding on the barrels takes longer to look "worn." But it's important to note the difference is nitriding is a metal treatment, and DLC/PVD is a coating, and they share some of the same capabilities, but not all. Moving to a slick coating was the right call to improve reliability earlier in the firearm's lifespan (prior to the moving parts breaking-in).

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much Gents - 'specially for the photos. There are too many other positives for the 19X - so I'm going to get it. The barrel doesn't look bad at all after 1000 and looks good enough for me after 250! I doubt that I will ever get 1000 rounds thru it for the rest of my life ... :( ... so, life is too short! Truth be told, I'll prolly get a Lone Wolf G19 barrel early next year anyway. I think it'll fit both my Gen4 and the 19X. LGS has BL 19X's for $540-ish so my plastic is taking a hit this week.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Gen 2's & Gen 3's had substantial barrel wear patterns fairly soon, but all the Gen 4's I have owned showed wear only slightly, even after 100's of rounds.

One exception was a Gen 4 "summer special" I bought when they appeared several months ago. It not only wore quickly, but the wear was completely on the right side of the barrel... none on the left. It shot to the left, too (yes - even more than I usually shoot to the left!).

I just shot my new G45 yesterday. After only 50 rounds, the barrel shows wear. But I like this gun well enough to stick with it! It shoots well, unlike a Gen 5 G17 I bought a while back (also shot left badly). It will be interesting to see what develops with this gun.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks very much Gents - 'specially for the photos. There are too many other positives for the 19X - so I'm going to get it. The barrel doesn't look bad at all after 1000 and looks good enough for me after 250! I doubt that I will ever get 1000 rounds thru it for the rest of my life ... :( ... so, life is too short! Truth be told, I'll prolly get a Lone Wolf G19 barrel early next year anyway. I think it'll fit both my Gen4 and the 19X. LGS has BL 19X's for $540-ish so my plastic is taking a hit this week.
You won't regret it, I'm loving mine!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, again, to all ... glocker1 - Fabby pictures and you sneaked in a little jab and funny :) ... "... turns out it doesn't affect accuracy one bit ..." I really do realize that asking this question made me sound anal, but I have been so ruined by the superb dark blue/black finish on recent SIG barrels. They used to have the worst smileys in the business and they listened and fixed it.

·
Registered
8,559 Posts
G17, made 1988:

Unknown round count, but less than 5,000(?)
I think the X and G45 will probably look sorta like that in 30 years.

By the way: I tried this one just now, and dry-fired the X earlier. The new one requires noticeably less exertion to pop the cap.

Both totally ready for business!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks, again, Gents for the constructive input! Picked it up today and couldn't be happier. I solved the barrel wear "problem" as shown in the photo. The LWD barrel will fit both of my 19's and I'm aware that it will quickly show wear. For the poster who commented about the barrel wear being visible for only a millisecond ... keep in mind that one millisecond is 1,000,000 nanoseconds and I live in a nano world ... ;)

Edited to add: I think a Gen4 slide racker will fit - but not sure - or Gen5?

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

·
FL Glocker #182
1,160 Posts
The barrel on my new G45 looks more worn after only 3 mags than some of my HKs that I’ve shot thousands of rounds through. Only cosmetic- but the G45 will end up looking like I’ve polished the barrel after only 100 rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts